Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing old window with sheetrock

Last year, we got new siding on the house. I had 2 windows on the side
that we deemed unnecessary, so we had them put up plywood, and the
siding went on top of it. Now we want to remove the windows from the
inside and replace the window with sheetrock. These are old double
hung windows.

I understand the window has to be removed, but what will the sheetrock
screw onto? Bear in mind, I'm totally new at this.

I know I have to take a prybar to the sill and moldings and remove the
windows itself, but I don't know how to go about the sheetrock
process.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 3, 10:52 am, wrote:
Last year, we got new siding on the house. I had 2 windows on the side
that we deemed unnecessary, so we had them put up plywood, and the
siding went on top of it. Now we want to remove the windows from the
inside and replace the window with sheetrock. These are old double
hung windows.

I understand the window has to be removed, but what will the sheetrock
screw onto? Bear in mind, I'm totally new at this.

I know I have to take a prybar to the sill and moldings and remove the
windows itself, but I don't know how to go about the sheetrock
process.

Thanks.

I'd remove the windows and all associated framing. Then install some
2x4s (or whatever size they are) to the existing studs. Once you have
the window off you'll see what I mean.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ps.com...
Last year, we got new siding on the house. I had 2 windows on the side
that we deemed unnecessary, so we had them put up plywood, and the
siding went on top of it. Now we want to remove the windows from the
inside and replace the window with sheetrock. These are old double
hung windows.

I understand the window has to be removed, but what will the sheetrock
screw onto? Bear in mind, I'm totally new at this.

I know I have to take a prybar to the sill and moldings and remove the
windows itself, but I don't know how to go about the sheetrock
process.

You shoulda removed the windows from the OUTSIDE, and framed the cavities in
then. If they didn't at least pull the outside trim off, how did they keep
the siding from bulging? Problem is, the windows are usually nailed/screwed
to the house from the outside. Sometimes that is ALL that is holding them
on. At this point, about all you can do is start removing the sashes and
other parts from the inside until you can cut the frame out in sections. You
have to get back to the rough opening to frame in a patch, insulate, and
rock over. You don't need to remove the header or anything- just make up a
2x4 frame with studs in the right places, slip it in, in place of the
window, and nail it in. This frame, and the edge of the old rough opening
around it, is what the sheetrock will attach to This also makes it cheaply
reversible, in case next owner wants to put a new window back in. Read any
DIY book or web site for the sheetrock procedures- basically cut a peice to
fit the hole, screw it in place, scrape away any high spots on the seams,
and tape and mud till smooth. The sheetrock will be the easy part.

It doesn't say much about your siding company that they went along with
this. A competent estimator or foreman would have explained the correct way
to go about it.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ps.com...
Last year, we got new siding on the house. I had 2 windows on the side
that we deemed unnecessary, so we had them put up plywood, and the
siding went on top of it. Now we want to remove the windows from the
inside and replace the window with sheetrock. These are old double
hung windows.

I understand the window has to be removed, but what will the sheetrock
screw onto? Bear in mind, I'm totally new at this.

I know I have to take a prybar to the sill and moldings and remove the
windows itself, but I don't know how to go about the sheetrock
process.

Thanks.

There should be studs that frame the window all around it. Once you remove
the sill plates you'll see them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the suggestions, the area is a front porch with 2 side
windows (now sided over) and on large window facing the street. The 2
side windows really had no purpose, except to stare into my neighbor's
window!