Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Extension ladder Rope & Pulley operation Help

I just bought a 20 ft. extension ladder and it came with a rope and
pulley system. How do you operate this. If I untie the knot, it
seems like I can just push the ladder up and lock it in place. Is the
rope just another alternative to extendind the ladder or is it a
safety mechanism that I need to do something with. If not, it is
necessary to tie the rope around one of the lower steps after
extension to secure or just let it dangle in place.

Thanks for all the advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 2, 12:55 pm, fishcakes wrote:
I just bought a 20 ft. extension ladder and it came with a rope and
pulley system. How do you operate this. If I untie the knot, it
seems like I can just push the ladder up and lock it in place. Is the
rope just another alternative to extendind the ladder or is it a
safety mechanism that I need to do something with. If not, it is
necessary to tie the rope around one of the lower steps after
extension to secure or just let it dangle in place.

Thanks for all the advice.

Well then, why don't you first ask the sales rep?

Then DAGS on, say, "extension ladder" and "rope".

Then maybe search your library.

Sorry, but this question indicates an extreme newbie who
didn't exercise due-diligence at point-of-sale.

Clue: rope is means of hoisting upper section when it's
extended some, by pulling down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

fishcakes wrote:
I just bought a 20 ft. extension ladder and it came with a rope and
pulley system. How do you operate this. If I untie the knot, it
seems like I can just push the ladder up and lock it in place. Is the
rope just another alternative to extendind the ladder or is it a
safety mechanism that I need to do something with. If not, it is
necessary to tie the rope around one of the lower steps after
extension to secure or just let it dangle in place.

Thanks for all the advice.

First, don't let if just "dangle" around any area where you'll step! The
rope should "dangle" behind the ladder, e.g. between the ladder and whatever
it's leaning against, so it doesn't get in the way of climbing the ladder.

The rope is handy to assisting in extending the ladder and again in letting
the ladder extension drop back down a bit, so it "hooks" properly onto a
step and doesn't accidentally fall all the way back closed again.
It allows for one-man setups, mostly.

See he
http://www.builderbill-diy-help.com/ladders.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 2, 1:10 pm, wrote:
On May 2, 12:55 pm, fishcakes wrote:

I just bought a 20 ft. extension ladder and it came with a rope and
pulley system. How do you operate this. If I untie the knot, it
seems like I can just push the ladder up and lock it in place. Is the
rope just another alternative to extendind the ladder or is it a
safety mechanism that I need to do something with. If not, it is
necessary to tie the rope around one of the lower steps after
extension to secure or just let it dangle in place.

Thanks for all the advice.

Well then, why don't you first ask the sales rep?

Then DAGS on, say, "extension ladder" and "rope".

Then maybe search your library.

Sorry, but this question indicates an extreme newbie who
didn't exercise due-diligence at point-of-sale.

Clue: rope is means of hoisting upper section when it's
extended some, by pulling down.

J...I don't know where you live, but near me trying to find help in HD
on a Saturday morning is like finding a needle in a haystack. Finding
anyone is a chore. Due-diligence, I bought a ladder, I'm not doing a
corporate acquisition. Just wanted a quick clarification. That's
what this group is for. So what are you saying, the only questions
that can be posted here are the ones you like, if you didn't like it,
ignore it.

Pop' - Thank you so much for the response. It was very helpful. Much
Apprecated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2 May 2007 09:55:40 -0700, fishcakes wrote:

I just bought a 20 ft. extension ladder and it came with a rope and
pulley system. How do you operate this. If I untie the knot, it
seems like I can just push the ladder up and lock it in place. Is the
rope just another alternative to extendind the ladder or is it a
safety mechanism that I need to do something with. If not, it is
necessary to tie the rope around one of the lower steps after
extension to secure or just let it dangle in place.

Thanks for all the advice.

The rope is INTENDED just to extend the ladder, since you can't
reach the extended section when it's extended. I ALSO wrap it
around two overlapping rungs and tie it off once the ladder
is in place, but that's more to keep the rope under control than
anything else. I also tie the ladder to something near the
top (a screw eye driven into the eave, for instance), because
I get enough wind that I could easily loose the ladder while
I'm on the roof, or have it blow over while I've gone into the
house after a brush. Falling ladders break things.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

fishcakes wrote:
I just bought a 20 ft. extension ladder and it came with a rope and
pulley system. How do you operate this. If I untie the knot, it
seems like I can just push the ladder up and lock it in place. Is the
rope just another alternative to extendind the ladder or is it a
safety mechanism that I need to do something with. If not, it is
necessary to tie the rope around one of the lower steps after
extension to secure or just let it dangle in place.

Thanks for all the advice.

For me, the rope and pulley are a royal PITA. I generally do the
ladder extending on the ground and walk it up into place, so a rope/
pulley serves no purpose. Best kept in place for anti-wind tie-offs,
though. Walkng the ladder back down and collapsing on the ground is
much less hassle than trying to do it on the house or other work site
and risk damaging fresh paint, siding or whatever. Of course YMMV, so
always work safely as best you can. Incidentally, I see some pro
roofers driving around with no ropes on any equipment on their ladder
racks.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...

fishcakes wrote:
[...]

I'd love to see how you "walk up" an extended 32' heavy duty ladder.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

fishcakes wrote:
I just bought a 20 ft. extension ladder and it came with a rope and
pulley system. How do you operate this. If I untie the knot, it
seems like I can just push the ladder up and lock it in place. Is the
rope just another alternative to extendind the ladder or is it a
safety mechanism that I need to do something with. If not, it is
necessary to tie the rope around one of the lower steps after
extension to secure or just let it dangle in place.

Thanks for all the advice.

It's used to extend the ladder. You can let it hang, but I usually tie
it off so that it doesn't blow in the wind and wind around the ladder
where my feet will eventually look for a footing.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:
fishcakes wrote:

I just bought a 20 ft. extension ladder and it came with a rope and
pulley system. How do you operate this. If I untie the knot, it
seems like I can just push the ladder up and lock it in place. Is the
rope just another alternative to extendind the ladder or is it a
safety mechanism that I need to do something with. If not, it is
necessary to tie the rope around one of the lower steps after
extension to secure or just let it dangle in place.

Thanks for all the advice.

It's used to extend the ladder. You can let it hang, but I usually tie
it off so that it doesn't blow in the wind and wind around the ladder
where my feet will eventually look for a footing.

Speaking of footing....

Here's a tip some of you may want to use.

Take a few moments to pray paint the bottom rungs of all your ladders
with day-glo orange paint.

You'll decrease your chance of mistaking the second rung for the first,
and stepping off the ladder two feet from the ground. So, you won't end
up on your ass with an open bucket of paint splashed all over the place
and a sprained ankle or worse. (DAMHIKT)

It works particularly well if the bottom of the ladder is partially
obstructed by shrubbery or when dusk is setting in.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

I learned my ladder handling in the fire service and we tend to be more
rigid about our procedures then homeowners or trades people. We wrap
the lowest overlapping rungs of the ladder with two turns of rope and
then tie the rope off to a rung at waist height with a clove hitch and
an overhand safety. Do not tie a clove hitch around two rungs as a
clove hitch will not hold against any internal strain.

The reason that is probably not really necessary for your ladder is that
your not using it under emergency conditions and the rope that is
provided with your ladder is not rated to hold the same weight as the
ladder is. With fire service ladder halyards the ropes are selected and
maintained to support the ladders five hundred pound load rating.

Out of pure habit I use all ladders the same way and the tied off rope
prevented a ladder collapse when the pawls were not properly engaged on
one ladder due to the tree branches it had been extended through.
--
Tom Horne

Well we aren't no thin blue heroes and yet we aren't no blackguards to.
We're just working men and woman most remarkable like you.

fishcakes wrote:
I just bought a 20 ft. extension ladder and it came with a rope and
pulley system. How do you operate this. If I untie the knot, it
seems like I can just push the ladder up and lock it in place. Is the
rope just another alternative to extendind the ladder or is it a
safety mechanism that I need to do something with. If not, it is
necessary to tie the rope around one of the lower steps after
extension to secure or just let it dangle in place.

Thanks for all the advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

fishcakes wrote:
I just bought a 20 ft. extension ladder and it came with a rope and
pulley system. How do you operate this. If I untie the knot, it
seems like I can just push the ladder up and lock it in place. Is the
rope just another alternative to extendind the ladder or is it a
safety mechanism that I need to do something with. If not, it is
necessary to tie the rope around one of the lower steps after
extension to secure or just let it dangle in place.

Thanks for all the advice.

I took the rope off of my 20 foot ladder many years ago.
It was really more trouble than it was worth. If you
plan to use it fully extended (that's 16 feet) you might
need the rope for the last rung or maybe 2. For what
I do I never need to extend it that far. I can push it
up by hand to over head height and that is far enough.

Bill Gill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 2, 2:03 pm, fishcakes wrote:
On May 2, 1:10 pm, wrote:

[...]

Nope. Just pointing to reasonable first-search-steps.

And ... since so many people suffer serious injuries on ladders, but
that's another story. I'd ask a neighbor or a friend before strangers.

Thanks for explaining "what the group is for."

Ever hear "RTFM"?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On May 2, 3:01 pm, "Bob F" wrote:

snip

I'd love to see how you "walk up" an extended 32' heavy duty ladder.

Bob

I don't walk up anything taller than 25' and I wouldn't even bother
with a 32' or taller HD ladder. With the latter (ladder?) it's time
to get out the scaffolding and do the job faster.
The OP was concerned with a 20' ladder, and with a light weight tool
like that a rope is little use. You are right in pointing out that
very tall heavy ladders are best extended with rope and pulley.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 2, 1:10 pm, wrote:

[...]

Hey J......look at all the great responses to my question and the
wonderful ideas & suggestions people have about using an extension
ladder. These are the "normal" kinds of responses I was looking for;
never expected RTFM; which is somewhat in line with what what I was
hoping for...just even better. BTW, the jig is up, thanks to you,
this thread is definitely going to be the centerpiece of my Masters
thesis...why did you think it was such a basic, moronic post...and you
fell for the bait...thanks for what I'm sure will be an "A".

Posted to alt.home.repair

"fishcakes" wrote in message
oups.com...

Hey J......look at all the great responses to my question and the
wonderful ideas & suggestions people have about using an extension
ladder. These are the "normal" kinds of responses I was looking for;
never expected RTFM; which is somewhat in line with what what I was
hoping for...just even better. BTW, the jig is up, thanks to you,
this thread is definitely going to be the centerpiece of my Masters
thesis...why did you think it was such a basic, moronic post...and you
fell for the bait...thanks for what I'm sure will be an "A".

As it appears that no one has attempted to answer your question I shall
attempt to .

Let us call the two sections of the ladder the base and the extension. at
the top of the base mount the pulley, and then secure one end of the rope to
the bottom of the extension section.

Now when the ladder is upright but shorter than you desire you pull on the
rope and the extension section will move up, effectively making your ladder
longer.

Be sure to keep your fingers out of the way when the sections are sliding.

Does that help at all?

--
Roger Shoaf

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to barry, CK wrote:
barry wrote:

Nope. Just pointing to reasonable first-search-steps.
And ... since so many people suffer serious injuries on ladders, but
that's another story. I'd ask a neighbor or a friend before strangers.
Thanks for explaining "what the group is for."
Ever hear "RTFM"?

If you don't want to be helpful, just go back to kicking the dog for fun,
probably don't need to RTFM for that, and let someone that may actually
knows something answer the man...
CK

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 2, 2014 4:44:02 PM UTC-4, CK wrote:
replying to barry, CK wrote:

barry wrote:

Nope. Just pointing to reasonable first-search-steps.

And ... since so many people suffer serious injuries on ladders, but

that's another story. I'd ask a neighbor or a friend before strangers.

Thanks for explaining "what the group is for."

Ever hear "RTFM"?

If you don't want to be helpful, just go back to kicking the dog for fun,

probably don't need to RTFM for that, and let someone that may actually

knows something answer the man...

CK

Speaking of knowing something, do you know the thread you're
replying to ended 7 years ago?
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to barry, CK wrote:

barry wrote:

Nope. Just pointing to reasonable first-search-steps.

And ... since so many people suffer serious injuries on ladders, but

that's another story. I'd ask a neighbor or a friend before strangers.

Thanks for explaining "what the group is for."

Ever hear "RTFM"?

If you don't want to be helpful, just go back to kicking the dog for fun,

probably don't need to RTFM for that, and let someone that may actually

knows something answer the man...

CK

Speaking of knowing something, do you know the thread you're
replying to ended 7 years ago?

I got 100:1 on the odds in Vegas that he doesn't. One of those
Flashnews group web forum users.

Where do I collect my money?!
--
"Dumb is local...As soon as you go 15 miles away from your dumbness, you see how dumb you are." -- Sherrod Small
Posted to alt.home.repair

CK wrote:
replying to barry, CK wrote:
barry wrote:

Nope. Just pointing to reasonable first-search-steps.
And ... since so many people suffer serious injuries on ladders, but
that's another story. I'd ask a neighbor or a friend before strangers.
Thanks for explaining "what the group is for."
Ever hear "RTFM"?

If you don't want to be helpful, just go back to kicking the dog for fun,
probably don't need to RTFM for that, and let someone that may actually
knows something answer the man... CK

Hmm,
Whoa! need to read the manual or help from some one else to figure out
that? Amazing!