DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Put down garden lime with a rotary spreader? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/199964-put-down-garden-lime-rotary-spreader.html)

dean May 7th 07 04:08 PM

Put down garden lime with a rotary spreader?

I've got 10 bags of lime to spread over my lawn. Is a rotary spreader
a good choice here? Do I need to be careful of clogging up the gears?

Thanks!

Dean

dpb May 7th 07 04:39 PM

On May 7, 9:08 am, dean wrote:
I've got 10 bags of lime to spread over my lawn. Is a rotary spreader
a good choice here? Do I need to be careful of clogging up the gears?

Not unless it is granulized for the purpose of spreading w/ one it
won't work well. Lime tends to simply pack into a solid chunk w/ an
ordinary rotary because the agitator isn't big/tough enough to break
it up. I've seen the cheaper plastic ones simply strip the spinner
while better ones basically just rotate and the product bridges over
above them. Need a linear drop-type spreader or simply throw it out
w/ a shovel and till to spread it around and even it out.

dean May 7th 07 05:11 PM

On May 7, 10:39 am, dpb wrote:
On May 7, 9:08 am, dean wrote:

I've got 10 bags of lime to spread over my lawn. Is a rotary spreader
a good choice here? Do I need to be careful of clogging up the gears?

Not unless it is granulized for the purpose of spreading w/ one it
won't work well. Lime tends to simply pack into a solid chunk w/ an
ordinary rotary because the agitator isn't big/tough enough to break
it up. I've seen the cheaper plastic ones simply strip the spinner
while better ones basically just rotate and the product bridges over
above them. Need a linear drop-type spreader or simply throw it out
w/ a shovel and till to spread it around and even it out.

Its a fine powder. Do you think if I sieve it, it would be ok? The
powder seems to be pretty much non-lumpy as far as I can tell. I have
too much area for a dropper.

willshak May 7th 07 05:13 PM

dean wrote:
I've got 10 bags of lime to spread over my lawn. Is a rotary spreader
a good choice here? Do I need to be careful of clogging up the gears?

Thanks!

Dean

I just put some pulverized limestone down with a Scotts drop spreader. I
started out with a setting of 4 but had to jack it up to 10 before I saw
an appreciable amount of limestone on the lawn. I didn't use the rotary
spreader because I figured I would get more on me than the lawn. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Mac May 7th 07 05:14 PM

dean wrote:
On May 7, 10:39 am, dpb wrote:
On May 7, 9:08 am, dean wrote:

I've got 10 bags of lime to spread over my lawn. Is a rotary spreader
a good choice here? Do I need to be careful of clogging up the gears?

Not unless it is granulized for the purpose of spreading w/ one it
won't work well. Lime tends to simply pack into a solid chunk w/ an
ordinary rotary because the agitator isn't big/tough enough to break
it up. I've seen the cheaper plastic ones simply strip the spinner
while better ones basically just rotate and the product bridges over
above them. Need a linear drop-type spreader or simply throw it out
w/ a shovel and till to spread it around and even it out.

Its a fine powder. Do you think if I sieve it, it would be ok? The
powder seems to be pretty much non-lumpy as far as I can tell. I have
too much area for a dropper.

it'll burn the foliage. to put that kind of lime on existing grass you
should mix it with water and spray it on. or get granualized lime.

[email protected] May 7th 07 05:18 PM

On May 7, 10:13 am, willshak wrote:
dean wrote:
I've got 10 bags of lime to spread over my lawn. Is a rotary spreader
a good choice here? Do I need to be careful of clogging up the gears?

Thanks!

Dean

I just put some pulverized limestone down with a Scotts drop spreader. I
started out with a setting of 4 but had to jack it up to 10 before I saw
an appreciable amount of limestone on the lawn. I didn't use the rotary
spreader because I figured I would get more on me than the lawn. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

If it's pelletized, then it can be put down with a rotary. If it's
the powder type, it should be put down with a drop spreader. A
rotary will not work well, it will keep clogging. You might suffer
through one bag, but I would not want to try to go through 10 that way.

Jack May 7th 07 06:51 PM

Put down garden lime with a rotary spreader?

Also, pulverized goes all over the place if its windy with a broadcast
spreader.
..
Just curious...why are you not using pelletized lime?

oups.com...

dean May 7th 07 08:08 PM

.
Just curious...why are you not using pelletized lime?

oups.com...

dean wrote:
I've got 10 bags of lime to spread over my lawn. Is a rotary spreader
a good choice here? Do I need to be careful of clogging up the gears?

Thanks!

Dean

I just put some pulverized limestone down with a Scotts drop spreader. I
started out with a setting of 4 but had to jack it up to 10 before I saw
an appreciable amount of limestone on the lawn. I didn't use the rotary
spreader because I figured I would get more on me than the lawn. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

If it's pelletized, then it can be put down with a rotary. If it's
the powder type, it should be put down with a drop spreader. A
rotary will not work well, it will keep clogging. You might suffer
through one bag, but I would not want to try to go through 10 that way.- Hide quoted text -

Didn't see the peletized form. Any my neighbor showed me the stuff he
uses and its the same powdery stuff. Its cheap too!

I will try one bag with the rotary. Expecting to come back to the
house looking like a ghost!

Bob F May 8th 07 01:05 AM

Put down garden lime with a rotary spreader?

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 7, 10:39 am, dpb wrote:
On May 7, 9:08 am, dean wrote:

I've got 10 bags of lime to spread over my lawn. Is a rotary spreader
a good choice here? Do I need to be careful of clogging up the gears?

Not unless it is granulized for the purpose of spreading w/ one it
won't work well. Lime tends to simply pack into a solid chunk w/ an
ordinary rotary because the agitator isn't big/tough enough to break
it up. I've seen the cheaper plastic ones simply strip the spinner
while better ones basically just rotate and the product bridges over
above them. Need a linear drop-type spreader or simply throw it out
w/ a shovel and till to spread it around and even it out.

Its a fine powder. Do you think if I sieve it, it would be ok? The
powder seems to be pretty much non-lumpy as far as I can tell. I have
too much area for a dropper.

If the spreader has the gears encased so the lime can't get to
them, it will work fine. If the gears are visable, the lime will
quickly wear them out. Avoid overloading the hopper - that
stuff is heavy.

Bob