Posted to alt.home.repair

Default High efficiency boiler, indirect water heater, Tekmar control

I had a home energy audit done by RISE engineering. They recommend
installing a Burnham gas steam boiler with an AFUE rating of 82%-86%.

Posted to alt.home.repair

....sent early by accident

I had a home energy audit done by RISE engineering. They recommend
installing a Burnham gas steam boiler with an AFUE rating of 82%-86%. The
price is $4900. They didn't mention a specific model number. Does anyone
have any experience with this brand? I have the option of adding a 41 gallon
indirect hot water heater (lifetime warranty, super insulated stainless
tank, unlimited supply...) for an additional $1800. An additional option is
a Tekmar outdoor heating system control for $800. I checked out the website
but I'm not sure exactly how this device is supposed to save me money. I
don't think I'm, going to go with the the two options just the new boiler,
but I'm interested in any advice or opinions.
Thanks
Dante

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is that an installed price? What is being replaced? How old is the
existing
system and what is it's AFUE?

Yes, that is the installed price. The boiler being replaced is the original
1933 boiler from when the house was built. It used to burn coal and I think
it could power a medium size cruise ship. I have no idea what the AFUE is,
probably around 2%-3%
The water heater on the other hand is a regular GE stand alone unit. It is
less than a year old.

Dante