Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roofing Question

I live in FL and we are thinking about going ahead and getting a new
roof this year. I've been trying to educate myself about what is out
there - and a friend who lives in Miami is getting a new roof.
She said she was using "three dimensional" because it had stayed on
houses during the 2005 hurricanes. It's more expensive than the three-
tab kind which I read was what most people used.
How much more expensive? Does anyone know? Is GAF and Owens Corning
about the same quality? One of my neighbors is getting a new roof
now and they are going to use something to water-proof the surface
under the shingles in case they blow off and re-nail it with longer
nails that meets the new code. So with the waterproofing is getting
the more expensive shingles overkill?
Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dottie" wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in FL and we are thinking about going ahead and getting a new
roof this year. I've been trying to educate myself about what is out
there - and a friend who lives in Miami is getting a new roof.
She said she was using "three dimensional" because it had stayed on
houses during the 2005 hurricanes. It's more expensive than the three-
tab kind which I read was what most people used.
How much more expensive? Does anyone know? Is GAF and Owens Corning
about the same quality? One of my neighbors is getting a new roof
now and they are going to use something to water-proof the surface
under the shingles in case they blow off and re-nail it with longer
nails that meets the new code. So with the waterproofing is getting
the more expensive shingles overkill?
Thanks.

Dottie -- consider a metal roof. The materials are more expensive, but
they're the most secure and long lasting of all roofing options -- screwed,
not nailed. We went for a metal with a standing seam, no visible screws,
which is available in a lot of colors. My favorite is copper color, which
has almost a gold sheen to it.

If you decide not to use metal, suggest you check with your insurance
company. Mine provides discounts depending upon the material and method of
installation. In fact, they have a questionnaire which lists the various
options for roofing materials and installation methods, and determine the
discount from that information.

While the roof is being redone, you may have the option of adding or
upgrading hurricane straps of a variety of methods, which will also give you
insurance discount and additional roof security. -- Regards --

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dottie wrote in news:1179872697.615369.122920
@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

I live in FL and we are thinking about going ahead and getting a new
roof this year. I've been trying to educate myself about what is out
there - and a friend who lives in Miami is getting a new roof.
She said she was using "three dimensional"

They are probably "architectural", aka laminated, shingles.

because it had stayed on
houses during the 2005 hurricanes.

The nailing area of each shingle (Owens Corning anyway) is double layer.
See: http://www.owenscorning.com/around/r...ak_Install.pdf

It's more expensive than the three-
tab kind which I read was what most people used.
How much more expensive? Does anyone know?

18.75 Owens Corning Oakridge PRO® Series Laminate Shingles 30yr
Northeast-building supply company
14.38 Owens Corning Supreme 3-tab shingles 25yr

Is GAF and Owens Corning
about the same quality?

Both GAF & Owens Corning will say no :-)

One of my neighbors is getting a new roof
now and they are going to use something to water-proof the surface
under the shingles

Maybe they are going to use Ice Dam. Super sticky back that adheres
directly to the plywood. Felt & shingles go over it. Typically used on
eaves and valleys.
See: http://www.graceathome.com/pages/roofing.htm

in case they blow off and re-nail it with longer
nails that meets the new code.

Not sure how much good that does. Typical is 1.25" where I am. Puts the
nail through shingles and sheathing.

So with the waterproofing is getting
the more expensive shingles overkill?
Thanks.

Al...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 22 May 2007 15:24:57 -0700, Dottie wrote:

I live in FL and we are thinking about going ahead and getting a new
roof this year. I've been trying to educate myself about what is out
there - and a friend who lives in Miami is getting a new roof.
She said she was using "three dimensional" because it had stayed on
houses during the 2005 hurricanes. It's more expensive than the three-
tab kind which I read was what most people used.
How much more expensive? Does anyone know? Is GAF and Owens Corning
about the same quality? One of my neighbors is getting a new roof
now and they are going to use something to water-proof the surface
under the shingles in case they blow off and re-nail it with longer
nails that meets the new code. So with the waterproofing is getting
the more expensive shingles overkill?
Thanks.

She probably means shingles that
are thicker than normal (I guess they laminate an extra
layer of fiber-mesh to them) to give the roof a more
textured appearance, and to simulate slate, shakes, or
tile. The extra laminated layer means that they flex less,
wear longer, and are less likely to tear off around a nail.

roofing question Andy Burns UK diy 13 August 23rd 06 04:42 AM
re-roofing question al Home Repair 2 July 2nd 06 06:27 AM
Roofing question [email protected] Home Ownership 3 April 27th 06 06:01 PM
roofing question SeaKan Home Repair 4 March 25th 06 03:57 PM
Question about roofing [email protected] Metalworking 11 July 26th 05 04:39 AM