Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water popping in faucet with a well

Hello All-
Wondering if anyone who is well savy might have an idea why all of a
sudden the water coming out of the faucet is making noise like there
is air in the lines. They well is older but has been working just
fine, there is a pressure tank that has 50 lbs pressure of air when I
checked. Of course there was water pressure. I guess I should cut
the pumps switch drain the pressure for the water and measure the tank
again, or is there an issue the underground pump.

I understand that I have not provided a great deal of information, but
that is allI have so any help - recommendations will be greatly
appreciated.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Meat Plow wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 11:08:38 -0700, Hank wrote:

Hello All-
Wondering if anyone who is well savy might have an idea why all of a
sudden the water coming out of the faucet is making noise like there
is air in the lines. They well is older but has been working just
fine, there is a pressure tank that has 50 lbs pressure of air when I
checked. Of course there was water pressure. I guess I should cut
the pumps switch drain the pressure for the water and measure the tank
again, or is there an issue the underground pump.

I understand that I have not provided a great deal of information, but
that is allI have so any help - recommendations will be greatly
appreciated.

That's really odd. It would take a quantity of air mixed with the
water reservoir inside your pressure tank to get into you lines. I've had
a well since 1970 and have had three pressure tanks, the latter 2 with a
bladder. Even though #2's bladder broke it didn't make air in the lines
since the outlet is on the bottom of the tank. Does your pump seem to
cycle quick when you run water? I really don't know where else you could
get air into your lines unless it's finely mixed with the water in the
pressure tank.

The other possibility would be pump cavitation or similar -- the other
poster's questions on well type and all are spot on for at least some
other input/insight...

But, may be time for a pro to evaluate as I don't have another answer,
either. Air ingress requires a suction from somewhere against the
system pressure which isn't real easy to come by...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Meat Plow wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 14:13:36 -0500, dpb wrote:

Meat Plow wrote:
[...]

If his pump is in his well room he could be sucking air somewhere above
the water level in the casing.

That's where the other questions answers could be of use, obviously...

Posted to alt.home.repair

If the faucet is making a Knocking/water hammer/gunshot noise, does not
start immediately, or is suddenly stopping mid flow, and you have a
spray head off to the side of the faucet it could be the diverter that
is failing. It can open/close quickly, letting the water pressure
'slam' and knock

garmo

Hank wrote:
Hello All-
Wondering if anyone who is well savy might have an idea why all of a
sudden the water coming out of the faucet is making noise like there
is air in the lines. They well is older but has been working just
fine, there is a pressure tank that has 50 lbs pressure of air when I
checked. Of course there was water pressure. I guess I should cut
the pumps switch drain the pressure for the water and measure the tank
again, or is there an issue the underground pump.

I understand that I have not provided a great deal of information, but
that is allI have so any help - recommendations will be greatly
appreciated.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 11, 2:08 pm, Hank wrote:
Hello All-
Wondering if anyone who is well savy might have an idea why all of a
sudden the water coming out of the faucet is making noise like there
is air in the lines. They well is older but has been working just
fine, there is a pressure tank that has 50 lbs pressure of air when I
checked. Of course there was water pressure. I guess I should cut
the pumps switch drain the pressure for the water and measure the tank
again, or is there an issue the underground pump.

I understand that I have not provided a great deal of information, but
that is allI have so any help - recommendations will be greatly
appreciated.

TIA

Well after thinking I found the issue by replacing the pressure tank
but next day same stuff - air in the lines popping so we called the
well folks out and the pump was the other part of the problem, the
pressure tank leaked causing short cycling causing the old pump to
finally get real bad.

Thanks all for the advise!