DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Taking apart GE electric stove (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/199412-taking-apart-ge-electric-stove.html)

Ben May 1st 07 02:39 AM

Taking apart GE electric stove

I have a GE electric stove model JBP26G*J4 from the late 80s. Two of
the burners are working intermittantly, so I want to pull the stove
apart to see if I can fix it without calling for help. Does anyone
know where I can find instructions for disassembling the stove, and
perhaps a schematics and specs for testing which parts are bad?

Thanks for your help,
-Ben

Joe May 1st 07 03:25 AM

Ben wrote:
I have a GE electric stove model JBP26G*J4 from the late 80s. Two of
the burners are working intermittantly, so I want to pull the stove
apart to see if I can fix it without calling for help. Does anyone
know where I can find instructions for disassembling the stove, and
perhaps a schematics and specs for testing which parts are bad?

Thanks for your help,
-Ben

Almost everyone checks out repairclinic.com first. Reported successes
are frequent. HTH

Joe

Ben May 1st 07 03:58 AM

Taking apart GE electric stove

On Apr 30, 9:42 pm, Meat Plow wrote:
Check the parts that mate together where the burner is inserted. Certainly
you don't have to take the entire stove apart. When problems like this
occur, because of the current you'll often see erosion and melted contacts.

I can pull out the burner, but I can't tell for sure whether the
contacts are working or not. I can't reach the receptacle where the
burners plug in without taking off the top of the stove, which is what
I'd like to do next.

Ben May 1st 07 03:59 AM

On Apr 30, 9:25 pm, Joe wrote:
Almost everyone checks out repairclinic.com first. Reported successes
are frequent.

I checked repairclinic.com, and it suggests replacing the burner and
the receptacle. However, I need to take the top off the stove to get
to the receptacle, and that's what I'd like help with if possible.

dpb May 1st 07 04:39 AM

On Apr 30, 7:39 pm, Ben wrote:
I have a GE electric stove model JBP26G*J4 from the late 80s. Two of
the burners are working intermittantly, so I want to pull the stove
apart to see if I can fix it without calling for help. Does anyone
know where I can find instructions for disassembling the stove, and
perhaps a schematics and specs for testing which parts are bad?

Schematics seem hard to come by. There's a general GE/Hotpoint Range
Repair Manual which is of some help GE Part WX10X112 available from
most any of the online appliance parts folks.

As for taking the thing apart, it's pretty straight forward. Remove
the back covers and the screws holding the rear control panel on each
side (2 or 3). Then, open the oven door and there are 5 (I think)
screws on the underside of the range top. Then the top just lays back
and it's all there in front of you...

If they're intermittant as someone else says sounds more like the
control rather than the burner itself. If it were the burner element
or the connector, I'd expect it to be pass/fail.

Ben May 1st 07 07:18 PM

Taking apart GE electric stove

On Apr 30, 10:20 pm, Meat Plow wrote:
Why not join their forum and ask there. You're much more likely to get an
exact answer than in alt.home.repair.

I don't see a forum at repairclinic.com. Is there something I'm
missing?

mm May 1st 07 08:42 PM

On 30 Apr 2007 18:59:36 -0700, Ben wrote:

On Apr 30, 9:25 pm, Joe wrote:
Almost everyone checks out repairclinic.com first. Reported successes
are frequent.

I checked repairclinic.com, and it suggests replacing the burner and
the receptacle. However, I need to take the top off the stove to get
to the receptacle, and that's what I'd like help with if possible.

What happens when you jiggle the burners? Do they start to go on.

As for the top, don't know specific models but if there is a crack an
inch or so down from the top, lift it up at the front. It probably
hinges at the back. There's probably a bracket to hold it up when
it's up.

dpb May 1st 07 09:55 PM

On May 1, 1:42 pm, mm wrote:
As for the top, don't know specific models but if there is a crack an
inch or so down from the top, lift it up at the front. It probably
hinges at the back. There's probably a bracket to hold it up when
it's up.

No hinges; see my earlier post where I describe how to open the top.

mm May 1st 07 11:52 PM

On 1 May 2007 12:55:37 -0700, dpb wrote:

On May 1, 1:42 pm, mm wrote:
As for the top, don't know specific models but if there is a crack an
inch or so down from the top, lift it up at the front. It probably
hinges at the back. There's probably a bracket to hold it up when
it's up.

No hinges; see my earlier post where I describe how to open the top.

OOps. You're right. I hadn't read it.