DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Paint over clear finish? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/201664-paint-over-clear-finish.html)

[email protected] May 23rd 07 07:28 PM

Paint over clear finish?

I am looking to paint some cabinet doors. They currently have a clear
finish on them (Varnish/poly?) Should I strip or simply paint over the
finish?

thanks

bob

aemeijers May 24th 07 12:56 AM

Paint over clear finish?

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am looking to paint some cabinet doors. They currently have a clear
finish on them (Varnish/poly?) Should I strip or simply paint over the
finish?

Leave the clear on. The next owner who wants to take them back to clear
finish will appreciate that. Makes the paint a lot easier to strip.

But seriously, short of a chemical conflict that makes the surface
self-destruct, a degreased and slightly scuffed finish should hold any good
paint.

aem sends....