Posted to alt.home.repair
k k is offline

Default Replacing a pond dam.

I have to replace the dam on my pond, after maintaining the old one for 20+
years. The dam is concrete over earth, and the April floods caused a
top-to-bottom crack in the concrete part, and now a whole section has
shifted.. I can get some $ help from the vol fire dept, because they
created an area to pump water from a few years back, and rely on the pond
for local fire protection.

Back then, they drained the pond with huge pumps in order to dig their holes
and line them, so I suppose that's the best way to allow for a pour once the
old cement is pulled out.

I just don't know much about this, and haven't been able to find an engineer
locally who know a lot more than I do.

The hydraulics are this: The pond is about 1/3 acre in size, with an
average depth of about 5 ft, and a pocket that goes down about 15 ft. It's
fed by a brook that floods with rain, and never, ever goes dry. Also,spring
water bubbles up in three different areas. It was originally dug out and
dammed around 1950 as a swimming hole for the then owner

When we moved here, there was a local source of clay: a brickyard, which has
since closed up. I could patch leaks with that clay and, believe it or not,
brown plastic bags.

I can get an idea of the original construction just from looking. The lower
dam is boulders and dirt, probably clay, and the concrete was poured on the
uneven surface of the rocks. The uneven area at the bottom is where I did a
little patching every year.

The concrete portion is 15 ft wide by about 3 ft high and 18" thick, and
it's concrete with a lot of stone in it, probably 2" stuff.

My question: what do I do to get this right, and earn a permit without a
year's worth of inland wetlands intervention? I realize I'm looking at some
serious money, but I have some equipment to mitigate that. I still have to
hire somebody for forming, and someone else to do the pour, but what do I
need to make it right?

I'm hoping for real-world experience, but speculation from other smart
people is certainly welcome.

thanks in advance,
Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 11, 5:17 pm, "k" wrote:
[...]

Where are you located? Seems like there should be a local CE who
could hep you out with this.

This should be a pretty straight forward situation for CE after a site
visit.

Do an internet search for small dam / pond regulations for your
locale / state....many states have very helpful programs that
encourage pond creation without a lot of red tape....you've already
got a pond that needs a little help..

The fact that your pond is 50+ years old, averages ~5ft & only ~1/3
acre ....I doubt you'd get any hassle (rather you'd get help in making
it right) about your repairs.

Providing water for fire protection is a big plus as well.

The concrete portion of your dam is pretty small ...how deep (tall) is
the soil / clay portion of the dam?

Does the pond have an emergency spillway, overflow pipe & a pond
drain? These are features that a well designed pond should have.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

k,

Call the local agriculture extension office, they may know who builds
dams in your State.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair
k k is offline

wrote:

[...]

Thanks to you who have responded so far.

This is Connecticut, and it's not a friendly place if you want to mess with
water. A long time ago, after hurricane Gloria, I pulled the plug on the
pond because it was full of broken trees that the town ordered me to remove
, and I got in trouble that took three years and about three thousand
dollars to get out of. I've tried to avoid 'help' ever since. A company
not far from here had to pay about 80K in inspections, evaluations, fees and
fines to clean up an old pond that they wanted to donate to the town as a
park. Mind you, that was just for the permits, and it was twenty years ago.

The only good thing that came out of my earlier experience was a ruling that
Inland Wetlands didn't have the jurisdiction over 'forces of nature' which
they had claimed prior to that.

Basically, I'm saying that they are not friendly to landowners here, and the
public resources others have, I don't. I haven't found an engineer yet who
will admit to knowing about dams or ponds. At this point I'm hoping the
fire dept. will get an 'order' to force me to repair the dam in the most
expedient way, which will be my salvation from the permitting process.

So I just want to know how to do it right. Hasn't someone here poured
concrete across a watercourse? I want to do this right, but I can't take
another round with the wetlands group, whose regulations are written to put
the same requirements on homeowners as they do on riverfront manufacturing
facilities. I can't afford it.

thx

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 22:49:21 GMT, "k"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

You really have no choice. Just repair the crack.

ice dam questions dkhedmo Home Repair 2 February 17th 07 11:39 PM
dam around sump pit [email protected] Home Repair 14 November 8th 06 04:04 PM
Ice Dam Prevention Gary Brown Home Repair 4 September 7th 05 06:27 PM
How does a homeowner find a dam inspector in NJ? Cdon Home Repair 33 April 14th 05 06:05 AM
Fixing Ice Dam with No Attic [email protected] Home Ownership 1 January 24th 05 08:35 PM