Posted to alt.home.repair
TH TH is offline

Default composite decking

I'm was thinking about using some composite decking, but after reading
this guys opinion, I'm not to sure it I want to waste my money.
Anybody have any experience with composite decks that are more than 3
years old. I live in the Portland Oregon area, so it would be exposed
to a lot of rain.

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:...lnk&cd=5&gl=us

Posted to alt.home.repair

TH writes:

I'm was thinking about using some composite decking, but after reading
this guys opinion, I'm not to sure it I want to waste my money.
Anybody have any experience with composite decks that are more than 3
years old. I live in the Portland Oregon area, so it would be exposed
to a lot of rain.

Mine's at 5 years.
Pressure wash it once a year because it's under a bunch of tulip poplars.
I use water only.
Still looks like new.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
TH writes:

I'm was thinking about using some composite decking, but after reading
this guys opinion, I'm not to sure it I want to waste my money.
Anybody have any experience with composite decks that are more than 3
years old. I live in the Portland Oregon area, so it would be exposed
to a lot of rain.

Mine's at 5 years.
Pressure wash it once a year because it's under a bunch of tulip poplars.
I use water only.
Still looks like new.

Same here. I used "LongLife" brand.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Art" writes:

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
TH writes:

I'm was thinking about using some composite decking, but after reading
this guys opinion, I'm not to sure it I want to waste my money.
Anybody have any experience with composite decks that are more than 3
years old. I live in the Portland Oregon area, so it would be exposed
to a lot of rain.

Mine's at 5 years.
Pressure wash it once a year because it's under a bunch of tulip poplars.
I use water only.
Still looks like new.

What brand do you have?

Timbertech.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/despen/deck/deck.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sure nothing is *perfect*. However the composite decks usually
require a pressure washing and they look great. Wood WILL decay and
warp and need to be replaced much sooner

On Jun 7, 7:39 pm, Dan Espen wrote:
"Art" writes:
"Dan Espen" wrote in message
TH writes:

I'm was thinking about using some composite decking, but after reading
this guys opinion, I'm not to sure it I want to waste my money.
Anybody have any experience with composite decks that are more than 3
years old. I live in the Portland Oregon area, so it would be exposed
to a lot of rain.

Mine's at 5 years.
Pressure wash it once a year because it's under a bunch of tulip poplars.
I use water only.
Still looks like new.

What brand do you have?

Timbertech.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/despen/deck/deck.html- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 7, 2:48 pm, TH wrote:
I'm was thinking about using some composite decking, but after reading
this guys opinion, I'm not to sure it I want to waste my money.
Anybody have any experience with composite decks that are more than 3
years old. I live in the Portland Oregon area, so it would be exposed
to a lot of rain.

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:...ardenstructure....

Concrete doesn't decay. Why not do something radical and design a
outdoor stone and concrete leisure area that's totally differnet from
all the cookie cutter decks around you? That way you can be sipping
juleps while your neighbors are obsessing about their pressure washers
and deck stains? HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 7, 10:38 pm, wrote:
In article . com,
says...

Concrete doesn't decay.

You've missed all the threads over the years about trying to keep a
concrete patio/driveway/sidewalk looking reasonably clean and new?

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/

IMHO deck obsessors outnumber driveway/patio obsessors by a large
margin. FWIW, my nifty patio gets hosed off every few years (in the
midwest here) and looks just great after nearly 20 years. Most of the
threads in this NG relating to concrete cleaning problems are the
result of easily avoided owner disasters and sometimes sloppy
contractor mistakes. So there!

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 19:53:34 -0700, Joe wrote:

On Jun 7, 10:38 pm, wrote:
In article . com,
says...

Concrete doesn't decay.

You've missed all the threads over the years about trying to keep a
concrete patio/driveway/sidewalk looking reasonably clean and new?

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/
Updated Infrared Photography Gallery:
http://www.phred.org/~josh/photo/ir.html

IMHO deck obsessors outnumber driveway/patio obsessors by a large
margin. FWIW, my nifty patio gets hosed off every few years (in the
midwest here) and looks just great after nearly 20 years. Most of the
threads in this NG relating to concrete cleaning problems are the
result of easily avoided owner disasters and sometimes sloppy
contractor mistakes. So there!

We had a dark pink or light red "tinted"** cement patio for 8 years
until we moved, and we never did anything to it and it always looked
fine. **I don't know how they made it.

I must admit I've wondered why I need a deck, and so far the only
reason is that otherwise it would be 3 steps down. The patio above
was level with the screened in porch which was level with the den
inside.

On the side of the previous house was a pillared porch with a roof,
that we screened in, that was level with the dining room, but one step
up from the ground for the outside entrance to the porch.

Why not put three steps down at the door instead of at the far side of
the deck (and use a patio instead of a deck)? I guess because it
would look like the cheap rowhouses I drive by frequently, who have a
couple steps down and just a slab of cement 2x3 feet, then a yard,
with no trees. It would look cheap to have a step down, or 3, right
from the house. A screened in porch would make such a transition not
look cheap. In theory I should only care about what it is, and not
what it looks like, that it "looks cheap", and I think usually I do,
and if so, this is for some reason an exception.