DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sliding patio door entry lock help needed (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/201277-sliding-patio-door-entry-lock-help-needed.html)

snydley May 21st 07 04:38 AM

Sliding patio door entry lock help needed

HELP,
I have a wooden 1 5/8" thick sliding glass patio door that has no exterior
lock cylinder in the outside handle. The door was on the house when I bought
it 6 years ago, I don't know what brand it is and I can find no
identification on the door anywhere. I want to buy whatever hardware is
necessary to allow me to lock the back door up when I leave and use this
door as an entry door. I have been to the local Lowes and Home Depot stores
and can't find anything that will work. My door is wooden, 1 5/8"
"thick",(outside to inside), and the door handle screws are 4" center to
center. Has anyone ever had this predicament and know where I can buy the
hardware necessary to accomplish this? I can't believe there is not
something out there that will work.
Thanks for any help,
Snyde

David Martel May 21st 07 01:49 PM

Sliding patio door entry lock help needed

Synde,

http://www.addalock.com/burglabar.html

Many hardware stores offer a product that clamps on the metal track and
can be used to lock the door partially open for pets. These clamps are
convenient but are not very secure.
If you close your door and carefully drill through both frames where they
overlap in the middle you can slide a bolt or nail in the drilled hole to
lock the doors.

Dave M.

snydley May 21st 07 02:14 PM

Sliding patio door entry lock help needed

"David Martel" wrote in message
link.net...
Synde,

http://www.addalock.com/burglabar.html

Many hardware stores offer a product that clamps on the metal track and
can be used to lock the door partially open for pets. These clamps are
convenient but are not very secure.
If you close your door and carefully drill through both frames where
they overlap in the middle you can slide a bolt or nail in the drilled
hole to lock the doors.

Dave M.

Hi Dave,
What I'm looking for is an outside door handle with barrel lock on it,
something I can use to lock it with a key from the outside. It locks fine
from the inside, I want to use it as an entry door.
Thanks for the help
Snyde

HeyBub May 21st 07 02:55 PM

snydley wrote:
HELP,
I have a wooden 1 5/8" thick sliding glass patio door that has no
exterior lock cylinder in the outside handle. The door was on the
house when I bought it 6 years ago, I don't know what brand it is and
I can find no identification on the door anywhere. I want to buy
whatever hardware is necessary to allow me to lock the back door up
when I leave and use this door as an entry door. I have been to the
local Lowes and Home Depot stores and can't find anything that will
work. My door is wooden, 1 5/8" "thick",(outside to inside), and the
door handle screws are 4" center to center. Has anyone ever had this
predicament and know where I can buy the hardware necessary to
accomplish this? I can't believe there is not something out there
that will work. Thanks for any help,
Snyde

Google (patio+door+hardware+lock) yields 400,000 hits. Here's one:

http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/73...ck-617085.aspx

Now this item is designed for the inside, but could be adapted for outside.
Anchor it to the frame such that the pin engages the TOP of the door frame.

You may have to abandon the plan to incorporate the lock within the handle.
Once you do that, other solutions pop up immediately. Such as a hasp and
padlock!

snydley May 21st 07 10:54 PM

"HeyBub" wrote in message
snydley wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the response. No, it's gonna be a lock within the handle or
nothing. If I have to I'll get a handle that has a lock in it and "adapt" it
to fit. I'm not going to butcher my door just to have a lock on it. I've
searched Google too, and found a few handles, not quite the right size, but
it looks like I'm gonna have to adapt something. My other idea was to call a
locksmith and see if they could do something. Probably cost a lot of $$$
that way though.
Snyde

toolguy May 21st 07 11:34 PM

http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/73...ks/keyed-patio...

Now this item is designed for the inside, but could be adapted for
outside. Anchor it to the frame such that the pin engages the TOP of the
door frame.

You may have to abandon the plan to incorporate the lock within the
handle. Once you do that, other solutions pop up immediately. Such as a
hasp and padlock!

Thanks for the response. No, it's gonna be a lock within the handle or
nothing. If I have to I'll get a handle that has a lock in it and "adapt" it
to fit. I'm not going to butcher my door just to have a lock on it. I've
searched Google too, and found a few handles, not quite the right size, but
it looks like I'm gonna have to adapt something. My other idea was to call a
locksmith and see if they could do something. Probably cost a lot of $$$
that way though.
Snyde- Hide quoted text -

Email me a pic of your door off list at and I'll
see what I can do for you. We have alot of old parts floating around
and I deal with several locksmith supply companies on a regular basis.
I'm sure we can find something...

Ed

Tim Smith May 22nd 07 01:11 AM

Sliding patio door entry lock help needed

In article ,
"snydley" wrote:
What I'm looking for is an outside door handle with barrel lock on it,
something I can use to lock it with a key from the outside. It locks fine
from the inside, I want to use it as an entry door.
Thanks for the help

Well, they definitely exist, because my sliding door has one, if I've
correctly understood what you are looking for. Here's a pair of
pictures of the handle on my sliding door. First, from the inside:

http://www.tzs.net/door/inside.jpg

and from the outside:

http://www.tzs.net/door/outside.jpg

So, from the inside it is a normal sliding door latch. Flip the lever,
and the hook thingy comes up. Slide the door closed with the hook
thingy up, it is will latch, so you can lock the door from outside
without using the key.

From the outside, it is a normal sliding door handle, except for a
barrel lock, which can be used to lock and unlock the door.

And yup, I use it for just what you want to get one for--that's my main
entry door.

--
--Tim Smith

snydley May 22nd 07 01:44 AM

Sliding patio door entry lock help needed

"Tim Smith" wrote in message
In article ,
"snydley" wrote:
What I'm looking for is an outside door handle with barrel lock on it,
something I can use to lock it with a key from the outside. It locks fine
from the inside, I want to use it as an entry door.
Thanks for the help

Well, they definitely exist, because my sliding door has one, if I've
correctly understood what you are looking for. Here's a pair of
pictures of the handle on my sliding door. First, from the inside:

http://www.tzs.net/door/inside.jpg

and from the outside:

http://www.tzs.net/door/outside.jpg

So, from the inside it is a normal sliding door latch. Flip the lever,
and the hook thingy comes up. Slide the door closed with the hook
thingy up, it is will latch, so you can lock the door from outside
without using the key.

From the outside, it is a normal sliding door handle, except for a
barrel lock, which can be used to lock and unlock the door.

And yup, I use it for just what you want to get one for--that's my main
entry door.

--
--Tim Smith

Hi Tim,
THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I WANT!!!!! My door doesn't have a lock on the outside.
I've seen a few online, my trouble is that I don't know the "make" of door
it is. There's no identification anywhere on it. My door is a wooden door, 1
5/8" thick, the screws are 4" apart center to center. I haven't found a
handle/lock assembly that fits that "thick" of a door. I might just have to
buy something and try to make it work.

Thanks,
Snyde

snydley May 22nd 07 01:47 AM

Sliding patio door entry lock help needed

ups.com...
"HeyBub" wrote in message

snydley wrote:
[...]

Thanks Ed, I'll do that right now.
Snyde

toolguy May 22nd 07 03:05 AM

Sliding patio door entry lock help needed

ups.com...

"HeyBub" wrote in message

snydley wrote:
[...]

If the pic Tim sent is what you need, It's Primeline #C-1041. This is
the outside trim only. It matches your screw spacing, and the
tailpiece on the lock cylinder is notched so you can break it off at
the length you need for your door. When you send the pic for
verification we can track down the exact match inside and out if
necessary. I'll be happy to send you what you need, or I can get you
in touch with a local hardware store that can help.

Ed