Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Chraftsman 18hp. twin fuel problem

We have an 18 hp. twin fuel pump on the side of the carb . It was
working fine and then quit . It appeared that it was lack of gas as it
would start and run as long as you pored the gas in the carb . I
rebuilt the fuel pump and it still wasn't getting fuel . I took the
top off the carb and it was bone dry . I replaced the needle valve and
it still didn't get fuel . This time when the carb was apart I poured
some gas in the bowl and poured gas to the fuel pump line doing it
several times and turning it over to prime the pump . When I put the
carb back together it started right up and ran good . I took it out to
try mowing with it an again after about 10 minutes it acted like it
was starving for gas . Then it stalled again . Same problem . The fuel
pump seems to be powered by a vacum hose coming up from the
crankcase . Is there anything in the crankcase (filter)or something
that would plug up ? I can feel som air coming out of the hose when I
turn it over . I can suck fuel out of the gas line at the fuel pump
connection from the tank...Any ideas...Rick

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Rick wrote:
[...]

Don't know them well (actually, at all ), but a couple of general
ideas -- sure there isn't a crack in the vacuum line leaking? Ends are
notorious for developing same -- if have a little extra line, I'd cut
off length that's on the fitting on each end and try just as an easy
thing to do...

What about a leaking gasket(s) on the intake side? Any chance of an air
leak there? The carb cleaner spray test while it's running is good for
finding leaks although may not help much on that side since it's all
fuel, supposedly. Although if it's in the vacuum path, could help...

Would need to know the engine and model number to try to find parts
diagrams to see how they're actually built to get farther or more
specific...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On the side of the motor, there is a cover that's about one inch
wide, and three inches up and down. It's held on with two bolts,
you'll need 1/4 or 5/16 nut driver. This cover exposes the ends
of the valves (you will see two coil springs). This cover is also
a check valve. Every time the piston goes "down", this valve
releases a little bit of air. Soak the cover in gasoline or
kerosine for awhile, dry it out, and see if that helps. They get
full of grease and junk.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Rick" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 16:42:18 -0000, Rick wrote:

[...]

Nothing like a gasket *placed incorrectly* in the fuel pump repair.?

I get nervous when I have parts left over in a carb rebuild. :-)

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 7, 6:17 pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
On the side of the motor, there is a cover that's about one inch
wide, and three inches up and down. It's held on with two bolts,
you'll need 1/4 or 5/16 nut driver. This cover exposes the ends
of the valves (you will see two coil springs). This cover is also
a check valve. Every time the piston goes "down", this valve
releases a little bit of air. Soak the cover in gasoline or
kerosine for awhile, dry it out, and see if that helps. They get
full of grease and junk.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
You have to starve them.
.

"Rick" wrote in message

oups.com...
[...]

Thanks for the info , I'll check the cover also . It is getting some
air but it doesn't seem like very much to me . Rick

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 7, 9:00 pm, Oren wrote:
[...]

..through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..- Hide quoted text -

I have disasembled the pump already . Just to be sure , I checked to
make sure I didn't have the gasket reversed and that all the springs
are in place. Rick

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 8, 3:49 am, Clark wrote:
Rick wrote in news:1181234538.528546.153290
@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

[...]

It's pretty simple but maybe theproblem: have you checked that the gas
tank vent isn't plugged?

--
---
there should be a "sig" here- Hide quoted text -

Yes the vent is in the cap , I tried it with the cap off also. Rick

Posted to alt.home.repair

make sure that pulse line to the pump is tight on both ends sir

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On the side of the motor, there is a cover that's about one inch
wide, and three inches up and down. It's held on with two bolts,
you'll need 1/4 or 5/16 nut driver. This cover exposes the ends
of the valves (you will see two coil springs). This cover is also
a check valve. Every time the piston goes "down", this valve
releases a little bit of air. Soak the cover in gasoline or
kerosine for awhile, dry it out, and see if that helps. They get
full of grease and junk.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
You have to starve them.

Any idea where the plate would be ? I have looked the engine over and
checked the parts schematic and can't find it. Rick

.

oups.com...