Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flush heating pipes?

I'm looking to flush my heating pipes, since I recently put a water
softener in.

There's a hose connection on the return line leading into the back of
the furnace, and a valve below that that isolates that return line
from the furnace.

Below that valve, in order, is the cold water inlet (which has a 12psi
pressure reducer between it and the water supply), and a circulator.

Here's my plan, which I'd like a sanity check on:

1) Close the valve that isolates the return line from the furnace.

2) Run a hose from the drain to the Drainosaur, open the drain valve.

3) Turn all the thermostats way up, so the furnace runs and pushes
water through all zones.

4) After a few minutes, close the drain valve and open the cutoff
valve.

My working theory is that since the return line is cut off, the
furnace will draw from the cold water inlet instead, effectively
pushing new water through all the pipes.

I don't know how much water is typically drawn during operation, so
for all I know, the heating pipes area already full of softened water.
But that means they'll also be full of loosened calcium deposits,
which is the primary reason I want to flush that water out.

So is my plan sensible? Will the cold water inlet have enough
pressure to keep up with the circulator, so air doesn't get in the
lines?
--
- Mike

Ignore the Python in me to send e-mail.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Ruskai wrote:

I'm looking to flush my heating pipes, since I recently put a water
softener in.

SNIP plan

IMHO, you will be much better off leaving
well enough alone.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
et...
Mike Ruskai wrote:

I'm looking to flush my heating pipes, since I recently put a water
softener in.

SNIP plan

IMHO, you will be much better off leaving
well enough alone.

Jim

Agree unless you have some nasty sediment. You'll be adding oxygen to the
system with fresh water.