Junior Member

Default Damp/mildew on furniture

I have a g/f flat and a small chest of drawers and the pinewood bedframe adjacent to the wall get damp/mildew on them. If I wash off with a 50/50 water/vinegar and then polish with beeswax will this solve/slow down the problem? Thank you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" I have a g/f flat and a small chest of drawers and the pinewood bedframe
adjacent to the wall get damp/mildew on them. If I wash off with a
50/50 water/vinegar and then polish with beeswax will this solve/slow
down the problem? Thank you."

Problem is with the room humidity and/or g/f drainage issues. Perhaps better
ventilation would help. You may also have a plumbing or rain leak inside the
wall, or seepage up through the floor.
Unfortunately all waxes invite more mildew - it actually feeds off the wax.
Bottom line - environment needs attention, before vinegar and wax, which is
a bandaid on a problem needing a cast and a splint!
In the meantime, pull the chest of drawers and bedframe out a bit from the
wall, to allow evaporation of moisture into the room.
Roger

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 16:12:53 +0100, mikehh
wrote:

I have a g/f flat and a small chest of drawers and the pinewood bedframe
adjacent to the wall get damp/mildew on them. If I wash off with a
50/50 water/vinegar and then polish with beeswax will this solve/slow
down the problem? Thank you.

You might want to tackle the source of the moisture first. Is the
house too humid? Is this real close to an unvented kitchen/bath?

tom @ www.YourMoneyMakingIdeas.com