DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Fan control reversed (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/201008-fan-control-reversed.html)

Duck May 18th 07 02:11 AM

Fan control reversed

I have a problem with a variable fan control being reversed. Off is
off... but that's the only thing that's normal. The low setting
results with the fan at max speed and the high setting causes the fan
to run at it's lowest speed. I've tried three different fan controls.

mm May 18th 07 05:46 AM

Fan control reversed

On 17 May 2007 18:11:22 -0700, Duck wrote:

I have a problem with a variable fan control being reversed. Off is
off... but that's the only thing that's normal. The low setting
results with the fan at max speed and the high setting causes the fan
to run at it's lowest speed.

So isn't that good enough?

I've tried three different fan controls.

John Grabowski May 18th 07 12:06 PM

Fan control reversed

"Duck" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a problem with a variable fan control being reversed. Off is
off... but that's the only thing that's normal. The low setting
results with the fan at max speed and the high setting causes the fan
to run at it's lowest speed. I've tried three different fan controls.

With some the first "On" speed is high and then medium, then low. Is there
a label indicating the speeds or are you just presuming that low should be
first?

Duck May 18th 07 12:45 PM

Fan control reversed

With some the first "On" speed is high and then medium, then low. Is there
a label indicating the speeds or are you just presuming that low should be
first?

I've tried one that is labeled 0, 1, 2, 3, 4.

0 = off
1 = high
2 = slower
3 = slower still
4 = slowest

I also tried a rotary type where as I rotate it clockwise out of the
off position, it goes to high speed. As I continue to rotate it
further, the fan runs slower.

This runs contrary to every variable speed adjustment I've every seen
for fans. I'm worried that there may me another issue (bad wiring, fan
problem, etc.).

Rich May 18th 07 01:05 PM

Fan control reversed

Duck wrote:
With some the first "On" speed is high and then medium, then low.
Is there a label indicating the speeds or are you just presuming
that low should be first?

I've tried one that is labeled 0, 1, 2, 3, 4.

0 = off
1 = high
2 = slower
3 = slower still
4 = slowest

I also tried a rotary type where as I rotate it clockwise out of the
off position, it goes to high speed. As I continue to rotate it
further, the fan runs slower.

This runs contrary to every variable speed adjustment I've every seen
for fans. I'm worried that there may me another issue (bad wiring, fan
problem, etc.).

This is exactly how it should be for a fan. It is easier on the motor to
start in high then be turned down lower if desired. Also most people when
they reach for the fan they are warm and want to move a lot of air as soon
as possible.

Rich

Steve May 18th 07 01:09 PM

Fan control reversed

Duck wrote on 18 May 2007 in group alt.home.repair:

I've tried one that is labeled 0, 1, 2, 3, 4.

0 = off
1 = high
2 = slower
3 = slower still
4 = slowest

I also tried a rotary type where as I rotate it clockwise out of the
off position, it goes to high speed. As I continue to rotate it
further, the fan runs slower.

This runs contrary to every variable speed adjustment I've every seen
for fans. I'm worried that there may me another issue (bad wiring,
fan problem, etc.).

That's the way ceiling fans are made. I've never seen one that didn't work
this way. The pull chain on the fan body uses the same pattern. I don't
know why. It's always bothered me too.

N8N May 18th 07 02:31 PM

Fan control reversed

On May 18, 8:09 am, Steve wrote:
Duck wrote on 18 May 2007 in group alt.home.repair:

I've tried one that is labeled 0, 1, 2, 3, 4.

0 = off
1 = high
2 = slower
3 = slower still
4 = slowest

I also tried a rotary type where as I rotate it clockwise out of the
off position, it goes to high speed. As I continue to rotate it
further, the fan runs slower.

This runs contrary to every variable speed adjustment I've every seen
for fans. I'm worried that there may me another issue (bad wiring,
fan problem, etc.).

That's the way ceiling fans are made. I've never seen one that didn't work
this way. The pull chain on the fan body uses the same pattern. I don't
know why. It's always bothered me too.

I believe because the motor may not have enough torque on the lowest
speed setting to start the fan if you just switch it directly to the
lowest speed, but briefly passing through high speed will get the
blades spinning so the motor doesn't burn out.

nate

Mark Lloyd May 18th 07 04:36 PM

Fan control reversed

On 17 May 2007 18:11:22 -0700, Duck wrote:

I have a problem with a variable fan control being reversed. Off is
off... but that's the only thing that's normal. The low setting
results with the fan at max speed and the high setting causes the fan
to run at it's lowest speed. I've tried three different fan controls.

Most I've seen would do that. Maybe some motors won't start in low.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy

Steve May 19th 07 03:01 AM

Fan control reversed

N8N wrote on 18 May 2007 in group
alt.home.repair:

On May 18, 8:09 am, Steve wrote:
[...]

That would surprise me. You can leave the fan set on Low, then turn it
on and off with the wall switch. I've done this with every fan I've ever
owned, and none of them have had a problem. Low is the right speed for
me most of the time.

I used to sell ceiling fans, and I was never trained to tell customers
to start them on high. Of course, that's no proof.

I can't tell you how many fans I've installed over the years (billions
and billions?), and I've never had a call-back because a fan burned out.
I HAVE, however, seen some that have worn out from old age and constant
use.
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement

mm May 19th 07 04:48 AM

Fan control reversed

On 19 May 2007 02:01:42 GMT, Steve wrote:

I can't tell you how many fans I've installed over the years (billions
and billions?),

You may be confusing this with hamburgers eaten.