Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Problems with AC - can't get temp right

I have central air in my house and the unit and everything is about 20
y/o. I realize it should be updated but I have no control over that.

The problem I have is that if I set the thermostat to to 70 degrees
fahrenheit, then the downstairs stays about 70. But the upstairs will
be anywhere from 76-80, depending on the room and how hot it is
outside. So the problem is that people complain that it's too cold
downstairs and too hot upstairs. Ideally, I would like it to be about
76-78 downstairs and about 74 upstairs.

Why does this happen and is it normal? I know that a lot of air blows
out in the vents downstairs and not a lot blows out upstairs. I shut
off all the vents that aren't needed and close the doors to rooms that
aren't used. I have the fan set to "auto". I don't know if leaving it
on auto is better than setting it to "on". I don't like to mess with
it because it seems to cause problems with it.

Any opinions or suggestions (other than buy a new unit)?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike S." wrote in message
The problem I have is that if I set the thermostat to to 70 degrees
fahrenheit, then the downstairs stays about 70. But the upstairs will
be anywhere from 76-80, depending on the room and how hot it is
outside. So the problem is that people complain that it's too cold
downstairs and too hot upstairs. Ideally, I would like it to be about
76-78 downstairs and about 74 upstairs.

Why does this happen and is it normal? I know that a lot of air blows
out in the vents downstairs and not a lot blows out upstairs. I shut
off all the vents that aren't needed and close the doors to rooms that
aren't used. I have the fan set to "auto". I don't know if leaving it
on auto is better than setting it to "on". I don't like to mess with
it because it seems to cause problems with it.

Any opinions or suggestions (other than buy a new unit)?

You need to balance the system better, but you are on the right track with
what you have been doing. . First, be sure all filters are clean, no ducts
shut off. Be sure the belt on the blower is not loose and slipping. Does it
have to be lubricated? Next, close or partially close the downstairs vents
as you have been doing to force more air upstairs. Check returns to see
that they are not blocked also.

During the day, the upstairs is subjected to much more heat from the sun on
the roof. You may bet better results if you vent the attic better and
perhaps add some insulation.

Turning the fan to the "on" position will make it run all the time. That
may help distribute the air more evenly, but at the cost of running the
blower all the time. Closing the doors to rooms not used may help or
hinder, depending on how well the air is flowing around the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike S. wrote:
[...]

You are on the right track. Follow the advice Ed provided. I will only
add this. The real answer you have ruled out in that you may need changes
to the distribution (supply and return ducts) system and maybe increased air
handling capacity. That requires some measurements and math. There are
standard formulas for that. There is only so much you can or should do with
closing off vents. Close too many can you can cause damage to the system.

You may be in a no win situation as the lack of the ability to make
serious changes to the system may rule out the only real answers.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph Meehan wrote:

Mike S. wrote:

[...]

Both poster's gave excellent advice.
It is probably seldom that a manual J is done to get an accurate BTUH
heatgain for Each Room, and then a manual D performed to achieve the
proper air CFM Delivery and Return to Each Room, whether the room is on
the first or second floor areas. It can be done right but will cost
more, even during the initial installation, due to added duct & labor.

If you want the entire top floor cooled, if there are "Adequate Air
Returns to the airhandler," it will help to seal off the stairway at the
end of the top floor hallway.
That could be done with a temporary summer only setup, or a permanent
doorway installed. Are there dampers in the ducts near the airhandler?
If the refrigerant control is a TXV, it will help to keep the E-Coil
from slugging the compressor due to a lowered airflow caused by
dampering off some rooms or partially covering the first floor Air
Returns. You have to use caution when doing any of these things and you
must always have the input advice of a competent HVAC Tech that knows
all the aspects of that system! I am NOT responsible for what you decide
to do.
http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_b...syste ms.html
- udarrell

http://www.udarrell.com/
http://www.udarrell.com/my_pages2.htm
http://www.udarrell.com/recognizing_real_enemies.html ***
http://jesuschristsavior.net/Beatitudes.html
http://www.antiwar.com/ ***
Reality Is Not An Easy Thing To Be Confronted With, or to Accept!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike S." wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Lots of good advice in other posts. You should be aware that "buy a new
unit" will not solve your problem of unbalance between the heat loads and
the air delivery between the two floors unless the airflow is changed. A two
zone system or two separate systems would probably be much more
satisfactory.

You may have the best low cost results with insulation, awnings or other
shading, storm windows, caulking, or other means of reducing the heat gain
in the upstairs.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

if it used to cool the upstairs ok, then you may need to have the
cooling coil and outside coil cleaned to get better cooling/air flow.
ive found shutting off vents often cuts back on that full air flow you
need for cooling.also, if youve got a power vent in the roof thats not
working it can cause higher temps upstairs. lucas

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike S. wrote:
[...]

It sounds like the t'stat is doing exactly what you have asked it to do.
Problem is with moving hot air out of upstairs. Any way to set up a
small exhaust fan operating on a t'stat for the upstairs? 70 is darn
cold, IMO. Depending on how the house is arranged, and the room for
more air flow, perhaps a ceiling fan upstairs (in stairwell?) to move
air up or down as needed to get temp more balanced

TRV temp control or Boiler temp control? Edward Holt UK diy 11 November 19th 06 11:41 PM
Temp switch Justice Electronics 2 August 16th 05 12:39 PM
What temp do you keep your AC on? bmickey9 Home Repair 37 June 29th 05 04:39 AM
low temp snap action temp switch needed Albert Electronics Repair 4 November 15th 04 02:25 AM
Designing a circuit to control heater output temp depending on temp of an input James Electronics 18 April 7th 04 04:12 PM