Posted to alt.home.repair
Pj Pj is offline

Default spacing 4x4 ceramic tiles

The chimney wall in the kitchen is 17 1/2 inches wide. The tiles are
actually 4 1/4 inches square.

I plan to use bullnose tiles on each end. At one end I would need to
lay in a 3/4 inch piece of bullnose and that's where I see a big
problem.

If I center the first tile in the middle so that the center of the
tile itself is on the center line and use a full bullnose on each end
that would leave me 2 pieces to fill in which would be cut to about 2
3/4 inches. I would sand the cut edges to a small curve.

Does this seem reasonable? Is there way to cut off 3/4 inch pieces so
I don't break the tile without using a wet saw; that is, scoring and
snapping.

Pj

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pj wrote:
The chimney wall in the kitchen is 17 1/2 inches wide. The tiles are
actually 4 1/4 inches square.

I plan to use bullnose tiles on each end. At one end I would need to
lay in a 3/4 inch piece of bullnose and that's where I see a big
problem.

If I center the first tile in the middle so that the center of the
tile itself is on the center line and use a full bullnose on each end
that would leave me 2 pieces to fill in which would be cut to about 2
3/4 inches. I would sand the cut edges to a small curve.

The layout sounds reasonable. Not sure why you feel a need to "sand"
ceramic tile edges - really isn't necessary if you make clean cuts.

Does this seem reasonable? Is there way to cut off 3/4 inch pieces so
I don't break the tile without using a wet saw; that is, scoring and
snapping.

Cut off 3/4" from a 4 1/4" tile leaving 2 3/4"? Or do you mean
cutting the bullnose?

In any event, the big box stores will cut the tile for you. Go at an
odd hour so they're not super busy, and the tile aisle guy will cut
them gratis.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pj" wrote in message
oups.com...
The chimney wall in the kitchen is 17 1/2 inches wide. The tiles are
actually 4 1/4 inches square.

I plan to use bullnose tiles on each end. At one end I would need to
lay in a 3/4 inch piece of bullnose and that's where I see a big
problem.

If I center the first tile in the middle so that the center of the
tile itself is on the center line and use a full bullnose on each end
that would leave me 2 pieces to fill in which would be cut to about 2
3/4 inches. I would sand the cut edges to a small curve.

Does this seem reasonable? Is there way to cut off 3/4 inch pieces so
I don't break the tile without using a wet saw; that is, scoring and
snapping.

Pj

While I would prefer to use a tile saw to make the cut, I have used a tile
cutter (score and break) to cut many pieces of tile in my life. Usually the
smaller 3/4" piece will break and the larger remainder will stay intact.
Always buy a few extra pieces for when things go wrong.

If you do not have an excessive number the BORG may cut them for you as
another person suggested.

Ceramic tiles outside? jon UK diy 3 September 26th 06 11:39 AM
Ceramic Tiles scubabob UK diy 2 July 26th 06 10:20 PM
ceramic tiles SLSKMS Home Repair 0 April 17th 06 04:35 PM
cork tiles onto ceramic tiles? Pete UK diy 1 April 29th 05 12:31 AM
Ceramic tiles Alec Powell UK diy 0 October 11th 03 12:36 PM