Posted to alt.home.repair
Ook Ook is offline

Default Building fence around tree question

I am putting up a fence. A small Dogwood tree is right exactly in line with
the house where I want the fence to go. I don't really want to chop down the
tree, so I'm considering running the fence around it. Any creative ideas how
to do this and make it look good? I'm considering zig/zagging around the
tree but don't want to have to dig 3 or 4 extra holes just to go around it,
and to angle slightly past it would look funny. The tree is too big to move,
I don't have the resources to move something that would require that big of
a rootball to be dug up. Any ideas?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 6, 11:04 pm, "Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at
zootal dot com delete the Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote:
I am putting up a fence. A small Dogwood tree is right exactly in line with
the house where I want the fence to go. I don't really want to chop down the
tree, so I'm considering running the fence around it. Any creative ideas how
to do this and make it look good? I'm considering zig/zagging around the
tree but don't want to have to dig 3 or 4 extra holes just to go around it,
and to angle slightly past it would look funny. The tree is too big to move,
I don't have the resources to move something that would require that big of
a rootball to be dug up. Any ideas?

No ideas here. First you say it's a small tree then you say is't too
big to move. Fences and trees do not mix. Trees can be moved or even
replaced.

If that tree is in the way of your fence then you cut it down and dig
up the stump. I hope that's creative enough for you. If you are
worried then plant several replacment trees right away. That way your
concience over this one tree can be soothed and the project can
proceed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 7, 9:47 am, Lawrence wrote:
[...]

If you like the Dogwood- lovely trees that they are- just dig those
extra holes, an extra bit of exercise will be just right!
For you to consider and actually give credence to the tree, thereby
accomodating its position will make you a rare character in the world
of people and trees. Good for you.
You could, perhaps, alter the height of the fence to accomodate the
roots of the dogwood, ie. raise the panels in the relevant area,
perhaps plant a small shrub to cover the gap. Are you using (concrete)
gravelboards?

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 6/7/2007 12:04 AM Ook said the following:
I am putting up a fence. A small Dogwood tree is right exactly in line with
the house where I want the fence to go. I don't really want to chop down the
tree, so I'm considering running the fence around it. Any creative ideas how
to do this and make it look good? I'm considering zig/zagging around the
tree but don't want to have to dig 3 or 4 extra holes just to go around it,
and to angle slightly past it would look funny. The tree is too big to move,
I don't have the resources to move something that would require that big of
a rootball to be dug up. Any ideas?

You have three choices. Listed best to worse:
1. build the fence around the tree. _/\_ or _/--\_
2. stop the fence at the tree, and continue after, so that the tree
fills the gap. -- 0 -- or you can use a flexible wire fence around the
tree to fill the gap if security is a concern (from kids and animals,
not robbers!)
3. nail the fence to the tree (but trees grow bigger).

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

remember trees GROW, leave some extra space and avoid damaging the
roots putting in posts.

you might be able to build a foating V section around the tree to
avoid digging in its critical root zone.

I hope you save the tree.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 21:04:28 -0700, "Ook" Ook Don't send me any
spam wrote:

I am putting up a fence. A small Dogwood tree is right exactly in line with
the house where I want the fence to go. I don't really want to chop down the
tree, so I'm considering running the fence around it. Any creative ideas how
to do this and make it look good? I'm considering zig/zagging around the
tree but don't want to have to dig 3 or 4 extra holes just to go around it,
and to angle slightly past it would look funny. The tree is too big to move,
I don't have the resources to move something that would require that big of
a rootball to be dug up. Any ideas?

Is it a boundary fence? If you zig zag around it you will probably
need to consult your neighbour.

Why not stop the fence before the tree and then take it up after the
tree. Fill in the gap with something flexible and adjustable - chain
wire perhaps. Defines the boundary and gives the tree a chance to
grow on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 7, 1:29 pm, willshak wrote:
[...]

number two is a good idea.
Number three: avoid like the plaque.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete
the Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote:

I am putting up a fence. A small Dogwood tree is right exactly in line with
the house where I want the fence to go. I don't really want to chop down the
tree, so I'm considering running the fence around it. Any creative ideas how
to do this and make it look good? I'm considering zig/zagging around the
tree but don't want to have to dig 3 or 4 extra holes just to go around it,
and to angle slightly past it would look funny. The tree is too big to move,
I don't have the resources to move something that would require that big of
a rootball to be dug up. Any ideas?

Here's an idea from the landscape design school of thought -- make it
look as though the tree and the fence were planned to intersect right
from the beginning. So stop the fence short of the tree by about three
feet. Continue it on the other side with equal spacing. Then connect the
two fence segments with a semi-circular bench. Dig up the lawn inside
the semi-circle, put in some redwood bark and a couple of ferns or
flowers or other small ornamentals. Even if you never sit on the bench,
when looking out the window at it, it blends the tree and fence together
and looks intentional rather than looking like klutzy poor planning.

(Of course, if your fence has to be continuous for security or pet
containment, that isn't going to work.)

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 08:29:18 -0400, willshak
wrote:

on 6/7/2007 12:04 AM Ook said the following:
I am putting up a fence. A small Dogwood tree is right exactly in line with
the house where I want the fence to go. I don't really want to chop down the

I wouldn't either.

tree, so I'm considering running the fence around it. Any creative ideas how
to do this and make it look good? I'm considering zig/zagging around the
tree but don't want to have to dig 3 or 4 extra holes just to go around it,

It will look cute. The bench around the tree will also look cute.

and to angle slightly past it would look funny. The tree is too big to move,
I don't have the resources to move something that would require that big of
a rootball to be dug up. Any ideas?

You have three choices. Listed best to worse:
1. build the fence around the tree. _/\_ or _/--\_

I probably like the second better, even though it requires one more
post.

2. stop the fence at the tree, and continue after, so that the tree
fills the gap. -- 0 -- or you can use a flexible wire fence around the
tree to fill the gap if security is a concern (from kids and animals,
not robbers!)
3. nail the fence to the tree (but trees grow bigger).

I have a fence, a 40" high picket fence, and then a tree started to
grow next to it. Outside the fence are some woods, so this was the
natural spread of a forest.

I figured I had at least 10 or 15 years before it interfered with the
fence, and I figured when that time came, I could cut progressively
longer sections out of the picket fence, nailing the stubs to the
tree, or conceivably putting in two more posts to hold the stub ends,
and then just cutting off an inch of fence beyond the new posts every
time the tree grows an inch closer. Although I don't really feel
like putting in fence posts, especially with the fence and tree in the
way.

The fence is decorative, to keep in the dog that visits 3 or 4 weeks a
year, and to keep kids and neigbors from taking a short cut through my
yard. But one hole would not a short cut make unless the path outside
my fence were impassable. My gate has no latch nor springb and is
often partly open but no one walks in.

There had been a rose bush in this spot, but it had died, and maybe
there wasn't any grass to interfere with the "embryonic" tree.

It was about a foot high when I was sure it wasn't a weed. 10 or 15
years later it's about 20 feet high. The trees right next to it are
30 or 40 feet. I think mine is a poplar.

During its first year at 1 or 2 inches above the trunk moved an inch
or two farther from the fence, probably looking for light. I think
that gives me another 5 or 10 years. Maybe more. After 10 or 15 years
the radius is about 3 inches. The tree has no branches on the
woods-facing side of it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Putting nails into trees in never a good idea, never a good reason to
do so, either.
The bench is a wonderful idea, it will minimise the overall
maintenance of the fence and surrounding area.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ook Ook is offline

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
[...]

This one gets my vote also

I think I will indeed zig around the tree, and so that it doesn't look
funny, I'll put a bench there. My wife has been wanting a bench, so a bench
against the fence that zigs around the tree will look nicely. One of my
quandraries was how to zig around the tree without it looking funny. Thanks
everyone for your comments!