Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Anyone with Garage Tiles? (RaceDeck)?

I am considering getting these for my garage: racedeck.com.

I was wondering if anyone has them, or something similar in their
garage.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Jun 3, 1:06 am, cmay wrote:
I am considering getting these for my garage: racedeck.com.

I was wondering if anyone has them, or something similar in their
garage.

Not myself (they're _way_ expensive in my estimation) but there was an
overview/review of several in FineWoodworking's annual "Shops & Tools"
issue a couple of years ago -- I just happened to pick that issue out
of a pile the other day and noticed it...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bas Bas is offline

cmay wrote:
I am considering getting these for my garage: racedeck.com.

I was wondering if anyone has them, or something similar in their
garage.

I have something similar in my basement workshop (concrete slab), from
Sam's Club -
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=360845

These tiles are a lot cheaper.

In retrospect, I think I would have preferred something more rubbery,
e.g.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...538&lpage=none
(these come in different colors as well). The tiles I have now are
basically tough plastic, it sounds a little hollow when you walk on
them. Other than that, they are very durable, and easy to clean.

Did I mention they are a lot cheaper?

Installation is very simple, it goes down in no time. Like ceramic tile,
you'll have to make cuts around walls and corners (probably not a
problem in a garage), but standard woodworking tools (table saw, circle
saw and/ or jig saw) are sufficient.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

e.g.http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...ductId=65412-5...
(these come in different colors as well). The tiles I have now are
basically tough plastic, it sounds a little hollow when you walk on
them. Other than that, they are very durable, and easy to clean.

Did I mention they are a lot cheaper?

Installation is very simple, it goes down in no time. Like ceramic tile,
you'll have to make cuts around walls and corners (probably not a
problem in a garage), but standard woodworking tools (table saw, circle
saw and/ or jig saw) are sufficient.

One of the products reviewed in the FWW "Shops" volume article I
mentioned before was a wood underlayment product w/ a waterproof layer
designed as a subflooring for below grade application. Seems like one
of the Big Box Stores was distributor for it. As I recall, it was the
cheapest by far of the products reviewed and the author liked it for a
couple of reasons, one being it had by far the highest thermal
insulating properties of any of the products tested and was thicker
besides. None of the products were rated as of much benefit for
cushioning iirc.

I guess I'd mention what I use in the shop are cushion mats from the
ag supply dealerships designed for cattle/dairy/horse barn use.
They're cheap (if not available in designer colors ), durable, and
are nearly as comfortable as some of the high-priced cushion mats I've
used/seen in other shops. They're available as either solid or w/
perforations.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I ended up ordering from Racedeck I will try to remember to post on my
experience with the tiles.

They cost $3 / sq ft.

On Jun 4, 10:19 am, Bas wrote:
cmaywrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 3, 2:06 am, cmay wrote:
I am considering getting these for my garage: racedeck.com.

I was wondering if anyone has them, or something similar in their
garage.

I just did my 2 car garage in tiles as an alternative to replacing the
pitted concrete. It turned out great. I checked around for the best
deal, and settled on some from Sam's Club online. The tiles come from
a company that private labels them for Sam's at a much better price.
I think their name is Floor Junkies.... they have a web site. The
only thing to consider is if the sun will be shining directly on the
tiles. For about 3 hours a day, when the garage door is opened, the
sun hits the first 3 rows of tile, and they buckle and heave up in a
wavy pattern. You may want to consider a lighter colored tile in this
area to minimize the effect. Other than that, I think you will like
the results. I did my floor for about $850. Hope this helps.