DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Need to drill holes in double top plate (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/203076-need-drill-holes-double-top-plate.html)

[email protected] June 7th 07 08:08 AM

Need to drill holes in double top plate

How long should my bits to be? 9 inch or 18 inch

is auger bits the best choice (0.5-0.75 diameter)?

Thx!

RBM June 7th 07 11:47 AM

Need to drill holes in double top plate

A garden variety spade bit works fine

ps.com...

EXT June 7th 07 02:14 PM

Need to drill holes in double top plate

However you may find that a bellhanger's bit works best, they are about 16
inches long, look like a twist drill and have a hole in the tip of the bit
to attach cords or wires so they can be pulled through the hole as you
withdraw the bit. Should be available most anywhere. When sharp they cut
fast and can handle the occasional nail without any problem.

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
A garden variety spade bit works fine

ps.com...

Colbyt June 8th 07 03:49 AM

Need to drill holes in double top plate

wrote in message
ps.com...
How long should my bits to be? 9 inch or 18 inch

is auger bits the best choice (0.5-0.75 diameter)?

Thx!

A standard double top plate is 3-3.25" thick in modern construction and no
more than 4-4.5" if built with rough sawn lumber.

I like the auger bits but a cheap spade bit will make a few holes before you
burn it up and will cost about 1/3 the price. The auger bits take a bigger
drill motor so if you are using a 3/8 use the spade bits.