DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Rocks and palm trees (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/202923-rocks-palm-trees.html)

Roland Deschain June 5th 07 02:50 PM

Rocks and palm trees

Hello all,

I've got a few palm trees (10-12 ft Sabal's) in my front yard, enclosed in
a "bed" which is filled with mulch. I'm planning to remove the mulch and
replace with "river rocks" of about 2-3" size. I do plan to put down the
fabric weed matting first to control weed growth. My question is: should
the rocks be kept away from the base of the tree trunks, say 8-12" or
something, or can they be right up against the trunks? Each tree does
have a "dribbler hose" near (within 6") the trunk for watering, and I plan
to keep the weed matting cut away about a foot from the trunk. Will
having the rocks right up against the trunk cause any problems? Thanks.

[email protected] June 5th 07 02:56 PM

Rocks and palm trees

On Jun 5, 9:50?am, Roland Deschain wrote:
Hello all,

I've got a few palm trees (10-12 ft Sabal's) in my front yard, enclosed in
a "bed" which is filled with mulch. I'm planning to remove the mulch and
replace with "river rocks" of about 2-3" size. I do plan to put down the
fabric weed matting first to control weed growth. My question is: should
the rocks be kept away from the base of the tree trunks, say 8-12" or
something, or can they be right up against the trunks? Each tree does
have a "dribbler hose" near (within 6") the trunk for watering, and I plan
to keep the weed matting cut away about a foot from the trunk. Will
having the rocks right up against the trunk cause any problems? Thanks.

my dad did what your planning and killed his really beautiful palm
tree:(