Posted to alt.home.repair
SQ SQ is offline

Default Sub-Zero fridge freezer defrosting

I have an older Sub-Zero fridge. It has a freezer at the bottom which
has
recently completely defrosted (Ice in the ice tray turned to water)

Any idea what can be done? I cannot find any temperature controls
anywhere
to adjust. Is this a normal de-frosting cycle?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 21:07:13 -0700, SQ wrote:

I have an older Sub-Zero fridge. It has a freezer at the bottom which
has
recently completely defrosted (Ice in the ice tray turned to water)

Any idea what can be done? I cannot find any temperature controls
anywhere
to adjust.

Don't know, but I suppose that is because they've promised you
sub-zero and it's not a question of letting you decide how hard the
ice cream should be. (Although in my fridge the freezer temp control
is in the fridge part.)

Is this a normal de-frosting cycle?

Yes, it's the normal ice-water-ice-water cycle. Called IWIW in the
trade. It is designed to make the ice cream icy.

Is it making any noises at all?

Is it still plugged in? Maybe the cat unplugged it?

Can you see the coils? Is there any ice on them?

Fridges can sometimes be DIY. When mine wasn't cooling well, it was
just because there was a mouse stuck in the little fan. I took that
out and two weeks later, another problem. I guess I or the mouse had
nudged the insulation because this time it was insulation in the
little fan. I don't think that's your problem, but check it out again
and get back to us.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 9:55 pm, mm wrote:
[...]

recently my friges defrost timer broke and stuck in the defrost mode,
you could have other issues, get a repairman out, it could be many
other things

Posted to alt.home.repair

Normal defrost cycle is only about 20 minutes. Sounds like
something more is wrong. How about call a couple appliance repair
companies?

Please let us know what happens.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"SQ" wrote in message
ups.com...
:
:
: I have an older Sub-Zero fridge. It has a freezer at the bottom
which
: has
: recently completely defrosted (Ice in the ice tray turned to
water)
:
: Any idea what can be done? I cannot find any temperature
controls
: anywhere
: to adjust. Is this a normal de-frosting cycle?
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SQ" wrote in message
ups.com...

I have an older Sub-Zero fridge. It has a freezer at the bottom which
has
recently completely defrosted (Ice in the ice tray turned to water)

Any idea what can be done? I cannot find any temperature controls
anywhere
to adjust. Is this a normal de-frosting cycle?

Sub Zero had one of the highest customer dissatisfaction ratings and highest
repair rates in a recent study.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Love to see that study, if you find it online.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Steve B" wrote in message
:
:
: Sub Zero had one of the highest customer dissatisfaction
ratings and highest
: repair rates in a recent study.
:
: Steve
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

[top-posting corrected]

"Steve B" wrote in message

Sub Zero had one of the highest customer dissatisfaction ratings and
highest repair rates in a recent study.

Steve

Love to see that study, if you find it online.

Well, if you have a subscription to Consumer Reports online, that will give
you one confirmation. It shows the highest rate of serious repairs at 24%.
The next highest was with Maytage at 16%.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQ SQ is offline

Update. The freezer was completely defrosted - for a few hours. Then
it quickly
picked up again and started making ice and acting normal.

A week went by and it did it again. Water in the ice tray - then
freezing again.

I realize it should defrost - but should it *completely* defrost?