DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Split PVC repair? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/199442-split-pvc-repair.html)

[email protected] May 1st 07 01:38 PM

Split PVC repair?

We're opening a water line closed in winters to avoid freezing splits.
Just found a spot at the end of a long run that has split.Our son told
us about it but neither of us has seen how the crack goes. Is there
an adhesive that can be applied to soak into the split and seal it?

Edwin Pawlowski May 1st 07 02:16 PM

Split PVC repair?

wrote in message
We're opening a water line closed in winters to avoid freezing splits.
Just found a spot at the end of a long run that has split.Our son told
us about it but neither of us has seen how the crack goes. Is there
an adhesive that can be applied to soak into the split and seal it?

Cut it out and replace it. Should be simple enough to do with pvc.

Charlie Bress May 1st 07 05:24 PM

Split PVC repair?

wrote in message
We're opening a water line closed in winters to avoid freezing splits.
Just found a spot at the end of a long run that has split.Our son told
us about it but neither of us has seen how the crack goes. Is there
an adhesive that can be applied to soak into the split and seal it?

I was just picking up some PVC fittings at HD and came across a two piece
PVC patch for small defects. No idea if it is any good. Might be worth a try
because you don't have to cut the leaking part out and don't need any slack
in the pipe to get a coupling on.

If you try it a report (good or bad) will help others.

Charlie

newman May 1st 07 06:01 PM

Split PVC repair?

I used an expandable PVC coupler. It expands from about 1" to about 4"
long.

It was perfect for my application and hasn't leaked so far-been in about 3
months.. Kept me from digging up and replacing some PVC.

Got it at local hardware store (Ace).

KC May 1st 07 08:24 PM

Split PVC repair?

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
We're opening a water line closed in winters to avoid freezing splits.
Just found a spot at the end of a long run that has split.Our son told
us about it but neither of us has seen how the crack goes. Is there
an adhesive that can be applied to soak into the split and seal it?

Cut it out and replace it. Should be simple enough to do with pvc.

Ditto. My experience with freezing PVC is that splits rarely run a
few inches - they're usually measured in feet.

KC