Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wiring Cost

I live in Nashville, Tennessee and am wanting to build a room addition onto
my home. But the wattage that is currently in the home will not suffice. I
will need more wattage. How much does it cost to get additional wattage in my
home.

Posted to alt.home.repair

0727lemp wrote:
I live in Nashville, Tennessee and am wanting to build a room addition onto
my home. But the wattage that is currently in the home will not suffice. I
will need more wattage. How much does it cost to get additional wattage in my
home.

Assuming this is not a troll, consider:

Very few folks on this group liev in Nashville.

No one on this group lives in your house.

No one on this group knows how much "wattage" your house
currently ( pun intended ) has.

No one on this goup knows how big your proposed addition
is going to be.

No one on this group can answer your questions as you asked.

Call 5 different electricians in your area, get 5 bids.
In getting bids, give them a detailed written list of
what ou have and what you want, so that they are
all bidding on the same job.

Let them all know that there ill be multiple bidders,
and that they are in competition.

It seems pretty clear from your initial post that for you,
this is not a DIY project.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 May 2007 09:06:24 -0700, jJim McLaughlin
wrote:

Call 5 different electricians in your area, get 5 bids.
In getting bids, give them a detailed written list of
what ou have and what you want, so that they are
all bidding on the same job.

Put in writing for the electrician how much wattage you need might not
get you the best price.

If you have space in your panel for another single pole breaker and
you are not going to run a window AC unit, you should have enough
wattage for the extra room. You probably have enough room even if you
are going to add an AC unit.

BTW the correct value you are considering is the amperage not wattage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
t...

"0727lemp" u34583@uwe wrote in message news:72dbae3c518f0@uwe...
I live in Nashville, Tennessee and am wanting to build a room addition
onto
my home. But the wattage that is currently in the home will not suffice.
will need more wattage. How much does it cost to get additional wattage
in my
home.

$2655

Wow, in my area it's $3800! Must be something about the big city
wages......

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 12:42�pm, "Jackson" wrote:
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

t...

"0727lemp" u34583@uwe wrote in messagenews:72dbae3c518f0@uwe...
I live in Nashville, Tennessee and am wanting to build a room addition
onto
my home. But the wattage that is currently in the home will not suffice.
will need more wattage. How much does it cost to get additional wattage
in my
home.

$2655

Wow, in my area it's $3800! *Must be something about the big city
wages......

Lets get real ONLY upgrade to 200 amp service which will likely
require a new main breaker cabinet, new service drop and new meter can
along with new main grounding

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Haller, let me clear something up for you. a "service drop" is usually
referring to the overhead line from the pole to the house, owned by the
utility company, which they upgrade if and when they deem necessary. The
service entrance conductors are the ones on the house owned by the customer

wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 28, 12:42?pm, "Jackson" wrote:
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

t...

"0727lemp" u34583@uwe wrote in messagenews:72dbae3c518f0@uwe...
I live in Nashville, Tennessee and am wanting to build a room addition
onto
my home. But the wattage that is currently in the home will not
suffice.
will need more wattage. How much does it cost to get additional wattage
in my
home.

$2655

Wow, in my area it's $3800! Must be something about the big city
wages......

Lets get real ONLY upgrade to 200 amp service which will likely
require a new main breaker cabinet, new service drop and new meter can
along with new main grounding

Posted to alt.home.repair

Okay all kidding aside, I imagine your house probably has 100 amp
service right now.

If you need to bring that up to a 200 amp service plan on spending at
least $2000.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 May 2007 15:55:59 GMT, "0727lemp" u34583@uwe wrote:

I live in Nashville, Tennessee and am wanting to build a room addition onto
my home. But the wattage that is currently in the home will not suffice. I
will need more wattage. How much does it cost to get additional wattage in my
home.

65 cents per watt. with a minimum of $1000, and a $10,000 surcharge
for heavy lifting if I have to put more than 10,000 watts on my truck.
Local fees may apply. Wattboxes and wat****chers will be the
responsibility of the consumer if local codes require their use.

DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this post does not have more
than a superficial resemblance to reality. Not approved for human
consumption. Some bits have 100% recycled electron content.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 4:22?pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:
Okay all kidding aside, I imagine your house probably has 100 amp
service right now.

If you need to bring that up to a 200 amp service plan on spending at
least $2000.

Or about $350 if you do the work yourself.

the new supply line, meter can, and breaker box may exceed that let
alone working with the live power lines

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

In some towns in my area, the permit and inspection fees alone can run as
much as $200 for a service upgrade

wrote in message
ps.com...
On May 28, 4:22?pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:
Okay all kidding aside, I imagine your house probably has 100 amp
service right now.

If you need to bring that up to a 200 amp service plan on spending at
least $2000.

Or about $350 if you do the work yourself.

the new supply line, meter can, and breaker box may exceed that let
alone working with the live power lines

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 May 2007 12:28:41 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"0727lemp" u34583@uwe wrote in message news:72dbae3c518f0@uwe...
I live in Nashville, Tennessee and am wanting to build a room addition onto
my home. But the wattage that is currently in the home will not suffice. I
will need more wattage. How much does it cost to get additional wattage in
my
home.

$2655

I'll do it for $2654. plus travel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 May 2007 15:55:59 GMT, "0727lemp" u34583@uwe wrote:

I live in Nashville, Tennessee and am wanting to build a room addition onto
my home. But the wattage that is currently in the home will not suffice. I
will need more wattage. How much does it cost to get additional wattage in my
home.

What you may need is a larger main or (slightly less favorable) a
subpanel. A panel is about $100, wiring $100, labor $500. Get 3-5
estimates with references and written proof of insurance/bonded, years
of experience. You'll find that pricing can greatly vary and many
workers can't produce written proof of insurance. Don't risk an
electrical fire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
In some towns in my area, the permit and inspection fees alone can run as
much as $200 for a service upgrade

I had my service upgraded to 100A, had an outside light put in (I supplied
the fixture) , had two receptacles added, had a light switch made into a 3
way and labor and material was only $200. This was all done by a licensed
electrician.