Posted to alt.home.repair

Default copper pipe outdoors?

I have a water valve that is corroded and I hired a plumber to come out to
repair it. When he finished the job I noticed he attached a copper pipe
section to the original pipe that is galvanized. I thought I have only seen
copper pipes used indoor behind walls, and it seems the copper pipes are
kind of weak...when I asked him he said it's the same but something makes me
uneasy about it.

This is the main 1" pipe that comes into the house. Using the think copper
pipe just does not seem right to me. May be it's just me.

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 1, 6:24?pm, Meat Plow wrote:
On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 18:02:20 -0400, MiamiCuse wrote:
I have a water valve that is corroded and I hired a plumber to come out to
repair it. When he finished the job I noticed he attached a copper pipe
section to the original pipe that is galvanized. I thought I have only seen
copper pipes used indoor behind walls, and it seems the copper pipes are
kind of weak...when I asked him he said it's the same but something makes me
uneasy about it.

This is the main 1" pipe that comes into the house. Using the think copper
pipe just does not seem right to me. May be it's just me.

MC

They bury copper pipe from my city's lateral hook up to my house. Just
had my galvanized replaced that was ready to blow from age.

copper is far better than galvanized, one day you will need ALL that
galavanized pipe replaced. It rusts, corrodes inside causing poor
flow, leaks and causes big hassles.

no trouble adding copper as long as he used a direlectric connector.
without that the connection will fail fast

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

There is no connector, he soldered them together. Is it ok?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Jun 1, 5:37 pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 18:02:20 -0400, MiamiCuse wrote:
...water valve ... corroded and I hired a plumber to repair it. ...he attached a
copper pipe section to the original ...galvanized. ...

no trouble adding copper as long as he used a direlectric connector.
without that the connection will fail fast

There is no connector, he soldered them together. Is it ok?

Can't solder on galvanized so that probably is the connector attached
to the existing galvanized. One would assume a professional plumber
knows about galvanic corrosion and wouldn't make the connection w/o
the proper fitting, at least as long as it wasn't just some schmuck
but an actual, real plumber.

As others noted, the outside use of copper isn't bad for any reason
other than if it were for some reason subject to physical damage.
Otherwise, think copper as in roofs, etc., ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message
As others noted, the outside use of copper isn't bad for any reason
other than if it were for some reason subject to physical damage.
Otherwise, think copper as in roofs, etc., ...

With the possible exception of the theft problem.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

With the possible exception of the theft problem.

Bob

Man is that a problem around here.

yeah people have stolen downspouts and gutters, all sorts of stuff.

One person I know had all their copper removed and replaced with vinyl
to avoid someone getting hurt stealing it. They live in a theft prone
area

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I have a water valve that is corroded and I hired a plumber to come out to
repair it. When he finished the job I noticed he attached a copper pipe
section to the original pipe that is galvanized. I thought I have only
seen copper pipes used indoor behind walls, and it seems the copper pipes
are kind of weak...when I asked him he said it's the same but something
makes me uneasy about it.

This is the main 1" pipe that comes into the house. Using the think
copper pipe just does not seem right to me. May be it's just me.

MC

Copper is far superior to galvanized, But in some soil conditions it,s not
the best. Also I hoped
he used a dielectric nipple on each side of the copper

Posted to alt.home.repair

Anyone with copper gutters and downspouts deserves to have them stolen.
What a waste of money anyway.

--
Steve Barker

wrote in message
oups.com...

With the possible exception of the theft problem.

Bob

Man is that a problem around here.

yeah people have stolen downspouts and gutters, all sorts of stuff.

One person I know had all their copper removed and replaced with vinyl
to avoid someone getting hurt stealing it. They live in a theft prone
area

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Steve Barker wrote:

Anyone with copper gutters and downspouts deserves to have them stolen.
What a waste of money anyway.

For sure. They should have gone straight to gold.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:
Anyone with copper gutters and downspouts deserves to have them stolen.
What a waste of money anyway.

For sure. They should have gone straight to gold.

hey they last literally a lifetime, no need for any maintence at all.

so because they are costly they shouldnt be used?

the house I grew up in as a kid had copper downspouts till recently.
they were probably over 50 years old.

I drove by and noticed they have been replaced.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ps.com...

Steve Barker wrote:
Anyone with copper gutters and downspouts deserves to have them stolen.
What a waste of money anyway.

For sure. They should have gone straight to gold.

hey they last literally a lifetime, no need for any maintence at all.

so because they are costly they shouldnt be used?

the house I grew up in as a kid had copper downspouts till recently.
they were probably over 50 years old.

I drove by and noticed they have been replaced.

Probably because the 50 y/o copper was your truck as you "drove by"?
;-)

copper pipe repair GoHabsGo Home Repair 13 February 23rd 07 06:40 PM
Re-soldering copper pipe Les Home Repair 5 April 26th 06 07:12 PM
10mm Copper Pipe Stuart UK diy 10 April 2nd 05 02:04 PM
Hardness of copper pipe Set Square UK diy 3 December 12th 04 11:31 PM
Painting copper pipe NC UK diy 7 August 18th 03 09:09 AM