Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Autstrailian Timber Oil on cedar: lots of mold

My composite deck has cedar rails, for esthetic reasons. I know, I know,
don't bust on me.

I've treated the rails with Austrailian Timber Oil, which did a wonderful
job at keeping a red hue while showing all of the grain.

Problem is, mold has grown on it like crazy.

Could I add fungicide to it? ATO is an odd beast and supposedly cannot even
take a tint added to it.

Or should I just punt ATO entirely and go with Cabbot, like everyone else in
the world seems to like for outdoor stuff ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 7, 9:02 am, "Thomas G. Marshall"
. com wrote:
My composite deck has cedar rails, for esthetic reasons. I know, I know,
don't bust on me.

I love cedar. I don't love what you have to do to cedar to keep it
looking new. Horizontal surfaces directly exposed to the elements are
the toughest. You may want to look into replacing the rails with a
composite that looks like cedar. You'll save yourself a lot of
maintenance work and they'll look better for a lot longer.

I've treated the rails with Austrailian Timber Oil, which did a wonderful
job at keeping a red hue while showing all of the grain.

Problem is, mold has grown on it like crazy.

I've read that the oils themselves are what the mold likes. Two-edged
sword.

Could I add fungicide to it? ATO is an odd beast and supposedly cannot even
take a tint added to it.

Or should I just punt ATO entirely and go with Cabbot, like everyone else in
the world seems to like for outdoor stuff ?

http://www.sunfrog.com/products/woodsealer.html
Has mildecide in it. Good stuff, but as with any of the sealers,
you'll get a year or two of life out of them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Any natural oil based preservative will mold, as mold thinks it is food. It
is.
Go with Cabot, and get either the acrylic formulation (no oil) or one with a
fast-evaporating solvent. Also you can get cabot with both UV resistance
and mildewcide in it.
You may first have to remove as much of the old finish as possible, with a
pressure spray or deck finish remover/prep solution.
Roger
"Thomas G. Marshall" . com
wrote in message news:GlT9i.7066$UD4.5690@trndny07...

My composite deck has cedar rails, for esthetic reasons. I know, I know,
don't bust on me.

I've treated the rails with Austrailian Timber Oil, which did a wonderful
job at keeping a red hue while showing all of the grain.

Problem is, mold has grown on it like crazy.

Could I add fungicide to it? ATO is an odd beast and supposedly cannot
even take a tint added to it.

Or should I just punt ATO entirely and go with Cabbot, like everyone else
in the world seems to like for outdoor stuff ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

--
I'm pretty sure that I'm not the man from Nantucket...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ignore prior send with empty message (if it didn't cancel).
Apologies....STUPID outlook express shortcut caught me by surprise.

--
I'm pretty sure that I'm not the man from Nantucket...