Posted to alt.home.repair

Default removing latex paint from rubber weather stripping

I painted my garage doors and the paint did not cure properly. I shut
the door and the garage door latex paint now sticks like crazy to the
rubber weather stripping. So every time I open the garage door,
there is a loud ripping sound as the garage door rips away from the
rubber weather stripping every time I open it. Is there anything I
can used to remove the latex paint from the rubber weather
stripping ? I was thinking of just replacing the weather stripping
and that's it, but I would like to fix it first if I can.
thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"car crash" wrote in message
oups.com...

I painted my garage doors and the paint did not cure properly. I shut
the door and the garage door latex paint now sticks like crazy to the
rubber weather stripping. So every time I open the garage door,
there is a loud ripping sound as the garage door rips away from the
rubber weather stripping every time I open it. Is there anything I
can used to remove the latex paint from the rubber weather
stripping ? I was thinking of just replacing the weather stripping
and that's it, but I would like to fix it first if I can.

It would be simpler to replace the weatherstripping.
Rubber material has pores that the latex paint can
enter (easily if its solvent causes the weatherstrip
material to soften on contact). You may never get
the paint out without ruining the weatherstrip function.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

"car crash" wrote in message
oups.com...
I painted my garage doors and the paint did not cure properly. I shut
the door and the garage door latex paint now sticks like crazy to the
rubber weather stripping. So every time I open the garage door,
there is a loud ripping sound as the garage door rips away from the
rubber weather stripping every time I open it. Is there anything I
can used to remove the latex paint from the rubber weather
stripping ? I was thinking of just replacing the weather stripping
and that's it, but I would like to fix it first if I can.
thanks.

I'd try spraying some silicone on the strip first and see if that solves the
problem. Easier than replacing the strip or cleaning it.