DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   caulk preference (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/202159-caulk-preference.html)

Frank May 29th 07 11:57 AM

caulk preference

For caulking pine exterior of 2x8s after staining is silicone or Lexel
preferred?

marson May 29th 07 12:22 PM

caulk preference

On May 29, 5:57 am, Frank wrote:
For caulking pine exterior of 2x8s after staining is silicone or Lexel
preferred?

What are you caulking? Is this exterior trim or what? At any rate, I
definitely wouldn't use Silicone. I'd use a one part urethane caulk
designed for windows and siding. Here is what we are currently
using: http://www.osiproseries.com/Products...r-roof-sealant

Frank May 29th 07 10:07 PM

caulk preference

What are you caulking? Is this exterior trim or what?

exterior trim and cracks in siding

Dave May 30th 07 05:14 AM

caulk preference

"Frank" wrote in message
ups.com...
For caulking pine exterior of 2x8s after staining is silicone or Lexel
preferred?

Caulk after staining?
Dave

DanG May 30th 07 11:56 AM

caulk preference

I agree with Marson. I have dealt with many silicone failures. I
believe in urethanes and Dow Corning 795 if you insist on
silicone.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

ups.com...

Dennis June 1st 07 02:05 PM

caulk preference

Does that include the exterior grade rated silicone caulks in that, or just
interior grades used on the exterior?

DanG June 2nd 07 12:30 AM

caulk preference

Dennis,

I don't know what kind of silicone someone used before I got
involved. When I can grab one end of a silicone bead and pull it
out of the joint without breaking it, it tells me it was not
adhered to either surface. Try that with a bead of NP1 or
equivalent single part urethane.

Silicone is very sensitive to different types on different
substrates and will usually require priming. The NP of NP1 stands
for No Prime.

--
______________________________

Raider Bill June 2nd 07 02:26 PM

caulk preference

"DanG" wrote in message
I agree with Marson. I have dealt with many silicone failures.
I believe in urethanes and Dow Corning 795 if you insist on
silicone.- Hide quoted text -

Look for a product called Vulcum. It's the best I have ever used!

bill allemann June 2nd 07 11:09 PM

caulk preference

It's Vulkem
Single part urethane.

"Raider Bill" wrote in message
ups.com...

Raider Bill June 3rd 07 06:04 PM

caulk preference

On Jun 2, 6:09 pm, "bill allemann"
wrote:
It's Vulkem
Single part urethane.

"Raider Bill" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Jun 1, 7:30 pm, "DanG" wrote:

Look for a product called Vulcum. It's the best I have ever used!- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the spelling correction. I was too lazy to walk out to the
shop and check the tubes.

I like it! Have fixed 2 cracked boats with it that are still water
tight 15 years later. One alumium and one wood.