Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Outdoor Wiring Question

I have some questions about installing an exterior outlet.

I have a circuit that has 2 exterior lights and an exterior GFCI
receptacle on it. I want to tap into this circuit and add another
GFCI. I plan to tap into the circuit along a run of romex inside my
basement, go out through the house rim joist & deck ledger and then to
the outlet. I plan to run Schedule 40 PVC straight out along one of
the deck joists to the far end of the deck.

Here are my questions:

1 - Is it OK to attach the GFCI receptacle, in an weather proof box,
to one of the joists that support my deck? The underside of the deck
is about 6 feet off the ground and I want to hide the outlet behind
the front rim joist of the deck.

2 - Assuming it OK to mount the box under the deck, would it be better
to mount the box such that the receptacle faces down towards the
ground or out towards the next joist?

3 - The junction box inside the house will be just inside the rim
joist and I should be able to connect the PVC directly to the junction
box. Should I run individual conductors from the junction box, through
the PVC, to the GFCI or is there a special type of Romex for this
application?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have some questions about installing an exterior outlet.

I have a circuit that has 2 exterior lights and an exterior GFCI
receptacle on it. I want to tap into this circuit and add another
GFCI. I plan to tap into the circuit along a run of romex inside my
basement, go out through the house rim joist & deck ledger and then to
the outlet. I plan to run Schedule 40 PVC straight out along one of
the deck joists to the far end of the deck.

Here are my questions:

1 - Is it OK to attach the GFCI receptacle, in an weather proof box,
to one of the joists that support my deck? The underside of the deck
is about 6 feet off the ground and I want to hide the outlet behind
the front rim joist of the deck.

Yes, make sure the unused threaded knockouts are properly sealed (with
sealent) and you must use a "while in use" cover

2 - Assuming it OK to mount the box under the deck, would it be better
to mount the box such that the receptacle faces down towards the
ground or out towards the next joist?

Either way is OK, but facing down, the cords may pull out

3 - The junction box inside the house will be just inside the rim
joist and I should be able to connect the PVC directly to the junction
box. Should I run individual conductors from the junction box, through
the PVC, to the GFCI or is there a special type of Romex for this
application?

Three individual conductors is fine. Romex is fine as long as it's not
considered a "wet location". A conduit in the ground is a wet location, but
I don't believe one strapped to the underside of a deck would be considered
one

Thanks for any suggestions.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

RBM wrote:
[...]

I'd use wet-rated cable or conductors anyway for exterior use -- cost
differential can't be but a few dollars at most for this size of a
project and what can a little extra caution hurt? Wet-rated Romex is
available and would be ok if the run is protected from physical damage
by the routing, otherwise protect it w/ conduit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I have some questions about installing an exterior outlet.

I have a circuit that has 2 exterior lights and an exterior GFCI
receptacle on it. I want to tap into this circuit and add another
GFCI. I plan to tap into the circuit along a run of romex inside my
basement, go out through the house rim joist & deck ledger and then to
the outlet. I plan to run Schedule 40 PVC

Make sure you use PVC electrical conduit that is approved for exposure to
sunlight. Ordinary PVC water pipe will degrade in a matter of just a couple of
years, and is *not* Code-approved for electrical use.

straight out along one of
the deck joists to the far end of the deck.

Here are my questions:

1 - Is it OK to attach the GFCI receptacle, in an weather proof box,
to one of the joists that support my deck? The underside of the deck
is about 6 feet off the ground and I want to hide the outlet behind
the front rim joist of the deck.

Sure.

2 - Assuming it OK to mount the box under the deck, would it be better
to mount the box such that the receptacle faces down towards the
ground or out towards the next joist?

Doesn't much matter, as long as you have a weatherproof cover for it.

3 - The junction box inside the house will be just inside the rim
joist and I should be able to connect the PVC directly to the junction
box. Should I run individual conductors from the junction box, through
the PVC, to the GFCI or is there a special type of Romex for this
application?

Either one is OK.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:

Three individual conductors is fine. Romex is fine as long as it's not
considered a "wet location". A conduit in the ground is a wet location, but
I don't believe one strapped to the underside of a deck would be considered
one

Sounds like a damp location to me: "...Examples of such [damp] locations
include partially protected locations under canopies, marquees, roofed open
porches, and like locations..." [2005 NEC, Article 100]

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

If your PVC is continuous, you can pretty much use any standard building
conductors inside it, however if it's not continuous, or as dpb said, if you
choose not to use a conduit, you can use UF cable stapled to the joists, but
be sure to use rain tight UF threaded connectors at the weather proof box

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have some questions about installing an exterior outlet.

I have a circuit that has 2 exterior lights and an exterior GFCI
receptacle on it. I want to tap into this circuit and add another
GFCI. I plan to tap into the circuit along a run of romex inside my
basement, go out through the house rim joist & deck ledger and then to
the outlet. I plan to run Schedule 40 PVC straight out along one of
the deck joists to the far end of the deck.

If the run is going to be hidden, you could make it easy on yourself and
just use UF cable stapled to the joist of the deck. You would need a
compression type connector to enter the outdoor outlet box, but only a romex
connector in the basement. The UF cable would need a smaller hole than the
PVC through the house.

Here are my questions:

1 - Is it OK to attach the GFCI receptacle, in an weather proof box,
to one of the joists that support my deck? The underside of the deck
is about 6 feet off the ground and I want to hide the outlet behind
the front rim joist of the deck.

Yes, it is okay to do that.

2 - Assuming it OK to mount the box under the deck, would it be better
to mount the box such that the receptacle faces down towards the
ground or out towards the next joist?

Whichever suits your needs, however if it faces outward you will need a "In
use bubble cover". If it faces down I think a standard weatherproof GFI
cover will suffice.

3 - The junction box inside the house will be just inside the rim
joist and I should be able to connect the PVC directly to the junction
box. Should I run individual conductors from the junction box, through
the PVC, to the GFCI or is there a special type of Romex for this
application?

It is easier to pull individual conductors into the conduit. If you want to
pull Romex I would use 3/4" PVC conduit.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 14:18:26 -0700, DerbyDad03
wrote:

I have some questions about installing an exterior outlet.

I have a circuit that has 2 exterior lights and an exterior GFCI
receptacle on it. I want to tap into this circuit and add another
GFCI.

You may not need another one, but I don't understand the rest of the
post well enough to say. Any outlet downstream from the current GFCI
will have the same protection if you connect it right. There are only
two reasonable ways, and maybe it's marked which one is which.

OTOH, if you are just using the circuit but are on a tributary that
the GFI is not on, not upstream from, then you have to get a second
gfi.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 9, 5:48 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
[...]

Doug,

Thanks for this reply and the later one about "damp locations". I'll
go with individual conductors.

BTW I don't know where you live, but in the area around Lake Ontario,
the sun shines down on our decks, not up from below. (kidding!) The
PVC will be run along an interior joist, so there is no danger of UV
degredation. Beside, I'm going to use Sched 40 PVC.

Thanks again!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have some questions about installing an exterior outlet.

I have a circuit that has 2 exterior lights and an exterior GFCI
receptacle on it. I want to tap into this circuit and add another
GFCI.

You may not need another one, but I don't understand the rest of the
post well enough to say. Any outlet downstream from the current GFCI
will have the same protection if you connect it right. There are only
two reasonable ways, and maybe it's marked which one is which.

OTOH, if you are just using the circuit but are on a tributary that
the GFI is not on, not upstream from, then you have to get a second
gfi.

"if you are just using the circuit but are on a tributary "

This is the case, so I need 2nd GFCI.

Thanks for the response (everyone)

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Sch 40 PVC only describes the thickness. Doug's point is to use electrical
PVC not plumbing PVC

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 9, 5:48 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article . com,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Doug,

Thanks for this reply and the later one about "damp locations". I'll
go with individual conductors.

BTW I don't know where you live, but in the area around Lake Ontario,
the sun shines down on our decks, not up from below. (kidding!) The
PVC will be run along an interior joist, so there is no danger of UV
degredation. Beside, I'm going to use Sched 40 PVC.

I was picturing it on an exterior joist, where it would be subject to
sunlight, but even under the deck and on an interior joist, there would still
be some sunlight filtering through the deck boards, although probably not
enough to harm it. In any event, PVC water pipe isn't approved for electrical
use, whether or not it's exposed to sunlight.

Thanks again!

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

--
Regards,