Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help!

Hi, I need some help. I have to change dishwasher but I cannot close
the water because the valve under the sink is broken. I also cannot
close the water for the house because a regulation of my condominium.
Does anybody think I will be able to change the walve without closing
the water? I know I will get wet, but I want to know if it will be
possible and how hard it is, or if you have other suggestion....
Thanks a lot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 May 2007 15:57:21 -0500, CJT wrote:

wrote:
Hi, I need some help. I have to change dishwasher but I cannot close
the water because the valve under the sink is broken. I also cannot
close the water for the house because a regulation of my condominium.
Does anybody think I will be able to change the walve without closing
the water? I know I will get wet, but I want to know if it will be
possible and how hard it is, or if you have other suggestion....
Thanks a lot.

I wouldn't try if I were you. Re-read the regulation; I suspect you
are misconstruing it.

I recently worked at a condo community. I had met one of the board
members for the association and a water turn off *might* be necessary,
so I asked where it might be. He really didn't know himself.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
says...
Hi, I need some help. I have to change dishwasher but I cannot close
the water because the valve under the sink is broken. I also cannot
close the water for the house because a regulation of my condominium.
Does anybody think I will be able to change the walve without closing
the water? I know I will get wet, but I want to know if it will be
possible and how hard it is, or if you have other suggestion....

I'm all in favor of do-it-yourself work, but working with water in
multi-family housing has huge liability exposure -- I would not want to
try replacing the valve without turning off the water. It can be done,
but a *lot* of water sprays around even if things go well. If something
goes wrong and the new valve can't be installed after the old valve is
removed, you could be on the hook for extensive water damage to the
building and contents.

Re-read the condo regulations and ask your building rep what needs to be
done to shut off the building. There has to be a process for doing it,
buildings do occasionally need their water shut off to replace an
interior valve or pipe.

Now, it could be they won't allow *you* to turn off the building valve,
they might want it to be done by a licensed, insured plumber, because it
involves water service and possible water damage for multiple unit
owners. If that's the case, I would look into the layout of the
plumbing and see if you could have a licensed plumber install a shutoff
valve for your entire unit, so that any subsequent work does not require
a full-building shutoff.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On May 28, 3:40 pm, wrote:
Hi, I need some help. I have to change dishwasher but I cannot close
the water because the valve under the sink is broken. I also cannot
close the water for the house because a regulation of my condominium.
Does anybody think I will be able to change the walve without closing
the water? I know I will get wet, but I want to know if it will be
possible and how hard it is, or if you have other suggestion....

Only way I could see feasible would be to crimp the supply line and
that doesn't really solve the problem because then you would need to
replace it...

I wouldn't recommend even thinking of trying it, but the only way I
see to even tackle it would be to have a valve ready and a helper (and
a whole lot of pans/pails to collect the mess) and try to cap the line
quickly w/ a new valve. But, then you have to repeat that procedure,
too...it just ain't practical.

Condo or not, you have to be able to shut the water off to your own
unit to effect a repair. Having never had the misfortune to have to
deal w/ one, I don't have a clue as to what an agreement might
actually say, but they can't prevent you from cutting off the water to
stop further damage if, for example, you had a pipe break somewhere.

And, of course, while you have it off to do the dishwasher, replace
the cutoff valve, too...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 5:46?pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:
Hi, I need some help. I have to change dishwasher but I cannot close
the water because the valve under the sink is broken. I also cannot
close the water for the house because a regulation of my condominium.
Does anybody think I will be able to change the walve without closing
the water? I know I will get wet, but I want to know if it will be
possible and how hard it is, or if you have other suggestion....
Thanks a lot.

Are the hoses to the washer flexible?

You MIGHT succeed by:
a: Clamping the hose.
b: Cutting the hose
c: Fashioning a new connector for the cut-off end.

No sane person would try this, but you can offer it as an alternative plan
to the condo management. They will instantly see the potential disaster and
accede to your request.

If you DO manage to get the water turned off, for god's sake, replace the
defective valve.

does your unit have its own hot water tank? if it does is there a
valve on that tank. dishwashers use only hot water, try turning off
the hot water tank/

have realitives who
lived in condos, they said each unit had its own valve so in a
emergency it was easy to turn off the unit.

you shouldnt need to shut off all the water for the entire building

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 3:40 pm, wrote:
Hi, I need some help. I have to change dishwasher but I cannot close
the water because the valve under the sink is broken. I also cannot
close the water for the house because a regulation of my condominium.
Does anybody think I will be able to change the walve without closing
the water? I know I will get wet, but I want to know if it will be
possible and how hard it is, or if you have other suggestion....

Call a plumber. No, really, if you have to ask this question about changing
a vale under pressure, you are not qualified to do the job. Do yourself a
favor and avoid a lot of damage.

As for the condo rules, screw them. You MUST be able to turn off the water
in an emergency. The plumber will turn the water off, replace the broken
valve, then connect the DW for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Max Max is offline

On Mon, 28 May 2007 22:20:31 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
graced this newsgroup with:

On May 28, 3:40 pm, wrote:
Hi, I need some help. I have to change dishwasher but I cannot close
the water because the valve under the sink is broken. I also cannot
close the water for the house because a regulation of my condominium.
Does anybody think I will be able to change the walve without closing
the water? I know I will get wet, but I want to know if it will be
possible and how hard it is, or if you have other suggestion....

Call a plumber. No, really, if you have to ask this question about changing
a vale under pressure, you are not qualified to do the job. Do yourself a
favor and avoid a lot of damage.

As for the condo rules, screw them. You MUST be able to turn off the water
in an emergency. The plumber will turn the water off, replace the broken
valve, then connect the DW for you.

AND most likely, it's at or near the water heater.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hi, I need some help. I have to change dishwasher but I cannot close
the water because the valve under the sink is broken. I also cannot
close the water for the house because a regulation of my condominium.
Does anybody think I will be able to change the walve without closing
the water? I know I will get wet, but I want to know if it will be
possible and how hard it is, or if you have other suggestion....
Thanks a lot.

I watched an episode of "Ask This Old House" a few months ago and the
same subject came up.

The plumber went to a condomimum high rise set up to help the guy with
something to do with the bathtub. He said that hopefully if all goes
well, he would not need to turn off the entire water. At that point,
the owner commented "that's good because the association rule is you
have to give 48 hours notice to do that."

My take was that in a NON emergency situation, they require adequate
notice as a courtesy to the other tenants (which makes sense--you
don't want your water shut off as your big party is starting etc.).

So I think you can shut it off, it's just a matter of finding out what
the actual approved procedure is.
--
John

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Ross wrote:

wrote:
Hi, I need some help. I have to change dishwasher but I cannot close
the water because the valve under the sink is broken. I also cannot
close the water for the house because a regulation of my condominium.
Does anybody think I will be able to change the walve without closing
the water? I know I will get wet, but I want to know if it will be
possible and how hard it is, or if you have other suggestion....
Thanks a lot.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the obvious: They make a tool for
just this purpose (or, I think, more for changing the main shut off
valve). It consists of a bandage-type sleeve which wraps around the
pipe and through which they flow some sort of very cold gas or liquid.
The water in the pipe freezes forming a plug. Change the valve and
then warm up the pipe. My local plumbing supply store told me someone
(he doesn't know who--really helpful) rents them. Oh, yeah, and if
you're going to question "Doesn't the freezing crack the pipe?" the
plumbing supply guy says "No" but can't explain why not.