DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Asphalt roof - how much cleaning do I need to do? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/202117-asphalt-roof-how-much-cleaning-do-i-need-do.html)

miamicuse May 29th 07 03:49 AM

Asphalt roof - how much cleaning do I need to do?

I am getting ready to apply a new elastomeric roof coating on top of the
existing asphalt membrane.

Instruction says to thoroughly clean and let dry before application. The
problem is the asphalt membrane has a lot of "loose" particles the size of
sand. I think it's part of the asphalt that is coming loose? I am unable
to clean them off totally. I can brush and brush and brush and more come
out and it seems to never end.

Any suggestions? May be I should just apply it as-is?

Thanks,

MC

Richard J Kinch May 29th 07 05:34 AM

Asphalt roof - how much cleaning do I need to do?

MiamiCuse writes:

Any suggestions?

New coating should be at least 3 times as thick as the largest loose
particle.

aemeijers May 29th 07 08:38 AM

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I am getting ready to apply a new elastomeric roof coating on top of the
existing asphalt membrane.

Instruction says to thoroughly clean and let dry before application. The
problem is the asphalt membrane has a lot of "loose" particles the size of
sand. I think it's part of the asphalt that is coming loose? I am unable
to clean them off totally. I can brush and brush and brush and more come
out and it seems to never end.

Any suggestions? May be I should just apply it as-is?

Just take a leaf blower to it. Be careful not to lift up any loose edges
with the airstream.

aem sends....

miamicuse May 30th 07 08:13 AM

"aemeijers" wrote in message

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I am getting ready to apply a new elastomeric roof coating on top of the
existing asphalt membrane.

Instruction says to thoroughly clean and let dry before application. The
problem is the asphalt membrane has a lot of "loose" particles the size
of sand. I think it's part of the asphalt that is coming loose? I am
unable to clean them off totally. I can brush and brush and brush and
more come out and it seems to never end.

Any suggestions? May be I should just apply it as-is?

Just take a leaf blower to it. Be careful not to lift up any loose edges
with the airstream.

aem sends....

Thanks aem, I was using a push broom, and the more I pushed the more loose
particles I got. So I didn't need to do all that? Oh well.

MC