Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I need a photocell for an antique yard light

I obtained an antique Farm Light.

The kind you USED to see on poles outside the barn.
Big green top metal shade, cream color underside with a single bulb hanging
down.

The mounting bracket attaches to the pole/wall, and a horizontal pipe feeds
the wires to the socket.

I'd love to install this, but need an inline photocell to turn the light
on/off.

Searched Google for a inline photocell.
If there was one with horizontal pipe threads it would be perfect.

Anybody have any ideas?

Even though we live in an urban area, we have a country look home/garage.

please and thank you

"The less time planning, the more time programming.

Bill H. in Chicagoland
webcams at http://76.16.160.118:8080
weather at http://hhweather.webhop.org

Posted to alt.home.repair

If your handy you could just build one. Whats the voltage of the light?
Could you convert a regular childrens nightlight, possible use a low voltage
relay if needed?

Posted to alt.home.repair

FireBrick wrote:
I obtained an antique Farm Light.

The kind you USED to see on poles outside the barn.
Big green top metal shade, cream color underside with a single bulb hanging
down.

The mounting bracket attaches to the pole/wall, and a horizontal pipe feeds
the wires to the socket.

I'd love to install this, but need an inline photocell to turn the light
on/off.

Searched Google for a inline photocell.
If there was one with horizontal pipe threads it would be perfect.

Anybody have any ideas?

Even though we live in an urban area, we have a country look home/garage.

please and thank you

First off, I don't know what you mean by "horizontal pipe threads". Pipe
threads aren't used in electrical work. Threaded conduit is relatively
common and 1/2" is a common size. And how is a thread horizontal?

A quick Google search for "threaded conduit photo light control" (no
quotes of course) turns a large number of hits. Does anything on this
page look like what you are thinking of?

http://www.1000bulbs.com/products.ph...ntrol-Switches

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Posted to alt.home.repair

FireBrick wrote:

I obtained an antique Farm Light.

The kind you USED to see on poles outside the barn.
Big green top metal shade, cream color underside with a single bulb hanging
down.

The mounting bracket attaches to the pole/wall, and a horizontal pipe feeds
the wires to the socket.

I'd love to install this, but need an inline photocell to turn the light
on/off.

Searched Google for a inline photocell.
If there was one with horizontal pipe threads it would be perfect.

Anybody have any ideas?

Even though we live in an urban area, we have a country look home/garage.

please and thank you

"The less time planning, the more time programming.

Bill H. in Chicagoland
webcams at http://76.16.160.118:8080
weather at http://hhweather.webhop.org

Standalone photocells are a common item and can be found at 'Depot,
Lowe's and probably 1,000 other places as well. Usually a threaded mount
to attach to a standard 1/2" port on an outdoor box. They don't need to
be mounted inline with the fixture, just wired inline.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Found the item.
More searching on google found exactly the unit I needed.

I didn't make myself clear though.
I knew what I meant, just didn't describe it correctly

the lamp, hangs from a cast head which is threaded to accept a 1/2" rigid
pipe.
That pipe, would be horizontal to the mounting casting on the wall.

I found a photocell, which screws into a cast electrical TEE (not sure of
the exact term for that rectangular box with female threads on each end and
a female thread perpendicular to the other two ends.

Simple 3 wire photo cell.

/-\-------==---------------()
/ ^ \
lamp pipe tee with photo cell on top pipe wallmount
I elongated the piping just to get the description to fit.

thanks for the help/suggestions

"FireBrick" wrote in message
. ..
I obtained an antique Farm Light.

The kind you USED to see on poles outside the barn.
Big green top metal shade, cream color underside with a single bulb
hanging down.

The mounting bracket attaches to the pole/wall, and a horizontal pipe
feeds the wires to the socket.

I'd love to install this, but need an inline photocell to turn the light
on/off.

Searched Google for a inline photocell.
If there was one with horizontal pipe threads it would be perfect.

Anybody have any ideas?

Even though we live in an urban area, we have a country look home/garage.

please and thank you

"The less time planning, the more time programming.

Bill H. in Chicagoland
webcams at http://76.16.160.118:8080
weather at http://hhweather.webhop.org

Posted to alt.home.repair

FireBrick wrote:
I obtained an antique Farm Light.

The kind you USED to see on poles outside the barn.
Big green top metal shade, cream color underside with a single bulb
hanging down.

The mounting bracket attaches to the pole/wall, and a horizontal pipe
feeds the wires to the socket.

I'd love to install this, but need an inline photocell to turn the
light on/off.

Searched Google for a inline photocell.
If there was one with horizontal pipe threads it would be perfect.

Anybody have any ideas?

Even though we live in an urban area, we have a country look
home/garage.
please and thank you

The photocell doesn't have to be anywhere near the light - it just has to
intercept the power. Our photocell is mounted on a brick wall and controls
three lights as much as 75' feet away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
FireBrick wrote:
I obtained an antique Farm Light.

The kind you USED to see on poles outside the barn.
Big green top metal shade, cream color underside with a single bulb
hanging down.

The mounting bracket attaches to the pole/wall, and a horizontal pipe
feeds the wires to the socket.

I'd love to install this, but need an inline photocell to turn the
light on/off.

Searched Google for a inline photocell.
If there was one with horizontal pipe threads it would be perfect.

Anybody have any ideas?

Even though we live in an urban area, we have a country look
home/garage.
please and thank you

The photocell doesn't have to be anywhere near the light - it just has to
intercept the power. Our photocell is mounted on a brick wall and controls
three lights as much as 75' feet away.

It probably works better if it's not near the light. It can "see" the
light from the bulb and turn partially off if it's too near, even if
it's pointing the other direction (glare off the soffit and fascia boards)

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 May 2007 21:10:17 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

HeyBub wrote:
FireBrick wrote:
[...]

Sounds right to me. The light it turns on would turn it right off,
otherwise. One of those DUH things.

post light photocell Eric Home Repair 14 June 3rd 07 01:03 AM
Photocell porch light Martin Pentreath UK diy 9 October 12th 06 02:27 PM
yard light pole installation [email protected] Home Ownership 16 September 19th 06 02:01 AM
Need part for Malibu yard light Tim Fischer Home Repair 3 September 23rd 05 04:34 PM
Photocell adapter that do barry martin Home Repair 2 August 24th 04 07:44 PM