Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Neighbor impies he will disclose my old Septic Tank

I have one of those neighbors. Couple of weeks ago I posted here about
an old abandoned sepic tank caving in. I filled it with bolders,
stones and sand. It is solid so no one will fall in. My neighbor told
me that I should have called clean harbor an have it removed at a huge
cost. The truth is that there is nothing to remove. The steel tank has
disintegrated. There has been no sewage in this tank for over 60
years. Why is this considered a health hazzard? If I try to sell my
house my neighbor will probably mention it to any prospective buyer
(or the person who eventually buys it). I'm not sure how he found out
about it. By the way, I live in New Hampsire. Not sure what the laws
are regarding this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mstrspy" wrote in message
I have one of those neighbors. Couple of weeks ago I posted here about
an old abandoned sepic tank caving in. I filled it with bolders,
stones and sand. It is solid so no one will fall in. My neighbor told
me that I should have called clean harbor an have it removed at a huge
cost. The truth is that there is nothing to remove. The steel tank has
disintegrated. There has been no sewage in this tank for over 60
years. Why is this considered a health hazzard? If I try to sell my
house my neighbor will probably mention it to any prospective buyer
(or the person who eventually buys it). I'm not sure how he found out
about it. By the way, I live in New Hampsire. Not sure what the laws
are regarding this.

If you are lucky, you'll out live him and it won't matter. Since it is
filled, I doubt you'd have any problems if he did try to make a stink about
it. No reason to call Clean Harbors and pay a lot of money for nothing.

Part of this thread was one fellow stating he was not about to fill in his
tank, it did not matter, etc. On the news yesterday, a horse fell into an
abandoned tank here in CT. Killingsworth, IIRC. It was quite a project to
get the horse lifted out with a tow truck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mstrspy wrote:
I have one of those neighbors. Couple of weeks ago I posted here about
an old abandoned sepic tank caving in. I filled it with bolders,
stones and sand. It is solid so no one will fall in. My neighbor told
me that I should have called clean harbor an have it removed at a huge
cost. The truth is that there is nothing to remove. The steel tank has
disintegrated. There has been no sewage in this tank for over 60
years. Why is this considered a health hazzard? If I try to sell my
house my neighbor will probably mention it to any prospective buyer
(or the person who eventually buys it). I'm not sure how he found out
about it. By the way, I live in New Hampsire. Not sure what the laws
are regarding this.

You might call a septic company, tell them what you have and
have someone come out and give you some options. Otherwise,
there is not much you can do.

Since I am a contractor, I have to do things correctly or I
will be in a lot of trouble. Homeowners don't worry so much
about this, so they tend to get into expensive situations when
they could have done the right thing far less expensively.

A client had an old well. It had to be plugged because it was
within 500 feet of a new gas station. He didn't want to pay
the 1200 bucks to have it plugged, so he cut the pump line
loose and let it all fall into the well. When the inspector
found the well, due to excavation on the site, he called the
TNRCC and reported it. Well company came out and spent 2 days
fishing out the old pump, plugging the well and charged $5,000
for the privilege.

I don't know what will happen in your case. It may be that
the septic company will come out and do an inspection and
suggest filling with sand. OTOH, they may require the tank to
be excavated, pumped out and filled. Just call someone and
ask what they think should be done. They will not report you
to the authorities, regardless. At least you will know what
you are up against. Might be nothing.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article Pjv2i.17388$b67.1497@trnddc06, Robert Allison says...

mstrspy wrote:
[...]

Really good advice. If there is an issue - fix it. Not everyone subscribes to
the "I'll look the other way while you pull your **** and you'll look the other
way while I pull mine" ethic. On the other hand, you don't have to do it to the
nth degree and necessarily do what the neighbor says - you only need to meet
codes and regulations.

I'd check with the town or munincipality also to see what the requirements and
get a hardcopy of them. Keep records of any work you have done along with that
copy of the codes. Then you'll be protected against any ill intention on the
part of any neighbor, and you can inform this particular neighbor of the
legality of the (fixed) condition of your old septic.

But there's really no way around doing things right. So educate yourself, fix
it if necessary, then educate your neighbor.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Meat Plow says...

On Wed, 16 May 2007 03:28:47 +0000, mstrspy wrote:

I have one of those neighbors. Couple of weeks ago I posted here about
an old abandoned sepic tank caving in. I filled it with bolders,
stones and sand. It is solid so no one will fall in. My neighbor told
me that I should have called clean harbor an have it removed at a huge
cost. The truth is that there is nothing to remove. The steel tank has
disintegrated. There has been no sewage in this tank for over 60
years. Why is this considered a health hazzard? If I try to sell my
house my neighbor will probably mention it to any prospective buyer
(or the person who eventually buys it). I'm not sure how he found out
about it. By the way, I live in New Hampsire. Not sure what the laws
are regarding this.

Tell the neighbor you will file harassment charges.

Heh.

There is no jurisdiction that recognizes reporting a violation as 'harassment'.
The neighbor seems informed, so I really doubt this would work as an
intimidation tactic. Indeed, our poster might find out what *else* the neighbor
*had* been quietly putting up with for the sake of neighborly relations, if he
were to follow your advice!

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , mstrspy says...

I have one of those neighbors. Couple of weeks ago I posted here about
an old abandoned sepic tank caving in. I filled it with bolders,
stones and sand. It is solid so no one will fall in. My neighbor told
me that I should have called clean harbor an have it removed at a huge
cost. The truth is that there is nothing to remove. The steel tank has
disintegrated. There has been no sewage in this tank for over 60
years. Why is this considered a health hazzard? If I try to sell my
house my neighbor will probably mention it to any prospective buyer
(or the person who eventually buys it). I'm not sure how he found out
about it. By the way, I live in New Hampsire. Not sure what the laws
are regarding this.

Then find out what the laws and ordinances are. You might actually be OK. Then
you can educate your neighbor, and that will be the end of it.

Otherwise, fix it. It would have to be disclosed anyway, in NH?

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On May 15, 10:28 pm, mstrspy wrote:
I have one of those neighbors. Couple of weeks ago I posted here about
an old abandoned sepic tank caving in. I filled it with bolders,
stones and sand. It is solid so no one will fall in. My neighbor told
me that I should have called clean harbor an have it removed at a huge
cost. The truth is that there is nothing to remove. The steel tank has
disintegrated. There has been no sewage in this tank for over 60
years. Why is this considered a health hazzard? If I try to sell my
house my neighbor will probably mention it to any prospective buyer
(or the person who eventually buys it). I'm not sure how he found out
about it. By the way, I live in New Hampsire. Not sure what the laws
are regarding this.

First, the obvious -- call the local health authority, whether it be
county or city and ask. If you're that concerned about disclosing it,
look it up on the state web site. I strongly expect that having
filled it conscientiously you'll be fine but if it's bugging you to
not know, then find out from local authority what the local
regulations say.

As for disclosure, as in most places I'd be pretty sure there's a
"full disclosure" law in NH as in most (if not all) states that
requires all known situations be made known to a potential buyer.
You're far worse off in not disclosing something and having it come
out opening yourself for liability as well as violation of the
disclosure laws than possibly could be for be upfront.

As for the nosy neighbor, if you're up front an honest, what can he/
she do to harm? You can't prevent them from talking to anybody so you
may as well do the right thing (tm) and get on w/ it...

imo, ymmv, $0.02, etc., etc., ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I agree with Robert. The most important thing to find out is what
the local requirements are. And I would do that discreetly. As
suggested, calling a company that deals with septic tanks is one
way. You could also call town hall and say you're looking at buying
a property that has an old septic tank, etc and ask what the deal is.

I'd also get a copy of any state disclosure sheet that is used for
real estate sales and see what questions are on it.

And I agree with the OP, that if he filled it in with sound material,
I don't see it as a real issue of any kind. It wouldn't bother me as
a purchaser. However, what the local law says may be another matter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

So, you basically filled an old empty, dry, hole with rock. There's no
problem that I see. Let it lawn over and the neighbor won't have a leg to
stand on. Anyone wanting to snoop will need a search warrant.

--
Steve Barker

"mstrspy" wrote in message
I have one of those neighbors. Couple of weeks ago I posted here about
an old abandoned sepic tank caving in. I filled it with bolders,
stones and sand. It is solid so no one will fall in. My neighbor told
me that I should have called clean harbor an have it removed at a huge
cost. The truth is that there is nothing to remove. The steel tank has
disintegrated. There has been no sewage in this tank for over 60
years. Why is this considered a health hazzard? If I try to sell my
house my neighbor will probably mention it to any prospective buyer
(or the person who eventually buys it). I'm not sure how he found out
about it. By the way, I live in New Hampsire. Not sure what the laws
are regarding this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 16, 9:18 am, "Steve Barker"
wrote:
So, you basically filled an old empty, dry, hole with rock. There's no
problem that I see.

So, you're familiar with the laws specific to abandoned septic tanks
in his town in NH?

Let it lawn over and the neighbor won't have a leg to
stand on.

He has a leg to stand on if the law wasn't followed and he reports
it. Not saying this is true, but it sure is possible, unless you know
the law and whether what he did met the reqts of the law.

Anyone wanting to snoop will need a search warrant.

I seriously doubt a municipal code or health official needs a search
warrant to enter a yard to look at a reported health/safety problem.
They aren't entering the domicile and it's a public health issue.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Steve Barker says...

So, you basically filled an old empty, dry, hole with rock. There's no
problem that I see. Let it lawn over and the neighbor won't have a leg to
stand on. Anyone wanting to snoop will need a search warrant.

New buyers won't need a search warrant, their home inspector won't need a search
warrant. Town authorities won't need a search warrant. There's no search
warranted needed for new buyers and said neighbor to converse, and take action
if this problem isn't disclosed.

The search warrant thing addresses none of the concern he should have if this
isn't done to code.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

In my area you only need to pump it out and then collapse the concrete tank
in on itself when running the sewer line through it then filled with fill. I
imagine steel tanks would get the same treatment because they are mostly
rust and could never stand being removed.

"mstrspy" wrote in message
I have one of those neighbors. Couple of weeks ago I posted here about
an old abandoned sepic tank caving in. I filled it with bolders,
stones and sand. It is solid so no one will fall in. My neighbor told
me that I should have called clean harbor an have it removed at a huge
cost. The truth is that there is nothing to remove. The steel tank has
disintegrated. There has been no sewage in this tank for over 60
years. Why is this considered a health hazzard? If I try to sell my
house my neighbor will probably mention it to any prospective buyer
(or the person who eventually buys it). I'm not sure how he found out
about it. By the way, I live in New Hampsire. Not sure what the laws
are regarding this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 15, 8:28 pm, mstrspy wrote:
I have one of those neighbors. Couple of weeks ago I posted here about
an old abandoned sepic tank caving in. I filled it with bolders,
stones and sand. It is solid so no one will fall in. My neighbor told
me that I should have called clean harbor an have it removed at a huge
cost. The truth is that there is nothing to remove. The steel tank has
disintegrated. There has been no sewage in this tank for over 60
years. Why is this considered a health hazzard? If I try to sell my
house my neighbor will probably mention it to any prospective buyer
(or the person who eventually buys it). I'm not sure how he found out
about it. By the way, I live in New Hampsire. Not sure what the laws
are regarding this.

Dig up dirt on him and fix him up, but don't tell him you're coming at
him.

That will save you from further repurcussion.

The best defense is a good offense.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, MRS. CLEAN
says...

[...]

Another sign of the jailhouse "no snitch" ethic of the "I'll look away from your
transgressions if you look away from mine" kind of neighbor.

You may not believe it, but there stands a real good chance that this neighbor
fixes what needs to be fixed, to code, on his own property, and follows
ordinances (no loose dogs, no crazy Sat. 1am noises), and therefore has no
particular "dirt" for folks like the poster (or you) to "dig up on him".

*Most* people have no or few, minor code stuff going on that's not grandfathered
or something like that (no violation).

So there's no sitting pretty digging dirt on someone to intimidate them into
silence.

Banty (some folks just amaze me...)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 16, 12:07�pm, Banty wrote:
In article , Steve Barker says...

So, you basically filled an old empty, dry, hole with rock. *There's no
problem that I see. *Let it lawn over and the neighbor won't have a leg to
stand on. *Anyone wanting to snoop will need a search warrant.

New buyers won't need a search warrant, their home inspector won't need a search
warrant. *Town authorities won't need a search warrant. *There's no search
warranted needed for new buyers and said neighbor to converse, and take action
if this problem isn't disclosed.

The search warrant thing addresses none of the concern he should have if this
isn't done to code.

Banty

well a 50 year unused tank shouldnt contain anything hazardous after
all these years.

at resale time do disclose its location and that it was filled up

Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

mstrspy wrote:
I have one of those neighbors. Couple of weeks ago I posted here about
an old abandoned sepic tank caving in. I filled it with bolders,
stones and sand. It is solid so no one will fall in. My neighbor told
me that I should have called clean harbor an have it removed at a huge
cost. The truth is that there is nothing to remove. The steel tank has
disintegrated. There has been no sewage in this tank for over 60
years. Why is this considered a health hazzard? If I try to sell my
house my neighbor will probably mention it to any prospective buyer
(or the person who eventually buys it). I'm not sure how he found out
about it. By the way, I live in New Hampsire. Not sure what the laws
are regarding this.

60+ years, huh? I'd start a rumor that previous owners put their
family jewels in a glass jar, tied a string around it, lowered it into
the septic tank as a hiding place, and the string broke. Any jewels
they find is theirs. You should be able to get it dug up for free.

KC

Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

mstrspy wrote:
I have one of those neighbors. Couple of weeks ago I posted here about
an old abandoned sepic tank caving in. I filled it with bolders,
stones and sand. It is solid so no one will fall in. My neighbor told
me that I should have called clean harbor an have it removed at a huge
cost. The truth is that there is nothing to remove. The steel tank has
disintegrated. There has been no sewage in this tank for over 60
years. Why is this considered a health hazzard? If I try to sell my
house my neighbor will probably mention it to any prospective buyer
(or the person who eventually buys it). I'm not sure how he found out
about it. By the way, I live in New Hampsire. Not sure what the laws
are regarding this.

60+ years, huh? I'd start a rumor that the previous owners put their
family jewels in a glass jar, tied a string around it, lowered it into
the septic tank as a hiding place, and the string broke. Offer 80% of
any jewels found. You should have that tank dug up for free in no
time at all.

KC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 15, 8:28 pm, mstrspy wrote:
I have one of those neighbors. Couple of weeks ago I posted here about
an old abandoned sepic tank caving in. I filled it with bolders,
stones and sand. It is solid so no one will fall in. My neighbor told
me that I should have called clean harbor an have it removed at a huge
cost.

Your neighbor is confused. Fuel oil tanks have to be decommissioned,
which includes removal and testing for leaks under the tank. Septic
tanks face no such regulations. You did fine. Tell him to STFU, then
forget it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 16, 1:30�pm, Charlie Morgan wrote:
On Wed, 16 May 2007 03:28:47 GMT, mstrspy wrote:
I have one of those neighbors. Couple of weeks ago I posted here about
an old abandoned sepic tank caving in. I filled it with bolders,
stones and sand. It is solid so no one will fall in. *My neighbor told
me that I should have called clean harbor an have it removed at a huge
cost. The truth is that there is nothing to remove. The steel tank has
disintegrated. There has been no sewage in this tank for over 60
years. Why is this considered a health hazzard? *If I try to sell my
house my neighbor will probably mention it to any prospective buyer
(or the person who eventually buys it). I'm not sure how he found out
about it. By the way, I live in New Hampsire. Not sure what the laws
are regarding this.

On the next moonless night, dig up the entire mess and transplant it
across the property line...

CWM

I had a neighbor like that once, he became the neighborhood problem,
dogs barking kids playing basketball every little thing made him mad
and generated a call to the police and their unhappy faces at the
doors.

I had a reputation at the town of being a trouble maker after I
INSISTED on speaking my thoughts at the monthly meeting after they
installed a speed limit sign at my other home smack dap in the worst
possible place, the one I happened to use to pull vehicles on the lawn
for a variety of repair projects under way at the time. my point they
should of asked BEFORE placing it, rater than it being a surprise....
a few feet made all the difference

So I went and saw the twp manager and very nicely requested all the
rules on half way houses and welfare relocatees the look on his face
was priceless.......

I had found my neighbor idiot had started a home based investment
business, thats why he demanded silence....

I asked has he got his business privelage license? one cop must of
been a friend of the neighbor was taking all the calls, cop suggested
we get rid of our dogs, my wife was crushed she cant have kids.

cop got head kicked in for not following procedure, neighbor had new
tax to pay its on gross business must of been costly chatted with
chief of police, idiot neighbor had complainded of people walking dogs
in mid day making other dogs bark i wasnt the only one being harased.
parents of kids playing ball were upset too. at least kids were home
not running the street selling drugs.

within a few weeks the for sale sign deorated his lawn and we all
smiled the day he moved

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 16 May 2007 14:26:58 -0700, "
wrote:

[...]

Sounds like you're all a bunch of nuts who nobody would want as a
neighbor.

Ryan
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ryan" wrote in message
On 16 May 2007 14:26:58 -0700, "
wrote:

[...]

And they speak in T. S. Eliot sentences. (for those not familiar with T. S.
Eliot, she was an author who wrote the longest sentences known to mankind.)

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

++++++++

Probably not as much as he smiled on the day it sold.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Steve B" wrote:

And they speak in T. S. Eliot sentences. (for those not familiar with T. S.
Eliot, she was an author who wrote the longest sentences known to mankind.)

You're confusing T. S. Elliot with George Eliot. TS (Thomas Stearns) was a
man. George Eliot was the pen name of Mary Anne Evans.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

MERCIFUL SNIPPAGE

And they speak in T. S. Eliot sentences. (for those not familiar with T. S.
Eliot, she was an author who wrote the longest sentences known to mankind.)

Thomas Stearns Elliot? That T.S. Elliot? She?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mstrspy" wrote in message
I have one of those neighbors. Couple of weeks ago I posted here about
an old abandoned sepic tank caving in. I filled it with bolders,
stones and sand. It is solid so no one will fall in. My neighbor told
me that I should have called clean harbor an have it removed at a huge
cost. The truth is that there is nothing to remove. The steel tank has
disintegrated. There has been no sewage in this tank for over 60
years. Why is this considered a health hazzard? If I try to sell my
house my neighbor will probably mention it to any prospective buyer
(or the person who eventually buys it). I'm not sure how he found out
about it. By the way, I live in New Hampsire. Not sure what the laws
are regarding this.

Not to be too coarse - but why don't you tell your neighbor to **** off?

Posted to alt.home.repair

He said it had been dry for years. It was a hole in the ground.

--
Steve Barker

wrote in message
ps.com...
On May 16, 9:18 am, "Steve Barker"
wrote:
So, you basically filled an old empty, dry, hole with rock. There's no
problem that I see.

So, you're familiar with the laws specific to abandoned septic tanks
in his town in NH?

Let it lawn over and the neighbor won't have a leg to
stand on.

He has a leg to stand on if the law wasn't followed and he reports
it. Not saying this is true, but it sure is possible, unless you know
the law and whether what he did met the reqts of the law.

Anyone wanting to snoop will need a search warrant.

I seriously doubt a municipal code or health official needs a search
warrant to enter a yard to look at a reported health/safety problem.
They aren't entering the domicile and it's a public health issue.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 15, 8:28 pm, mstrspy wrote:
I have one of those neighbors. Couple of weeks ago I posted here about
an old abandoned sepic tank caving in. I filled it with bolders,
stones and sand. It is solid so no one will fall in. My neighbor told
me that I should have called clean harbor an have it removed at a huge
cost. The truth is that there is nothing to remove. The steel tank has
disintegrated. There has been no sewage in this tank for over 60
years. Why is this considered a health hazzard? If I try to sell my
house my neighbor will probably mention it to any prospective buyer
(or the person who eventually buys it). I'm not sure how he found out
about it. By the way, I live in New Hampsire. Not sure what the laws
are regarding this.

Give Clean Harbors a call

I'll bet that your neighbor is confusing septic tank "decommissioning"
with need to decommission an underground fuel tank.

Unless I'm mistaken, an septic tank needs no special treatment beyond
emptying (pumping out) & filling with sand. I've seen several done
this way in SoCal over the years. They're a potential collapse hazard
not an environmental pollution problem.

When Clean Harbors gives you the "no special treatment" answer, share
it with your local "expert".

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev Sev is offline

On May 16, 5:48�pm, "Steve B" ExSurDO2Di

And they speak in T. S. Eliot sentences. *(for those not familiar with T. S.
Eliot, she was an author who wrote the longest sentences known to mankind..)

Steve I think you're mixing George Eliot (she) with T.S. (Thomas
Stearns) Eliot- "The Waste Land" etc.
In this case, if there is only rock and no water, all is
probably ok.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sev" wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 16, 5:48?pm, "Steve B" ExSurDO2Di

And they speak in T. S. Eliot sentences. (for those not familiar with T.
S.
Eliot, she was an author who wrote the longest sentences known to
mankind.)

Steve I think you're mixing George Eliot (she) with T.S. (Thomas
Stearns) Eliot- "The Waste Land" etc.
In this case, if there is only rock and no water, all is
probably ok.

You are correct. George Eliot was the pen name of Mary Ann Evans. She took
a masculine nom de plume, as women writers were not accepted well in the
1860's. She wrote Silas Marner: the Weaver of Raveloe. Sorry, That
particular English lit class was in 1965, and a lot of things have passed
through my grey matter/white matter hard drive since then.

I hope I have it right this time, as I surely will look foolish if I do not.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 16, 5:42 pm, Ryan wrote:
On 16 May 2007 14:26:58 -0700, "
wrote:

[...]

Ryan- Hide quoted text -

While not the most lucid post, it sort of sounds like my
neighborhood. Kids playing in the street, dogs barking from time to
time, parents calling the kids in for lunch or dinner with a yell from
a window or door.
It's really nice. You get to know the neighbors, make some friends;
people start to look out for each other. I might go through patch
kits like crazy and give a few minutes here & there patching a tire or
making an adjustment on a neighbor kids bike, but I'm never without
conversation & an extra set of hands when working in the yard. I like
it. I really wouldn't want it any other way.
Someone who called the police for a barking dog or kids playing ball
would detract from that. Rather, they would if the cops in my town
would care (which I do not believe would be the case).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 May 2007 14:48:54 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Ryan" wrote in message
.. .
On 16 May 2007 14:26:58 -0700, "
wrote:

[...]

Some people don't have trouble remembering what a sentence is
about from one line to the ... look, a chicken!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Meat Plow wrote:
On Wed, 16 May 2007 03:28:47 +0000, mstrspy wrote:

I have one of those neighbors. Couple of weeks ago I posted here about
an old abandoned sepic tank caving in. I filled it with bolders,
stones and sand. It is solid so no one will fall in. My neighbor told
me that I should have called clean harbor an have it removed at a huge
cost. The truth is that there is nothing to remove. The steel tank has
disintegrated. There has been no sewage in this tank for over 60
years. Why is this considered a health hazzard? If I try to sell my
house my neighbor will probably mention it to any prospective buyer
(or the person who eventually buys it). I'm not sure how he found out
about it. By the way, I live in New Hampsire. Not sure what the laws
are regarding this.

Tell the neighbor you will file harassment charges.

Hmmm,
You don't sound like a good neighbor either, LOL!

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Goedjn says...

On Wed, 16 May 2007 14:48:54 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Ryan" wrote in message
. ..
On 16 May 2007 14:26:58 -0700, "
wrote:

[...]

Huh? Where?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , FM wrote:

Was it chick little? oh nooooooo, the sky is falling.
LOL

I thought that was Al Gore's line...

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pursuant to Camara v. Municipal Court of City and County of San
Francisco, 387 U. S. 523 (1967) public officials do need a warrant to
enter private property if the owner does not consent to their entry.
The rest of the story is that the US Supreme Court ruled that the only
probable cause needed is the need to conduct public safety inspections.
The upshot of their decision is that warrants are required but they are
easy to get.
--
Tom Horne

Well we aren't no thin blue heroes and yet we aren't no blackguards to.
We're just working men and woman most remarkable like you.

wrote:
On May 16, 9:18 am, "Steve Barker"
wrote:
So, you basically filled an old empty, dry, hole with rock. There's no
problem that I see.

So, you're familiar with the laws specific to abandoned septic tanks
in his town in NH?

Let it lawn over and the neighbor won't have a leg to
stand on.

He has a leg to stand on if the law wasn't followed and he reports
it. Not saying this is true, but it sure is possible, unless you know
the law and whether what he did met the reqts of the law.

Anyone wanting to snoop will need a search warrant.

I seriously doubt a municipal code or health official needs a search
warrant to enter a yard to look at a reported health/safety problem.
They aren't entering the domicile and it's a public health issue.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Goedjn" wrote

Some people don't have trouble remembering what a sentence is
about from one line to the ... look, a chicken!

Me to a tee. Now what did I come in this room for?

Steve

Old Septic Tank Caved in mstrspy Home Repair 43 April 28th 07 09:12 AM
Septic tank roots donh Home Repair 11 April 28th 07 05:14 AM
septic tank treatment [email protected] Home Repair 2 April 26th 07 04:48 PM
Septic tank risers jake Home Repair 1 August 19th 06 06:39 AM
Help - septic tank ( or not?) howardsend UK diy 23 March 16th 06 07:02 PM