Posted to alt.home.repair

Default The dumbest thing I did this week...

I don't know if this thread subject has been tried here before, but
let's see how many others are willing to tell the truth on themselves
this week.

Mine:

SWMBO bought herself a preowned Buick a little while ago and yesterday I
treated it to a new set of wiper blades and decided to check the fluids
under the hood for her.

Every car we've ever owned before had the coolant overflow bottle up
front near the radiator, and the windshield washer fluid reservoir near
the firewall.

Alas, her Buick has those containers in just the the opposite locations,
and so I dutifully topped off the coolant overflow bottle with
windshield washer fluid.

I recognized my brain fart when I next went to check what I thought was
the coolant overflow bottle and saw an "squirter" icon on its cap. The
bottle I'd just misfilled had no icon on its cap, but it now has the
message "COOLANT, DUMMY" written on it in marking pen. G

Fortunately the coolant overflow bottle's hose connects to a nipple on
its bottom so I was able to pop off that hose and drain my mistake into
a couple of coffee cans, then refill the bottle with antifreeze.

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I doubt it would have hurt anything at all - there's a few gallons of
antifreeze in there, a pint of wiper fluid won't hurt it. Still, don't you
hate doing that crap? I changed my truck's oil, and instead of opening the
oilpan plug, I removed the transmission plug - that sucked.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "gorehound" wrote:

what is SWMBO?

She Who Must Be Obeyed = wife or girlfriend

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Eigenvector" wrote:

I doubt it would have hurt anything at all - there's a few gallons of
antifreeze in there, a pint of wiper fluid won't hurt it.

Disagree completely. Wiper fluid sometimes contains ammonia, which isn't going
to do the cooling system one bit of good. And virtually all wiper fluids
contain some sort of detergent -- you sure as heck don't need that foaming up
inside the cooling jacket.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

What's worse is when you dump antifreeze in the washer bottle. Had a guy do
that to one of the trucks at the last place I worked. Makes for a hell of a
mess on a buggy windshield.

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Had a friend who did that to his car in the middle of winter. It sprayed all
over his windshield but was so thick that his wipers couldn't get it all
off, he barely made it home without running into something. Had to flush out
the bottle with a hose to get rid of it, wasted the price of a whole gallon
of engine antifreeze when he should have used a 99 cent bottle of windshield
washer antifreeze.

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 10:06 pm, "EXT" wrote:
[...]

opening the oilpan plug, I removed the transmission plug - that sucked.- Hide quoted text -

I'd be concerned that methanol, with its low boiling point and high
flammability is in my radiator at high pressure. Who knows what
pressure you might end up building if you left it in there. And if
like me you're gonna leave it in there 10 years, you might want to put
in the right stuff!

-Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
. ..
I don't know if this thread subject has been tried here before, but let's
see how many others are willing to tell the truth on themselves this week.

No, I have never done anything like that before. I mean, confusing power
brake fluid with power steering fluid is natural enough, I am sure we have
all done that; but I can't imagine being dumb enough to put windshield
fluid in the coolant! Amazing.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On May 20, 8:29 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , "gorehound" wrote:
what is SWMBO?

She Who Must Be Obeyed = wife or girlfriend

From the novel series "Rumpole of the Bailey" made into TV and seen in

US on PBS for context...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 11:14 pm, "Toller" wrote:
"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

. ..I don't know if this thread subject has been tried here before, but let's
see how many others are willing to tell the truth on themselves this week.

No, I have never done anything like that before. I mean, confusing power
brake fluid with power steering fluid is natural enough, I am sure we have
all done that; but I can't imagine being dumb enough to put windshield
fluid in the coolant! Amazing.

He didn't confuse the liquids! He got the wrong filler cap. That's
very very easy to do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 12:11 pm, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
[...]

I will step up to the plate. Kinda hard to top this for stupid:

Last year I couldn't wake up the log splitter from its winter nap.
Lotsa pulling, priming etc. Pulled plug - real bad. Off to town for
new plug. Installed. More pulling, priming, cussing. Finally bit the
bullet, hooked up and towed it to the town small engine place. While
unhooking I looked down and saw the plug wire lieing innocently on the
block alongside the plug. Bad part was hooking it up, giving one
pull, and looking up to see the mech watching me. Since I had called
ahead and told him my problem all I couild do was enjoy the sneer.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On May 20, 11:22 pm, dean wrote:
On May 20, 11:14 pm, "Toller" wrote:

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

...Idon't know if this thread subject has been tried here before, but let's
see how many others are willing to tell the truth on themselves this week.

No, I have never done anything like that before. I mean, confusing power
brake fluid with power steering fluid is natural enough, I am sure we have
all done that; but I can't imagine being dumb enough to put windshield
fluid in the coolant! Amazing.

He didn't confuse the liquids! He got the wrong filler cap. That's
very very easy to do.

And, given the spirit of Jeff's post and some of Haller's, hardly an
appropriate response...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 9:33 am, Harry K wrote:
[...]

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

I dismantled a tape cassette player once which was not turning the
capstan. Once I had it in a hundred parts on the table, I realize the
pause button was pressed in! I doubt if anyone could beat that!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:

I will step up to the plate. Kinda hard to top this for stupid:

Last year I couldn't wake up the log splitter from its winter nap.
Lotsa pulling, priming etc. Pulled plug - real bad. Off to town for
new plug. Installed. More pulling, priming, cussing. Finally bit the
bullet, hooked up and towed it to the town small engine place. While
unhooking I looked down and saw the plug wire lieing innocently on the
block alongside the plug. Bad part was hooking it up, giving one
pull, and looking up to see the mech watching me. Since I had called
ahead and told him my problem all I couild do was enjoy the sneer.

Happens all the time. Similar to feeling better while just sitting in the
doctor's waiting room.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "gorehound" wrote:

what is SWMBO?

She Who Must Be Obeyed = wife or girlfriend

From the novel series "Rumpole of the Bailey" made into TV and seen in

US on PBS for context...

But the first use of the full wording I recall seeing was in H. Rider
Haggard's novel "She":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She_(novel)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

dean wrote:

On May 20, 10:06 pm, "EXT" wrote:

Had a friend who did that to his car in the middle of winter. It sprayed all
over his windshield but was so thick that his wipers couldn't get it all
off, he barely made it home without running into something. Had to flush out
the bottle with a hose to get rid of it, wasted the price of a whole gallon
of engine antifreeze when he should have used a 99 cent bottle of windshield
washer antifreeze.

om...

news:bZ6dnUn8Bv3vAM3bnZ2dnUVZ_uiknZ2d@comcast. com...

[...]

Well, I suspect the radiator cap pressure release system would take care
of any pressure buildup.

As for flamability, I'm old enough to remember when the only antifreezes
we used were alcohol/water ones. G

I still felt that rectifying my stupid error immediately was "the right
thing to do".

Jeff

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 20, 11:22 pm, dean wrote:
On May 20, 11:14 pm, "Toller" wrote:

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

...Idon't know if this
thread subject has been tried here before, but let's
see how many others are willing to tell the truth on themselves this
week.

No, I have never done anything like that before. I mean, confusing
power
brake fluid with power steering fluid is natural enough, I am sure we
have
all done that; but I can't imagine being dumb enough to put windshield
fluid in the coolant! Amazing.

He didn't confuse the liquids! He got the wrong filler cap. That's
very very easy to do.

And, given the spirit of Jeff's post and some of Haller's, hardly an
appropriate response...

Sure it was; it just went over your head.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 10:28 am, "Toller" wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message

ups.com...

On May 20, 11:22 pm, dean wrote:
On May 20, 11:14 pm, "Toller" wrote:

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

...Idon'tknow if this
thread subject has been tried here before, but let's
see how many others are willing to tell the truth on themselves this
week.

No, I have never done anything like that before. I mean, confusing
power
brake fluid with power steering fluid is natural enough, I am sure we
have
all done that; but I can't imagine being dumb enough to put windshield
fluid in the coolant! Amazing.

He didn't confuse the liquids! He got the wrong filler cap. That's
very very easy to do.

And, given the spirit of Jeff's post and some of Haller's, hardly an
appropriate response...

Sure it was; it just went over your head.- Hide quoted text -

Is Buick included with Chevy where You have to use the exact type of
coolant(red stuff) to keep the long warranty valid? Dunno how old the
car in question is or if that warranty goes with a car or is only for
orig owner..
I bought My current truck(96 4x4 Silverado ext cab) with 30,000
miles on it but used the called-for coolant anyway,just for "good
measure"..It has 165,000 miles now and 0 probs from cooling sys.
Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Redux-The dumbest thing I did this week...

Now, I gotta tell one on SWMBO, whose overall stellar qualities far
outweigh her total antipathy about understanding technology one whit
beyond what is absolutely essential for daily activities.

Last week she returned to our office from a meeting at a small college
she consults for, normally about a two hour drive.

She arrived about an hour later than expected. She complained that while
she was driving at the highway speed limit and even though it was
raining, cars were "speeding" right by her all the way.

You guessed it guys, she'd somehow pushed the button on her Buick's
dashboard which switched the speedometer from english to metric, and
despite the little "KM" lit up on the speedo dial, she she kept the
needle "at the speed limit" all the way back. G

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote

She arrived about an hour later than expected. She complained that while
she was driving at the highway speed limit and even though it was raining,
cars were "speeding" right by her all the way.

You guessed it guys, she'd somehow pushed the button on her Buick's
dashboard which switched the speedometer from english to metric, and
despite the little "KM" lit up on the speedo dial, she she kept the needle
"at the speed limit" all the way back. G

What was she going, like 35 mph in a 55 zone, something like that?
And she didn't notice she was going really slow. Lucky she didn't
cause an accident.

I hope she's not required to make important decisions where you work.
She doesn't seem to be very intuitive. Heh.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nancy Young wrote:
"Jeff Wisnia" wrote

She arrived about an hour later than expected. She complained that while
she was driving at the highway speed limit and even though it was raining,
cars were "speeding" right by her all the way.

You guessed it guys, she'd somehow pushed the button on her Buick's
dashboard which switched the speedometer from english to metric, and
despite the little "KM" lit up on the speedo dial, she she kept the needle
"at the speed limit" all the way back. G

What was she going, like 35 mph in a 55 zone, something like that?
And she didn't notice she was going really slow. Lucky she didn't
cause an accident.

I hope she's not required to make important decisions where you work.
She doesn't seem to be very intuitive. Heh.

nancy

That's what's so amazing about her Nancy. She has no real understanding
or desire to learn about how technological things work, but was gifted
with extremely good intuition when it comes to people skills.

She started her for-profit business 28 years ago. It currently has over
70 allied medical professionals and teachers working for it, and she's
still making all the important daily decisions.

Shameless proud hubby plug:

http://www.wkrp.org

Peace,

Jeff