DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Loose toilet handle question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/202058-loose-toilet-handle-question.html)

Tony May 28th 07 12:59 PM

Loose toilet handle question

Some months ago, I noticed our toilet handle on our 30 year old bathroom
toilet was loose. It could have been the original handle on this toilet,
I don't know, but upon opening the top tank lid, I saw the handle nut
had become loose. I tightened it and within a week upon inspecting, I
saw it had become loose again. So, I just took the handle, chain, etc.
out and replaced with a new one. It seemed to be working fine, but this
morning, upon inspecting it, I saw this handle's nut loose again. Now, I
should mention that I hand tightened the nut upon installation and gave
it an extra little bit of 'force" if you will with my hand, nothing
major but I didn't use a wrench with the nut for fear I might damage the
porcelain by tightening too much. My question is, since it's worked
itself loose again after a few months, is it recommended that I tighten
it with a wrench this time (and if so, how much?), or has the porcelain
behind the nut worn away to where it's not making a good tight hold?
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

[email protected] May 28th 07 01:09 PM

On May 28, 7:59?am, Tony wrote:
[...]

a quarter turn with a wrench should do it.

metal or plastic assembly?

the plastic ones are junk and tend to do this or fatigue off, i
replaced mine with a metal one end of trouble

Tony May 28th 07 01:11 PM

Loose toilet handle question

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, it is a plastic one, and funny you should mention, but the one
toilet in the basement has the metal nut and never a bit of trouble with
it, you're right.
I'll give it a little bit of the wrench, then.

David Martel May 28th 07 01:37 PM

Loose toilet handle question

Tony,

You are correct about damaging the porcelain so don't tighten it more
than you have been. Buy some Loc-Tite thread cement.

Dave M.

buffalobill May 28th 07 02:01 PM

On May 28, 7:59 am, Tony wrote:
[...]

replacement may have a bit too much slop where the stem doesn't fill
the handle hole, allowing nut to more easily wiggle its way loose.
there are a variety of handle sizes, shapes, and arm lengths.
perhaps just add a dab of silicone seal to the dry threads and screw
the nut back on.

beecrofter May 28th 07 02:25 PM

On May 28, 7:59 am, Tony wrote:
[...]

Just give the threads that show beyond the nut a good aqueeze with a
pair of pliers to deform them and the nut will no longer back off
easily.