Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Blinds hard to open, can I lube with silicone?

I have the cheapo window blinds from Borg Depot. These things are notorious
for becomeing harder and harder to open.

Strong ratcheting sound as the spinning mechanism that the strings pull
against rub against the plastic.

How do I lube metal-on-plastic parts like that?

Certainly not a hydrocarbon based lube....that could eat the plastic, right?
Will silicone oose out and make a mess of the string?

--
I'm pretty sure that I'm not the man from Nantucket...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 13:55:41 +0000, Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

I have the cheapo window blinds from Borg Depot. These things are
notorious
for becomeing harder and harder to open.

Strong ratcheting sound as the spinning mechanism that the strings pull
against rub against the plastic.

How do I lube metal-on-plastic parts like that?

Certainly not a hydrocarbon based lube....that could eat the plastic,
right?
Will silicone oose out and make a mess of the string?

Try a dab of lithium, you got nothing to lose at this point.

Are you talking about the medication?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 9, 8:55 am, "Thomas G. Marshall"
. com wrote:
I have the cheapo window blinds from Borg Depot. These things are notorious
for becomeing harder and harder to open.

Strong ratcheting sound as the spinning mechanism that the strings pull
against rub against the plastic.

How do I lube metal-on-plastic parts like that?

Certainly not a hydrocarbon based lube....that could eat the plastic, right?
Will silicone oose out and make a mess of the string?

--
I'm pretty sure that I'm not the man from Nantucket...

At $3.65 for the smaller sizes, and around $6 for the larger, why even
bother?

At that price, I replace the ones on my rentals between tenants when
they are dirty.

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 9, 1:20 pm, "JMJ" wrote:
be sure they are completely open before opening

ps.com...

. com wrote:
I have the cheapo window blinds from Borg Depot. These things are
notorious
for becomeing harder and harder to open.

Strong ratcheting sound as the spinning mechanism that the strings pull
against rub against the plastic.

How do I lube metal-on-plastic parts like that?

Certainly not a hydrocarbon based lube....that could eat the plastic,
right?
Will silicone oose out and make a mess of the string?

--
I'm pretty sure that I'm not the man from Nantucket...

At $3.65 for the smaller sizes, and around $6 for the larger, why even
bother?

At that price, I replace the ones on my rentals between tenants when
they are dirty.

JK

Be sure they are open before opening??

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

Big_Jake said something like:
On Jun 9, 1:20 pm, "JMJ" wrote:
be sure they are completely open before opening

ps.com...

. com wrote:
I have the cheapo window blinds from Borg Depot. These things are
notorious
for becomeing harder and harder to open.

Strong ratcheting sound as the spinning mechanism that the strings pull
against rub against the plastic.

How do I lube metal-on-plastic parts like that?

Certainly not a hydrocarbon based lube....that could eat the plastic,
right?
Will silicone oose out and make a mess of the string?

--
I'm pretty sure that I'm not the man from Nantucket...

At $3.65 for the smaller sizes, and around $6 for the larger, why even
bother?

At that price, I replace the ones on my rentals between tenants when
they are dirty.

JK

Be sure they are open before opening??

JK

....and another case made for bottom posting made...

--
"So I just, uh... I just cut them up like regular chickens?"
"Sure, just cut them up like regular chickens."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 9, 1:20 pm, "JMJ" wrote:
be sure they are completely open before opening

ps.com...

. com wrote:
[...]

....and another case made for correct grammar...

Criminey, some days...

--
"So I just, uh... I just cut them up like regular chickens?"
"Sure, just cut them up like regular chickens."

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Jun 9, 1:20 pm, "JMJ" wrote:
be sure they are completely open before opening

ps.com...

. com wrote:
I have the cheapo window blinds from Borg Depot. These things are
notorious
for becomeing harder and harder to open.

Strong ratcheting sound as the spinning mechanism that the strings pull
against rub against the plastic.

How do I lube metal-on-plastic parts like that?

Certainly not a hydrocarbon based lube....that could eat the plastic,
right?
Will silicone oose out and make a mess of the string?

--
I'm pretty sure that I'm not the man from Nantucket...

At $3.65 for the smaller sizes, and around $6 for the larger, why even
bother?

At that price, I replace the ones on my rentals between tenants when
they are dirty.

JK

Be sure they are open before opening??

And be sure they are closed before closing??

JK

...and another case made for bottom posting made...

Yes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Thomas G. Marshall" . com
wrote in message news:xjyai.526$wL5.517@trndny04...

I have the cheapo window blinds from Borg Depot. These things are
notorious for becomeing harder and harder to open.

Strong ratcheting sound as the spinning mechanism that the strings pull
against rub against the plastic.

How do I lube metal-on-plastic parts like that?

Certainly not a hydrocarbon based lube....that could eat the plastic,
right?
Will silicone oose out and make a mess of the string?

--
I'm pretty sure that I'm not the man from Nantucket...

Spray silicone won't hurt anything and is the only product you can safely
use.

Since you mentioned cord. Are these wand or cord tilt?

If they are the 1" vinyl just trash them and buy some more. The 2" faux
wood is worth a modest amount of effort.

If this is a vertical blind, liberally spray the inside of the headrail and
that will almost always solve the problem.

Will be glad to follow up on this if you post more detailed info.

Colbyt

Door hard to open dnoyeB Home Repair 3 March 20th 07 10:49 PM
How to remove silicone from domestic hard surfaces? Peter Davis UK diy 37 January 11th 06 04:58 PM
Do hard drives fail from open covers? Sam Nickaby Electronics Repair 71 August 30th 05 08:43 PM
stuck windows - looking for non-smelly silicone lube Veggie Home Repair 11 August 31st 04 11:09 PM
stuck windows - looking for non-smelly silicone lube Veggie Home Ownership 9 August 31st 04 11:09 PM