DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Replacement Windows (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/201261-replacement-windows.html)

Win May 21st 07 03:18 AM

Replacement Windows

It's time to replace all the windows in my house, including a 144" bow. Want
to get good quality windows (double pane with gas inserted), probably vinyl,
but there are so many window companies, each one saying that their product
is better than all the others. Any suggestions on how to make the right
choice. Thanks.

Win in NYC

Sacramento Dave May 21st 07 03:37 AM

Replacement Windows

"Win" wrote in message
It's time to replace all the windows in my house, including a 144" bow.
Want
to get good quality windows (double pane with gas inserted), probably
vinyl,
but there are so many window companies, each one saying that their product
is better than all the others. Any suggestions on how to make the right
choice. Thanks.

Win in NYC

Stay away from Home Depot and Lowes.

Joe May 21st 07 09:28 PM

Replacement Windows

Win wrote:
It's time to replace all the windows in my house, including a 144" bow. Want
to get good quality windows (double pane with gas inserted), probably vinyl,
but there are so many window companies, each one saying that their product
is better than all the others. Any suggestions on how to make the right
choice. Thanks.

Win in NYC

A high percentage of windows these days are fine quality. Andersen,
Pella, Jeld-Wenn, Crestline, and many others are well made. Like every
industry there are the fringe players, typically installers with a
connection to a small poorly run manuacturer. The tip off there is the
high pressure sales tactics and huge 'discounts if you sign today' and
pay substantial money up front.
The usual techiques for screening contractors apply...check out the
archives of this NG for tips. Contractors working for the box stores
have a less than stellar reputation, so an independant firm may be
best. Window installation is not all that hard to do, but a careless
installer can muck up a fine product quite easily.Good luck.

Joe