Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pool Tile Repair Questions

I have a 10-15ft section of tile lifting off my 7 year old pool. Also
a few other tiles in another spot coming off.

The pool company want a flat fee of $250 for the first 6ft and $8 a
foot after that.

Sounds steep to me - does this sound expensive?

Is this a job I should be able to handle myself (semi-handy). Are
there any good sites or books that explain how to make such a repair
myself?

Thanks in advance!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Same as any other tile job but you may need to drain the pool to do it.

I'd buy a cheap air hammer and compressor if you don't already have one or
slug it out with a cold chisel and mallet. Remove all the damaged tile
(might as well do it right and strip the whole perimeter of tile.. Clean up
the surface with a wire brush and whatever then use a good quality modified
thinset mortar to set the new tiles. Finally use a good grout to finish it
off.

The price is reasonable really, considering the labor cost these days. Even
if they are just removing and replacing the grout, effort is about as much,
only materials are less that way. 1 foot is what; 4 tiles or 36 linear
inches of grout line. $250 to drive to your house, haul out all the gear,
prep the site, do some work and clean up. If that includes materials, it's
a good deal. If they don't drain the pool and do it in one day, its
excellent.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 10-15ft section of tile lifting off my 7 year old pool. Also
a few other tiles in another spot coming off.

The pool company want a flat fee of $250 for the first 6ft and $8 a
foot after that.

Sounds steep to me - does this sound expensive?

Is this a job I should be able to handle myself (semi-handy). Are
there any good sites or books that explain how to make such a repair
myself?

Thanks in advance!

Posted to alt.home.repair

The pool company want a flat fee of $250 for the first 6ft and $8 a
foot after that.

Sounds steep to me - does this sound expensive?

Maybe a little.

Is this a job I should be able to handle myself (semi-handy). Are
there any good sites or books that explain how to make such a repair
myself?

http://www.truetex.com/pool.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
.. .
The pool company want a flat fee of $250 for the first 6ft and $8 a
foot after that.

Sounds steep to me - does this sound expensive?

Maybe a little.

Is this a job I should be able to handle myself (semi-handy). Are
there any good sites or books that explain how to make such a repair
myself?

http://www.truetex.com/pool.htm

Depends on where you live.

Pool cover questions [email protected] Home Repair 1 January 4th 07 06:39 PM
pool tile replacement (small area) Mike Home Repair 0 August 22nd 05 08:56 PM
pool tile replacement (small area) Mike Home Repair 0 August 22nd 05 08:55 PM
pool questions I R Baboon Home Repair 7 June 13th 05 04:43 AM
pool tile crud removal SteveB Home Repair 2 May 10th 05 03:17 AM