Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Strange electrical problem

On May 23, 5:53 am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
Some folks have indicated that these things may be fed from the load of a
gfcI device, that you haven't found, and this is possible, but easily
determined. With a basic continuity tester, test between the neutral
conductor and ground If you GET continuity, it's NOT fed from a tripped
gfci. If you don't get continuity, check the same thing between the hot and
ground. If you don't get continuity between these either, it's almost
certain, it IS fed from a gfci device

Bear in mind that the OP mentioned wire nuts capping the load side of his
other GFCIs, which means that he has pretty old equipment there. I think the
OP said the home was built in 1986, and I imagine his GFCIs were installed at
that time, and not replaced since.

Having said that... are you sure that the older, first-generation GFCIs opened
both the hot *and* the neutral when they tripped?

I still have one of those old wire-lead GFCIs from the 1980s lying around
somewhere. If I can find it again, maybe I'll take it apart and see....

--
Regards,

Well, it turned out to be a simple problem. After opening up all the
switch and outlet boxes and finding the connections were fine, I went
up into the attic. There was another GFCI outlet up there that had
been tripped. Apparently it is feeding the two bathrooms and their
GFCI outlets as well as the garage lights. Is this a problem?

Thanks.