Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage Workbench

I've been eyeing up Sears work benches. They look to be laminates
fastened to metal frame supports.

I asked in Lowes if they sold them and the guy, said no 'he built his
own'. I guess for what they want for the sears I could buy a good table
saw and the materials to build my own with money to spare.

The dimensions of the sears workbench are just right. It (the one I
like) has a nice 8 ft run and a continuous worktop. But I haven't been
ablet to find a piece of wood with the desired thickness and in one
contiuous piece for the worktop. Lowes has pieces (precut) that come
close but not as wide. Is there another way to get what I want. And what
materials would be ideal for a garage workbench.

There must be plans floating around out there somewhere..

Thanks
Chas

Posted to alt.home.repair

Get a used or damaged solid core, Preferably stave core, door.
I've thrown away and given away hundreds of doors. We made all
new office furniture for one company with the demolition stave
core black walnut doors, used them for ends, modesty panel, and
top

Commercial doors are available in many sizes, but quite normal
would be 3x7x1 3/4. Good doors already have hardwood stiles, or
rim it out with your choice. A pair of short file cabinets will
give you drawers and plenty of stability.

Bowling alley, especially the approaches, make good tops.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I've been eyeing up Sears work benches. They look to be laminates
fastened to metal frame supports.

I asked in Lowes if they sold them and the guy, said no 'he built his
own'. I guess for what they want for the sears I could buy a good table
saw and the materials to build my own with money to spare.

The dimensions of the sears workbench are just right. It (the one I
like) has a nice 8 ft run and a continuous worktop. But I haven't been
ablet to find a piece of wood with the desired thickness and in one
contiuous piece for the worktop. Lowes has pieces (precut) that come
close but not as wide. Is there another way to get what I want. And what
materials would be ideal for a garage workbench.

Only sissies "buy" workbenches. Real handymen or craftsman make their own.
Mine is two sheets of 3/4" plywood laminated together. A little wood glue
and th en screwed together from the bottom. Two thicknesses of MDF will be
solid, but heavier.

For the legs, use 2 x 4's. Make an apron of 1 x 4's or 1 x 6's and set the
top on that assembly. Put a full sized shelf on the bottom and it will be
very rigid.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.home.repair

"PaPaPeng" wrote in message
On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 20:32:01 -0400, wrote:

I've been eyeing up Sears work benches. They look to be laminates
fastened to metal frame supports.

I asked in Lowes if they sold them and the guy, said no 'he built his
own'. I guess for what they want for the sears I could buy a good table
saw and the materials to build my own with money to spare.

The dimensions of the sears workbench are just right. It (the one I
like) has a nice 8 ft run and a continuous worktop. But I haven't been
ablet to find a piece of wood with the desired thickness and in one
contiuous piece for the worktop. Lowes has pieces (precut) that come
close but not as wide. Is there another way to get what I want. And what
materials would be ideal for a garage workbench.

There must be plans floating around out there somewhere..

Thanks
Chas

I bought a 8 ft x 3 ft solid wood door from a building supplies
recycling store. Makes an excellent work table. Has a varnished maple
finish and weighs as solid heavy wood although I think its veneer
maple.

Do you want pretty, or do you want something you will be willing to scuff
up? A 2x4 frame with a couple of cross-pieces for rigidity, and a piece of
3/4 plywood attached to top with countersunk screws, works well. And when
top gets too beat up (like a real workbench should), you can easily flip it
over or replace it. If you want a pretty edge, band the exposed sides with
another piece of 2x4 or whatever. As to plans- just Google 'workbench
plans'- there are bound to be some out there. Lotsa ways to do it, most will
work okay. Really depends on your space and other available storage- my
preference is to keep the space below bench clear, for easy cleanup, other
than any needed cross-pieces to tie the end frames together. If you can
attach to wall, sometimes those aren't even needed. My father built a 22'x2'
bench along one side of a one-bay garage, under a bank of south-facing
windows, held up by triangle-shaped wood brackets screwed off to every other
stud. I can stand on it, and it doesn't wobble at all. I'm actually jealous-
a much nicer setup than I can do here.

Those pretty butcher-block or whatever benches they sell at Sears, Sams, and
similar places look nice- TOO nice. I'd spend all my time trying to avoid
messing them up with whatever I was working on. A perfect-looking workbench,
to me, is like those yuppie faux-gourmet kitchens in the magazines- meant
for others to see. I've seen real restaurant kitchens- they look more like a
real workshop. Not everything is new and shiny, everything doesn't match,
and storage is placed where it works, not where it looks pretty.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

The last one I made had to fit a somewhat narrow space next to the
garage door. So it was custom built to my own sketch using used 2 by 6
lumber from a discarded deck. Overall cost virtually nil. Good and
solid using screws to take engine parts. A four by four leg from an
old gate-post at the end not supported by walls is under the corner
mounted vise making it much safer to beat on something held in the
vise. Shelves above are high enough to allow something 24 inches high
to be worked on on the bench.

Benches are very much what you need them for. No one size/type fits
all!

Completely different application downstairs; electronics bench is two
used 6' 8" (13 foot total) doors, end to end, supported on a frame
made from discarded steel shelving angle. No pounding on that one but
fair amount of space with shelves not too far above for test gear.

Respectfully suggest that if anyone is capable of making things 'on' a
work bench it would be a good exercise to build the bench itself as
starting point.

A third bench was built quickly some 37+ years ago, while building
this house, using scrapped wood from some shipping pallets. It now
needs some repair and upgrading.

A fourth bench was found dumped; about four feet long, quite low but a
convenient height for some tasks, it had been ingeniously made of
pieces of cut off doors. Quite sturdy it mounts our largest/heaviest
vise.

So; conclusion! Decide what the bench will be used for and then build
it to that requirement. A gardener's potting bench need will be a
completely different thing to that of an electronic enthusiast's!

Workbench [email protected] Woodworking 16 June 1st 07 02:23 PM
Ceiling in garage too low for installling garage door opener [email protected] Home Ownership 6 November 26th 06 04:46 PM
WORKBENCH J T Woodworking 1 December 29th 05 09:21 PM
Workbench Plans Added to Workbench Website Tim C Woodworking 9 March 24th 05 04:13 AM
WORKBENCH J T Woodworking 0 March 14th 04 07:13 AM