Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What valve to redirect drain from one 2" PVC pipe to an alternate 2

What valve can I use to redirect drain water between two 2" PVC pipes?

Situation is as follows: A 2" PVC pipe from a sink (or tub, whatever)
comes into basement and I want to be able to select whether it goes
into a 4" septic drain pipe, or an alternate 4" gray water drain.
Presumably I have to split it off into a T and put two huge 2" shut-
off valves, one on each side. Is this right? The only valves I know of
are expensive brass shut-off valves with red handles that cost around
$35. Is there a cheaper plasticky valve?

Thanks!

DeanB

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dean" wrote in message
ups.com...
What valve can I use to redirect drain water between two 2" PVC pipes?

Situation is as follows: A 2" PVC pipe from a sink (or tub, whatever)
comes into basement and I want to be able to select whether it goes
into a 4" septic drain pipe, or an alternate 4" gray water drain.
Presumably I have to split it off into a T and put two huge 2" shut-
off valves, one on each side. Is this right? The only valves I know of
are expensive brass shut-off valves with red handles that cost around
$35. Is there a cheaper plasticky valve?

Yes, but I don't know if they are any cheaper. When you get to 2",
everything is expensive. Check out a good plumbing supply store. I'm
surprised you found one as cheap as $35. Depending on how the layout is,
you may be able to have it go to a default pipe unless the valve is closed
and it is then diverted to the other pipe.

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

On May 30, 10:38 pm, dean wrote:
What valve can I use to redirect drain water between two 2" PVC pipes?

Situation is as follows: A 2" PVC pipe from a sink (or tub, whatever)
comes into basement and I want to be able to select whether it goes
into a 4" septic drain pipe, or an alternate 4" gray water drain.
Presumably I have to split it off into a T and put two huge 2" shut-
off valves, one on each side. Is this right? The only valves I know of
are expensive brass shut-off valves with red handles that cost around
$35. Is there a cheaper plasticky valve?

Thanks!

DeanB

Google "Jandy valve". May not be cheaper, but it's plasticky. Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 31, 8:41 am, tom wrote:
On May 30, 10:38 pm, dean wrote:

What valve can I use to redirect drain water between two 2" PVC pipes?

Situation is as follows: A 2" PVC pipe from a sink (or tub, whatever)
comes into basement and I want to be able to select whether it goes
into a 4" septic drain pipe, or an alternate 4" gray water drain.
Presumably I have to split it off into a T and put two huge 2" shut-
off valves, one on each side. Is this right? The only valves I know of
are expensive brass shut-off valves with red handles that cost around
$35. Is there a cheaper plasticky valve?

Thanks!

DeanB

Google "Jandy valve". May not be cheaper, but it's plasticky. Tom

Perfect. Can I join PVC and CPVC using regular PVC sealing compound?

Posted to alt.home.repair

What valve can I use to redirect drain water between two 2" PVC pipes?
Situation is as follows: A 2" PVC pipe from a sink (or tub, whatever)
comes into basement and I want to be able to select whether it goes
into a 4" septic drain pipe, or an alternate 4" gray water drain.
Presumably I have to split it off into a T and put two huge 2" shut-
off valves, one on each side. Is this right? The only valves I know of
are expensive brass shut-off valves with red handles that cost around
$35. Is there a cheaper plasticky valve?

If your local home center doesn't carry large PVC valves, you could order
them for about $17 each from:

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/pvcvalve.html

They even have a PVC 3-way diverter valve, though it's $50 and cheaper to
go with two seperate valves.

I ordered some brass fittings from plumbing supply several years ago, and
they provided relatively good service.

Take care,

Anthony

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to HerHusband :
What valve can I use to redirect drain water between two 2" PVC pipes?
Situation is as follows: A 2" PVC pipe from a sink (or tub, whatever)
comes into basement and I want to be able to select whether it goes
into a 4" septic drain pipe, or an alternate 4" gray water drain.
Presumably I have to split it off into a T and put two huge 2" shut-
off valves, one on each side. Is this right? The only valves I know of
are expensive brass shut-off valves with red handles that cost around
$35. Is there a cheaper plasticky valve?

If your local home center doesn't carry large PVC valves, you could order
them for about $17 each from:

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/pvcvalve.html

They even have a PVC 3-way diverter valve, though it's $50 and cheaper to
go with two seperate valves.

I had a similar application - I wanted to switch the 2" drain outlet of my
pool's filter between a drain and a firehose. I didn't want to screw around
with multiple valves, so I went looking for a suitable single valve.

Swimming pool supply shops that do repairs and installations either have
these or can order them. I bought one for about $40CDN ( $30US at the
time) from a small local pool supply place.

It's somewhat like a huge ball valve. It looks like a 2" T fitting,
with a rotating cylinder thru the center with a T-shaped hole through
the cylinder. You can stop, divert one way, or divert both ways
depending on the position of the handle.

Handle pops off, so you can put it somewhere else if you don't want people
fiddling with it.
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

On May 31, 6:01 am, dean wrote:

Google "Jandy valve". May not be cheaper, but it's plasticky. Tom

Perfect. Can I join PVC and CPVC using regular PVC sealing compound?

I don't know. I'd check the fine print on the glue. Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 30 May 2007 22:38:25 -0700, dean wrote:

What valve can I use to redirect drain water between two 2" PVC pipes?

Situation is as follows: A 2" PVC pipe from a sink (or tub, whatever)
comes into basement and I want to be able to select whether it goes
into a 4" septic drain pipe, or an alternate 4" gray water drain.
Presumably I have to split it off into a T and put two huge 2" shut-
off valves, one on each side. Is this right? The only valves I know of
are expensive brass shut-off valves with red handles that cost around
$35. Is there a cheaper plasticky valve?

Thanks!

Isn't your greywater technically not grey anymore
if it shares any of the drain path with the blackwater?
Depending on who's approval you need, that may or may not
be an issue. And you probably don't want anything that will
leak even a bit, which probably rules out putting
a tub drain/stop assembly on it's face and driving it
backwards.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 31 May 2007 09:36:55 -0500, HerHusband
wrote:

If your local home center doesn't carry large PVC valves, you could order
them for about $17 each from:

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/pvcvalve.html

They even have a PVC 3-way diverter valve, though it's $50 and cheaper to
go with two seperate valves.

I ordered some brass fittings from plumbing supply several years ago, and
they provided relatively good service.

From that page:

"I can't find a listing for PVC gate valves. Do you offer them as
well?"

Because our goal is for 99% customer satisfaction we do not wish to
sell PVC gate valves. They are not as reliable as PVC ball valves and
they tend to break easily due to their shaft being plastic as well. If
you "insist" on (or must have) a gate valve then we highly recommend
purchasing a top quality brass gate valve (which we do offer and do
recommend).

I admire them. They admit they only expect 99%.

Take care,

Anthony