DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Receptacle and plug (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/199393-receptacle-plug.html)

Herb and Eneva April 30th 07 08:49 PM

Receptacle and plug

I have a gas powered golf cart that is seldom used and the starting
battery is usualy dead. I would like to install a receptacle on the side
of the cart with wires going to the battery so I can plug in a trickle
charger and will not have to lift the seat and hook up various leads. If
I can keep the trickle charger plugged in then the battery should stay
charged. Do y`all think this is practical? What size wire
should I use? TIA Herb

N8N April 30th 07 09:09 PM

Receptacle and plug

On Apr 30, 3:49 pm, (Herb and Eneva) wrote:
I have a gas powered golf cart that is seldom used and the starting
battery is usualy dead. I would like to install a receptacle on the side
of the cart with wires going to the battery so I can plug in a trickle
charger and will not have to lift the seat and hook up various leads. If
I can keep the trickle charger plugged in then the battery should stay
charged. Do y`all think this is practical? What size wire
should I use? TIA Herb

Look into a "battery tender," sounds like what you need there.

nate

Edwin Pawlowski April 30th 07 09:18 PM

Receptacle and plug

"Herb and Eneva" wrote in message
I have a gas powered golf cart that is seldom used and the starting
battery is usualy dead. I would like to install a receptacle on the side
of the cart with wires going to the battery so I can plug in a trickle
charger and will not have to lift the seat and hook up various leads. If
I can keep the trickle charger plugged in then the battery should stay
charged. Do y`all think this is practical? What size wire
should I use? TIA Herb

Sure. Use the same size wire as the trickle charger. Use a polarized plug
so you cannot cross the positive and negative..

dadiOH April 30th 07 09:20 PM

Receptacle and plug

Herb and Eneva wrote:
I have a gas powered golf cart that is seldom used and the
starting battery is usualy dead. I would like to install a
receptacle on the side of the cart with wires going to the battery
so I can plug in a trickle charger and will not have to lift the
seat and hook up various leads. If I can keep the trickle charger
plugged in then the battery should stay charged. Do y`all
think this is practical?

Sure. I did it with a garden tractor so I could plug in a
sprayer....body is ground so I just ran a wire from battery + to
receptacle, body to other side of receptacle.

What size wire should I use?

Look at the wires from the trickle charger that would normally hook to
battery...that size is fine. Probably #16, maybe even #18.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Chris Friesen April 30th 07 09:35 PM

Receptacle and plug

Herb and Eneva wrote:
I have a gas powered golf cart that is seldom used and the starting
battery is usualy dead. I would like to install a receptacle on the side
of the cart with wires going to the battery so I can plug in a trickle
charger and will not have to lift the seat and hook up various leads. If
I can keep the trickle charger plugged in then the battery should stay
charged. Do y`all think this is practical? What size wire
should I use? TIA Herb

Are you planning on leaving the trickle charger on the cart, or do you
want to plug the output of the trickle charger onto a receptacle on the
cart?

If the second one is what you're after, then there are all kinds of
possibilities, but I would stay away from standard home outlet receptacles.

Powercon or XLR connectors would both be available at audio supply
places. Another simple alternative would be an IEC C18 receptacle,
although you'd probably have to go to an electronics place for that.

Chris

jJim McLaughlin April 30th 07 09:54 PM

Receptacle and plug

Herb and Eneva wrote:
I have a gas powered golf cart that is seldom used and the starting
battery is usualy dead. I would like to install a receptacle on the side
of the cart with wires going to the battery so I can plug in a trickle
charger and will not have to lift the seat and hook up various leads. If
I can keep the trickle charger plugged in then the battery should stay
charged. Do y`all think this is practical? What size wire
should I use? TIA Herb

Trickle charger. Easy to do. 16 ga wire is fine.

DO NO UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES USE THE TYPICAL HOUSEHOLD SOCKET OR PLUG
IN YOUR WIRING.!

You'll find everything you need at a local NAPA or whatever auto parts
store. Spring for short rolls of 16 GA stranded wire in red and black.
Red positive, black negative., to keep your wiring simple. Get a
polarized plug and socket so you don't accidently screw up polarity on
your connections. There are literally dozens of various styles of low
voltage DC stuff out there that will handle the 2 amps or so a trickle
charger will putut. Let an auto parts person at a real auto parts store
(*not Walmart or its equivalent*) fix you up.

mm April 30th 07 11:35 PM

Receptacle and plug

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 15:49:53 -0400, (Herb and Eneva)
wrote:

I have a gas powered golf cart that is seldom used and the starting
battery is usualy dead. I would like to install a receptacle on the side
of the cart with wires going to the battery so I can plug in a trickle
charger and will not have to lift the seat and hook up various leads. If
I can keep the trickle charger plugged in then the battery should stay
charged. Do y`all think this is practical? What size wire
should I use? TIA Herb

I did that with my motorcycle. I used a two pin connector on the
charger end for which I had more than one matching half. So I may end
up putting similar wires on something else later, and be able to
easily move the battery charger from one to another.

When I had a 6-volt car, it need a totally full charge to start when
it was really cold, so I put a small charger in the engine compartment
an ddangled the cord out through the grill. I plugged my car into an
extension cord whenever I was home. Worked fine all winter, except
New Years Eve when it was zero degrees. The tow truck couldn't start
it either that night.

mm April 30th 07 11:36 PM

Receptacle and plug

wrote:

I have a gas powered golf cart that is seldom used and the starting
battery is usualy dead. I would like to install a receptacle on the side
of the cart with wires going to the battery so I can plug in a trickle
charger and will not have to lift the seat and hook up various leads. If
I can keep the trickle charger plugged in then the battery should stay
charged. Do y`all think this is practical? What size wire
should I use? TIA Herb

BTW, I cut my connectors out of old televisions etc.