DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Polyurethane: oil over water versus water over oil (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/202280-polyurethane-oil-over-water-versus-water-over-oil.html)

Andrew Duane May 30th 07 06:58 PM

Polyurethane: oil over water versus water over oil

I've polyurethaned some maple trim with a water based finish (no
color, just poly). It didn't quite get the slightly rich yellow sheen
I'd hoped for to match some other maple nearby, which oil based finish
would have given me. I vaguely remember that you can either put oil
based over water based, or vice versa..... Of course now I can't
remember which.

Has anyone tried this? I'd like to "richen up" the trim, and sanding
it down to try it all again is out of the question. I do have some
scraps I could try it on, but I figured I'd ask first.

dadiOH May 30th 07 10:10 PM

Andrew Duane wrote:
I've polyurethaned some maple trim with a water based finish (no
color, just poly). It didn't quite get the slightly rich yellow
sheen I'd hoped for to match some other maple nearby, which oil
based finish would have given me. I vaguely remember that you can
either put oil based over water based, or vice versa..... Of course
now I can't remember which.

Put either over either when thorouglly dry and after sanding.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Toller May 31st 07 12:34 AM

Polyurethane: oil over water versus water over oil

"Andrew Duane" wrote in message
ps.com...
I've polyurethaned some maple trim with a water based finish (no
color, just poly). It didn't quite get the slightly rich yellow sheen
I'd hoped for to match some other maple nearby, which oil based finish
would have given me. I vaguely remember that you can either put oil
based over water based, or vice versa..... Of course now I can't
remember which.

Has anyone tried this? I'd like to "richen up" the trim, and sanding
it down to try it all again is out of the question. I do have some
scraps I could try it on, but I figured I'd ask first.

Don't know if it will stick or not, but it won't give you the effect you are
looking for. The warming comes from the interaction of the oil with the
wood, which won't happen with the poly in the way.