Posted to alt.home.repair

Default briggs & stratton engine

I am working on briggs&stratton motor.it has impulse fuel pump mounted
on carburetor.i rebuilt pump twice.put kit in carb.replaced fuel
line.i can prime and engine starts.when engine turns over i can feel
vacuum in line to block.fuel line has gas to pump but no gas to
carburetor.any way of testing vacuum line.or can some engine problem
cause no pulse to fuel pump .engine is 402707 16 hp.built about
1993.type 1228-01. any advice would be appreciated.I have to get this
old mower running.also how can i check for stuck or burnt valve.thanks
fred

Posted to alt.home.repair

fred wrote:
I am working on briggs&stratton motor.it has impulse fuel pump mounted
on carburetor.i rebuilt pump twice.put kit in carb.replaced fuel
line.i can prime and engine starts.when engine turns over i can feel
vacuum in line to block.fuel line has gas to pump but no gas to
carburetor.any way of testing vacuum line.or can some engine problem
cause no pulse to fuel pump .engine is 402707 16 hp.built about
1993.type 1228-01. any advice would be appreciated.I have to get this
old mower running.also how can i check for stuck or burnt valve.thanks
fred

About 15 years ago I gave up on that same issue after going through all
of that, and to save some grief, I installed a $30 12v electric fuel
pump from Western Auto(now Advance Auto Parts). Worked like a charm
after that. I sold that ~1985 model Craftsman mower(14hp Briggs v-twin)
a few years later.

Rob