Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pella door pricing

Hi all,

I kind of thought that if there is a product then there has to exist
MSRP...

For example, Andersen web site has the pricing information on their
windows. It may or may not be absolutely accurate, but it gives you
an idea, so that when you go to a dealer you kind of know what to
expect.

No such luck with Pella The only way to get any pricing
information seems to be to ask a particular dealer. So I give them
the exact door configuration, including where the sidelight is, on
which side the hinges are (!), etc., and they come up with, like
$2100... When I say that another store has it less expensive, it
turns out they loaded the door with all possible upgrades, including
non-standard color of the hinges... When they remove all (or part?)
of these upgrades, the price goes down to, say $1700.

Still not sure where I am... If I go with steel instead of
fiberglass, it's going to be cheaper. How much cheaper for this
particular door with this particular glass and sidelight? Maybe I
want fiberglass, but a smaller glass or no glass at all -- will it
affect the price? How much? Maybe I have a particular amount to
spend -- how do I figure out what I can get for this money?

Looks impossible to figure out all this without spending whole day at
a Pella store, and pricing all possible combinations (Forget Lowes --
they don't seem to be friendly enough to price more than a couple of
doors).

I even tried to call Pella, and asked for MSRPs, but was told they
(MSRPs) are not available.

Am I alone feeling that this is not normal? How do people usually
figure out what exact configuration to buy?

Thanks,
Arkadiy

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Arkadiy wrote:
Hi all,

I kind of thought that if there is a product then there has to exist
MSRP...

Don't know where you got that idea from...a relatively common practice,
but certainly not universal and there's nothing that says a manufacturer
has to follow the practice...

... Maybe I have a particular amount to
spend -- how do I figure out what I can get for this money?

Am I alone feeling that this is not normal? How do people usually
figure out what exact configuration to buy?

Ask for what it is they want and decide if that's acceptable or not. If
you have a price point, letting that be known can do wonders to prevent
the dealer from pricing products out of your price range.

But, as a general rule, my answer w/ Pella is kinda' like the old story
of the guy in the (pick your favorite) automobile showroom--if you have
to ask, you can't afford it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

But, as a general rule, my answer w/ Pella is kinda' like the old story
of the guy in the (pick your favorite) automobile showroom--if you have
to ask, you can't afford it.

Well I think I can -- I jus want to know what I am paying for.

Regarding cars, I once went to lease one. The first price they
offered me was $450. I mentioned that I looked on the Internet, and
this immediately dropped the asking price below $400. Eventually I
leased from another dealer for $330.

Just because you can afford something doesn't mean you should allow
them to rob you.

Regards,
Arkadiy

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Arkadiy wrote:
dpb wrote:

But, as a general rule, my answer w/ Pella is kinda' like the old story
of the guy in the (pick your favorite) automobile showroom--if you have
to ask, you can't afford it.

Well I think I can -- I jus want to know what I am paying for.

Regarding cars, I once went to lease one. The first price they
offered me was $450. I mentioned that I looked on the Internet, and
this immediately dropped the asking price below $400. Eventually I
leased from another dealer for $330.

Just because you can afford something doesn't mean you should allow
them to rob you.

That wasn't meant as a personal dig, only that Pella has always been,
ime, the "high-priced spread" and except for the Lowes connection,
relied on the "elitist" approach.

It also depends on the local distributorship from what I've seen -- in
TN there were two I visited--one in the west end that is "McMansion
heaven" area and another south side about 40 miles away in a more
middle-of-the-road area. Needless to say which was the more reasonable
to deal with on price, but did the "tell me what you want and here's the
price" as opposed to "let's look at everything you could possibly ask
and see" approach...

Lowes, of course, is a high-volume (relatively) low markup retailer and
I doubt the commission for the sales associate is any different for
Pella products than for caulk, so needless to say they're not motivated
to spend great deal of time on any one sale...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 8, 2:42 pm, dpb wrote:

That wasn't meant as a personal dig, only that Pella has always been,
ime, the "high-priced spread" and except for the Lowes connection,
relied on the "elitist" approach.

Well, I think "elitist" approach usually means that you pay for
prestige and for gadgets rather than for quality (or in addition to
it).

Can you name good quality doors without this "elitist" approach?

Regards,
Arkadiy

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Arkadiy wrote:
On Jun 8, 2:42 pm, dpb wrote:

That wasn't meant as a personal dig, only that Pella has always been,
ime, the "high-priced spread" and except for the Lowes connection,
relied on the "elitist" approach.

Well, I think "elitist" approach usually means that you pay for
prestige and for gadgets rather than for quality (or in addition to
it).

Can you name good quality doors without this "elitist" approach?

Don't get me wrong--I don't think you can miss on Pella for quality.
There are many quality manufacturers. If you can get a contractor or
builder to be the intermediary you _may_ find better pricing plus more
input on what feature(s) are of significance for your application.

Also, depending on where you are, there may well be local manufacturers
which are less expensive than the nationwide brands such as Andersen,
Marvin, etc.

Then again, there may be some local craftsman/men doing custom work that
will make Pella seem cheap by comparison...

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 11:03:06 -0700, Arkadiy
wrote:

Hi all,

I kind of thought that if there is a product then there has to exist
MSRP...

I think MSRPs were driven "into submission" by Crazy Eddie in the late
1970's, who would sell "to any federal, state, or local government
employee, or any member of any union at all". Thus, he wasn't a public
business within the definition of the Fair Trade laws, and could sell
at any price he wanted.

Later, places like the Price Club and Sam's Club got in on the action,
by only selling to "members" and the result was I'm almost certain
that the Fair Trade law was repealed and anyone can sell at any price
he wants. Hmmm. That would mean that a clause in contract with a
manufacturer that specifies a minimum price would be void. Not sure
about the ramifications of that or if that part is true.

Even if there were an msrp, I don't think they would have to tell you
what it was.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

That would mean that a clause in contract with a
manufacturer that specifies a minimum price would be void. Not sure
about the ramifications of that or if that part is true.

Minimum price clauses are void in the US. However, what the manufacturers and
distributors have done is jack up the product price and added all sorts of
advertising and marketing support rebates. Those rebates have minimum advertised
price (MAP) clauses that state the dealer can't advertise a lower price and get
those rebates.

--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."
"Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 16:19:51 -0600, Rick Blaine
wrote:

mm wrote:

That would mean that a clause in contract with a
manufacturer that specifies a minimum price would be void. Not sure
about the ramifications of that or if that part is true.

Minimum price clauses are void in the US. However, what the manufacturers and
distributors have done is jack up the product price and added all sorts of
advertising and marketing support rebates. Those rebates have minimum advertised
price (MAP) clauses that state the dealer can't advertise a lower price and get
those rebates.

Thanks. I hadn't followed it that far (in time). There's more than
one way to skin a cat.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Are you talking about their entrance doors? When I priced Pella entrance
doors a few years ago, Lowes was almost $1000 cheaper. Their ornate window
designs differed somewhat between the 2 sources but I called up the factory
and they told me that the quality of entrance doors at Lowes and Pella
stores was identical. So I save a grand and bought at Lowes. On the other
hand their sliding glass doors are different qualities at Lowes versus Pella
stores.

"Arkadiy" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

By the way I would definitely go with the composite Pella entrance door.....
it isn't wood, steel or fiberglass. It is their own material and having had
one for about 5 years now I can tell you it is terrific. Follow
installation instructions including buying their special tape.

"Arkadiy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Actually a few years ago the US Supreme Court said companies can pretty much
dictate retail prices again. And many do.

"Rick Blaine" wrote in message
mm wrote:

That would mean that a clause in contract with a
manufacturer that specifies a minimum price would be void. Not sure
about the ramifications of that or if that part is true.

Minimum price clauses are void in the US. However, what the manufacturers
and
distributors have done is jack up the product price and added all sorts of
advertising and marketing support rebates. Those rebates have minimum
advertised
price (MAP) clauses that state the dealer can't advertise a lower price
and get
those rebates.

--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."
"Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 9, 3:32 am, "Art" wrote:
Are you talking about their entrance doors? When I priced Pella entrance
doors a few years ago, Lowes was almost $1000 cheaper.

Do you mean Reliabilt? Or do you mean Pella doors at Lowes? I am
pretty sure the price for a Pella door now is almost identical at
either Lowes or a Pella store.

Their ornate window
designs differed somewhat between the 2 sources but I called up the factory
and they told me that the quality of entrance doors at Lowes and Pella
stores was identical.

Which factory did you call? One that manufacturers Pella? Reliabilt?

So I save a grand and bought at Lowes. On the other
hand their sliding glass doors are different qualities at Lowes versus Pella
stores.

Also what is the "composite" door? Never seen it in catalogues...
How are they priced?

Thanks a lot for the information.

Regards,
Arkadiy

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

I am talking Pella. Not some other brand door.

http://www.pella.com/products/entryd...ntry/materials

They call it "An advanced fiberglass composite material ". I don't know if
the material is different from mine but I can tell you mine is outstanding.

"Arkadiy" wrote in message
ups.com...