Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mystery outdoor gas pipe

Where the gas piping comes up from the ground into my house, there is
a smaller "slave" pipe with a rectangular valve that loops back into
the ground. I have accounted for all indoor appliances (fireplace,
stove/oven, water heater, dryer, furnace) via the piping running
through the attic. I asked the guy from the gas company when he was
there flagging the yard, and he suggested it might be for an outdoor
grill hookup. Problem is, I don't see how a grill could be hooked up
to it. The entrance looks like this (fixed width font required):

Main ||
/-----------|| House
| ||
| Mystery ||
|---_ ||
| | ||
| | ||
| | ||
========================
Dirt

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Perhaps a former owner rigged up a line to bypass the meter? I assume the
guy flagging the yard actually worked for a cooperative company that flags
all utilities when construction is to be done and probably wouldn't have
cared if the line was illegal as long as he could flag it's existence (or
non-existence) in your yard. Or a line running to a separate garage heater
that is not longer there?

Tom G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 12, 2:50 pm, "Bill" wrote:
What about a gas light post in your front yard?

Interesting. That is a distinct possibility. There is a light post
there which seems to have the electricity run to it as an after
thought. It very well may have been gas to begin with. I'll have to
check it out when I tear into it for any reason.

Thanks!

mystery 30mm cast iron pipe jon UK diy 3 November 8th 06 07:14 PM
the mystery pipe?? Allie UK diy 12 June 15th 06 10:36 PM
mystery pipe in outside loo [email protected] UK diy 6 September 27th 05 01:13 AM
Mystery 3rd Pipe Séan Connolly UK diy 10 September 19th 05 10:02 AM
Mystery pipe Frank Mulvenny UK diy 12 August 26th 03 11:19 PM