DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Servicing Home Generator (Kohler 12 kW) (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/199480-servicing-home-generator-kohler-12-kw.html)

Ditzy Brunette May 1st 07 08:14 PM

Servicing Home Generator (Kohler 12 kW)

Preventative maintenance contract with company that installed unit is
$295 per year and calls for two annual visits to include oil change,
new oil filter, new air filter, change spark plugs, check battery and
charger, check output voltage, load test the unit, check connections,
and check operation of unit.

Problem is that it's like pulling teeth to get the technicians out
here and there are no other Kohler people in the area.

QUESTION: Can a general electrical contractor perform the duties
above, or does he need specialized training in Kohler home generators?

[email protected] May 1st 07 08:55 PM

On May 1, 3:14 pm, Windswept@home (Ditzy Brunette) wrote:
Preventative maintenance contract with company that installed unit is
$295 per year and calls for two annual visits to include oil change,
new oil filter, new air filter, change spark plugs, check battery and
charger, check output voltage, load test the unit, check connections,
and check operation of unit.

Problem is that it's like pulling teeth to get the technicians out
here and there are no other Kohler people in the area.

QUESTION: Can a general electrical contractor perform the duties
above, or does he need specialized training in Kohler home generators?

Any competent mechanic should be able to perform tests and
maintenance.
Changing all that stuff may be overkill; how much run-time does unit
get
per year? Whose engine is it? Onan?

Sounds like extortion.

Note that when testing unit (which likely should be done more than
twice
per year) you want to put it under load until temps stabilize. Not
just a
few minutes. I'd rotate fuel-supply, given the option.

HTH,

KC May 1st 07 09:30 PM

Ditzy Brunette wrote:
Preventative maintenance contract with company that installed unit is
$295 per year and calls for two annual visits to include oil change,
new oil filter, new air filter, change spark plugs, check battery and
charger, check output voltage, load test the unit, check connections,
and check operation of unit.

Problem is that it's like pulling teeth to get the technicians out
here and there are no other Kohler people in the area.

QUESTION: Can a general electrical contractor perform the duties
above, or does he need specialized training in Kohler home generators?

I used to maintain commercial units. Most responsible mechanics can
change oil & filters, and most responsible electricians can check
voltages & connections. That covers 90% of your maintenance. But when
you get into the electronics & timing of the transfer switch
operation, that's where I'd want a trained person working on my unit.
-KC