DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   hayward 1 HP pool pump problem (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/202110-hayward-1-hp-pool-pump-problem.html)

Mel May 29th 07 02:00 AM

hayward 1 HP pool pump problem

My impreller was initially clogged with junk - got that freed but now
my pump/strainer housing will stay filled up with water drains down to
about halfway and then impeller stops and pump just keeps on going.
Any suggestions?

TH May 29th 07 04:06 AM

On May 28, 6:00 pm, Mel wrote:
My impreller was initially clogged with junk - got that freed but now
my pump/strainer housing will stay filled up with water drains down to
about halfway and then impeller stops and pump just keeps on going.
Any suggestions?

Sounds like you need a new impeller. If the pump is going and the
impeller isn't, then that means it's not connected to the shaft, and
most likely the plastic impeller is broken. It's probably a good idea
to also replace the seal while it's apart.

[email protected] May 29th 07 05:51 PM

On May 28, 10:06 pm, TH wrote:
On May 28, 6:00 pm, Mel wrote:

My impreller was initially clogged with junk - got that freed but now
my pump/strainer housing will stay filled up with water drains down to
about halfway and then impeller stops and pump just keeps on going.
Any suggestions?

Sounds like you need a new impeller. If the pump is going and the
impeller isn't, then that means it's not connected to the shaft, and
most likely the plastic impeller is broken. It's probably a good idea
to also replace the seal while it's apart.

I think what he meant to say here is the impeller stops, but the motor
keeps going. I'm a little curious as to how he knows the impeller
isn't turning. The ones I've seen, the impeller is inside the pump
housing and you can't visually tell if it's turning. If you're just
assuming the impeller isn't moving, maybe it is and it's possible
there is more blockage from debris in the piping somewhere?
Otherwise, the impeller could be stripped, in which case agree with TH
above. You can get a new impeller and seals for a reasonable price.