DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sanded cedar deck. Sealer with brush or roller? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/201181-sanded-cedar-deck-sealer-brush-roller.html)

dean May 20th 07 12:47 AM

Sanded cedar deck. Sealer with brush or roller?

Do people here have any strong opinion for brushing on or rolling on
sealer (Penofin) onto a just-sanded cedar deck?

Edwin Pawlowski May 20th 07 03:37 AM

Sanded cedar deck. Sealer with brush or roller?

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
Do people here have any strong opinion for brushing on or rolling on
sealer (Penofin) onto a just-sanded cedar deck?

Both. Roller will do the top, but brush will get between the boards.

Are you done with the sanding? How did it work out?
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

dean May 20th 07 04:23 AM

Sanded cedar deck. Sealer with brush or roller?

On May 19, 10:37 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"dean" wrote in message

oups.com...

Do people here have any strong opinion for brushing on or rolling on
sealer (Penofin) onto a just-sanded cedar deck?

Both. Roller will do the top, but brush will get between the boards.

Are you done with the sanding? How did it work out?
--
Edhttp://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

It looks and feels amazing. Came up from a dirty gray, rough,
splintery surface to a great looking smooth brown. Especially nice
appearance when its wet.

Thing is, if I brush the gap, then I might as well do the whole thing
with the brush, the planks are only 6" wide.

willshak May 20th 07 01:50 PM

on 5/19/2007 7:47 PM dean said the following:
Do people here have any strong opinion for brushing on or rolling on
sealer (Penofin) onto a just-sanded cedar deck?

My opinions:
Rolling is faster and better on your back whether it's a first coat or
second?
Rolling puts on a heavier amount of sealer.
It's easier to throw away a roller than clean a more expensive brush?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Lawrence May 20th 07 05:48 PM

On May 19, 6:47 pm, dean wrote:
Do people here have any strong opinion for brushing on or rolling on
sealer (Penofin) onto a just-sanded cedar deck?

Slop the stain on there with a roller. Then use a brush to even out
and fill in the cracks and such.

Bob M. May 20th 07 06:39 PM

Sanded cedar deck. Sealer with brush or roller?

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 19, 10:37 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"dean" wrote in message

oups.com...

Do people here have any strong opinion for brushing on or rolling on
sealer (Penofin) onto a just-sanded cedar deck?

Both. Roller will do the top, but brush will get between the boards.

Are you done with the sanding? How did it work out?
--
Edhttp://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

It looks and feels amazing. Came up from a dirty gray, rough,
splintery surface to a great looking smooth brown. Especially nice
appearance when its wet.

Thing is, if I brush the gap, then I might as well do the whole thing
with the brush, the planks are only 6" wide.

How about a paint sprayer? Trouble is, with them you have to mask
everything within 50 feet. The overspray goes everywhere. But -because-
the spray goes everywhere, it gets into places that a brush may have a hard
time getting to.

Bob F May 20th 07 07:38 PM

Sanded cedar deck. Sealer with brush or roller?

"Bob M." wrote in message

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 19, 10:37 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"dean" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

I've used a 1 qt cheap airless sprayer to put the paint down, then
overbrush it to get goot penetration. It goes really fast this way.

Bob

Phisherman May 20th 07 10:01 PM

On 19 May 2007 16:47:17 -0700, dean wrote:

Do people here have any strong opinion for brushing on or rolling on
sealer (Penofin) onto a just-sanded cedar deck?

I prefer a large thick brush, natural bristle wooden handle. A roller
is faster on large flat surfaces, but you'll need a brush for hard to
reach areas.