Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Scroll Compressor and Energy Efficient Window Air Conditioners

I'm looking for a new window air-conditioner, and while price is
important, I'm more interested in something that is *quiet* and has a
high EER rating. I have heard that the new "scroll compressors" are
quieter and more efficient, but after some searching online, I can't
seem to find any window units that are marketed with that feature. In
fact, it's pretty hard to find anyone who's trying to push a high EER
as a feature. l'm in Philadelphia, and I only need about 6000btu unit
for a bedroom. Does anyone have any recommendation for a very quiet
unit that's energy efficient? Are the newer scroll compressors even
available on window units? Thanks,

Andrew

Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 09:16:15 -0700, wrote:

I'm looking for a new window air-conditioner, and while price is
important, I'm more interested in something that is *quiet* and has a
high EER rating. I have heard that the new "scroll compressors" are
quieter and more efficient, but after some searching online, I can't
seem to find any window units that are marketed with that feature. In
fact, it's pretty hard to find anyone who's trying to push a high EER
as a feature. l'm in Philadelphia, and I only need about 6000btu unit
for a bedroom. Does anyone have any recommendation for a very quiet
unit that's energy efficient? Are the newer scroll compressors even
available on window units? Thanks,

Andrew

Same here.

I was screwed royally by JRMusic when I ordered a quiet high EER
online. They sent me a used one that had been damaged and repaired
and was noisy as hell.. It would have cost me a bundle to return it
although I could have eventually sued their sorry ass and won. But
rather than put up with the hassle, I put up with the noisy old
damaged AC.

JRMusic is a bunch of crooks, pure and simple.

Meanwhile, I've found the local Sears store at the mall has an
excellent choice of quiet high EER units. I have one of theirs in my
master bedroom and I love it. It cycles on and off during the night
but is quiet enough that it doesn't wake you. In fact, we sleep
better with it doing its thing.

And best part of my window unit is that it knocked over $100 a month
off my summer electric bills.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dk wrote:

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 09:16:15 -0700, wrote:

I'm looking for a new window air-conditioner, and while price is
important, I'm more interested in something that is *quiet* and has a
high EER rating. I have heard that the new "scroll compressors" are
quieter and more efficient, but after some searching online, I can't
seem to find any window units that are marketed with that feature. In
fact, it's pretty hard to find anyone who's trying to push a high EER
as a feature. l'm in Philadelphia, and I only need about 6000btu unit
for a bedroom. Does anyone have any recommendation for a very quiet
unit that's energy efficient? Are the newer scroll compressors even
available on window units? Thanks, Andrew

Same here.
(Clipped ... )
Meanwhile, I've found the local Sears store at the mall has an
excellent choice of quiet high EER units. I have one of theirs in my
master bedroom and I love it. It cycles on and off during the night
but is quiet enough that it doesn't wake you. In fact, we sleep
better with it doing its thing.

And best part of my window unit is that it knocked over $100 a month
off my summer electric bills. (Right-on dk, they save on utility costs!)

I had a message ready to send & somehow hit the wrong key & lost it!

A lot of Room A/Cs use Rotary screw type compressors which are somewhat
similar to scrolls.

A rotary screw compressor is a type of gas compressor which uses a
rotary type positive displacement mechanism.
The mechanism for gas compression utilizes either a single screw element
or two counter rotating intermeshed helical screw elements housed within
a specially shaped chamber. As the mechanism rotates, the meshing and
rotation of the two helical rotors produces a series of volume-reducing
cavities.
Gas is drawn in through an inlet port in the casing, captured in a
cavity, compressed as the cavity reduces in volume, and then discharged
through another port in the casing. Good Rotary compressors are okay.

I love my 6,000-btu/hr Whirlpool "Quiet Partner Series," that I bought
several years ago. Low price, little over $100 and 9.7 EER.
It appears to be a Rotary Compressor coupled with a three speed fan &
various Tricks I use to cool and dehumidify perfectly 3 rooms & a
hallway 900-sq.ft.
Remote controlled and it does everything perfectly for 900-sq.ft first
floor in 104-F Heat index here in SW WI.
See how that is accomplished:
http://www.udarrell.com/aircondition...harting.h tml

- udarrell

http://www.udarrell.com/
http://www.udarrell.com/my_pages2.htm
http://www.udarrell.com/recognizing_real_enemies.html ***
http://jesuschristsavior.net/Beatitudes.html
Reality Is Not An Easy Thing To Be Confronted With, or to Accept!